Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL0.01/0.02: 2Hands against same vilain

Old
NL0.01/0.02: 2Hands against same vilain - Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hi all,

This is my first hand analyses for the forum, besides the BankRollBuilder.

I had medium hand and after strong hand against the same villain (very aggressive, but not so loose). Did I play well?

EDIT: the amount of the bet sizing scared me... that's it.

Last edited by SrPickwick; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Because you're short stacked your options are slightly more limited. As such I'm not a huge fan of playing QJs from UTG+2. Normally (if we insisted on playing it) I'd suggest raising but with two calls in front of you from such early position it's entirely possible that someone's got a decent pocket pair that they might consider 3-betting so I don't really HATE calling here. As it is you wind up with position and 2nd pair/decent kicker on the flop which is 4-way. Because there's so many players at the flop you should pretty much straight up be folding to a raise here. Someone is very likely to at least have an ace and if they do you probably have very few if any outs to improve.

2nd hand I would have folded preflop. Why? You have an ace with only an offsuit medium strength kicker. If it was just small blind vs. big blind then perhaps that would be good, but look at the rest of the table. You have two people that have limped in for 2c and if you call they'll both be getting good odds to call. While a weak ace might be good enough in a two-way pot, in a 3 or 4-way pot you usually want drawing hands (or very strong hands obviously).
The fold on the flop was correct though. The way V3 led out for almost double the pot suggests some kind of made hand hoping that someone else has hit a piece of the flop and is willing to get their chips in. I'd be expecting to be shown an overpair a good deal of the time here.

Finally I don't know if you're playing for most of your bankroll or not but if you're going to play with only 30-50BB, you'll want to be sticking to hands like ATs+,AJo+,KQs+,TT+, raising preflop and aiming to get your chips in when you connect with a board, leaving the other players calling with weaker. Drawing hands like low pocket pairs, suited connectors etc. are only profitable to play when both players have ~100+BB or so behind them, depending on the exact cards etc.

Hope some of that was helpful.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 01:13 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
First off thanks for that analyses. It helps obviously!

On first hand I opted to join in pre-flop mainly because I had suited connectors, given I think QJ is a dangerous hand pre-flop (like it shows here).

I'm going with minimum amount every time I'm playing because I don't feel much pressure from blinds (or ants if in tourney). I'm also trying to follow Ed Miller's advice from Professional No Limit Hold'Em where he advocates there's no real gain to weak/novice players like me, to risk all money in one game.

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 02:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Pickwick!

With QJs, I'm usually only playing the hand if everyone to act behind me is tight and unlikely to call or 3-bet, because I'd be be playing this hand by making an isolation raise. I'd raise to try and get heads up in position against a limper. The problem with that strategy here is that there are still 6 players yet to act behind you.
2NL games don't have a lot of aggressive 3-bettors, but if you over-limp, you're likely to cause lots of players to come along. It's very likely that at least one player behind you has a better hand, and even if they don't, 4 players will have position on you and can call for a bargain price. So this is not a good spot for an iso-raise or an overlimp. You should really only be playing QJs in the last 3 seats before the blinds.
Another reason to fold pre-flop is that your stack is short. When you play "drawing hands" like suited connectors, you need 100bb stacks in order to gain implied odds. If you chase a flush or straight, then you often need to see all 5 community cards to make your monster hand. You therefore need a bigger stack, firstly so you can actually get to the river, but also so you've got some money remaining for a big bet if you make your monster hand.
When you're shorter (e.g. 40bb, like here) stick to hands that make TPTK, overpairs and sets, where you know exactly where you are on the flop, and can get all your money in by the turn.
As played, 4 players see a flop and you make second pair with no draw. This is an easy fold. It is a leak to call bets with second pair and no overcards in a heads up pot. To do it multiway is very bad, because you likely need to make top 2 pairs or better if you want to beat them all. There's an ace on this flop and a flush draw for a suit you don't have. Get out at the first opportunity, because you do not have the best hand.

2. A7o is a trouble hand. You wouldn't be making a mistake if you folded this to a raise pre-flop every single time. Here, you're in the big blind, so only have to call 4c to see a flop, but you'll be out of position post-flop, which makes your decisions harder and also makes it difficult to get paid off when you have the best hand. On that note, what kind of flop are you hoping to hit? If it comes ace high, you're losing to A8-AK. If it comes 7-high, you're beaten by 88+.
The advice here is quite straightforward: Don't play ragged aces. They are among the biggest money-losers in all of poker.
As played, you flop top pair, but villain makes a big overbet. You're completely crushed by a set, and you're in bad shape against hands like AA-88. Folding is the only option.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:20 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Oh it does!

"4 players will have position on you and can call for a bargain price. So this is not a good spot for an iso-raise or an overlimp. You should really only be playing QJs in the last 3 seats before the blinds."

That makes a lot of sense.

"Here, you're in the big blind, so only have to call 4c to see a flop, but you'll be out of position post-flop, which makes your decisions harder and also makes it difficult to get paid off when you have the best hand. On that note, what kind of flop are you hoping to hit? If it comes ace high, you're losing to A8-AK. If it comes 7-high, you're beaten by 88+."

I know it's a rethorical question, but I was hoping to catch two pair or even a set... Unrealistic O_o I guess I was lucky he raized so much.

It did help a lot guys. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by SrPickwick; Tue Apr 09, 2013 at 11:46 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com