Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

50NL 6max. utg opens, +1 3-bets, I have AKs in the co and 4-bet?

Old
50NL 6max. utg opens, +1 3-bets, I have AKs in the co and 4-bet? - Tue Apr 09, 2013, 11:11 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

Was just testing my metal at low stakes. No reads but I actually have a hand AKs in the co facing an utg open and +1 3b.

Can we range a 1/2 stack 3b?

Was I correct to 4b here and then was my bet sizing ok?

Probably quite passive to check behind and not keep the initiative but a nice turn gave me a >>milestone pot<<.

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 07:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Forrest

I think your postflop line is great. You see someone cold call a four bet from under the gun and decide not to c-bet a dry flop. Clearly the best play. When they still don't show interest on a great turn card for you I think going bet-shove turn-river makes all the sense in the world. After all, you are very likely to have the best hand and there is more value in getting calls from JJ/QQ than the times we are going to get super trapped by KK/AA or potentially TT.

Preflop I could go either way here. I wouldn't mind a smaller four bet or a cold flat of the 7x three-bet. I guess a four-bet will be the easier way to play it. The way you sized this particular four-bet I think gives away your hand to a competent hand reader. Maybe you are sure that neither player is such a hand reader but I think sizing to 8.50 would give you more flexibility and encourage lighter continues from either player. Here I would be surprised if you set up a situation where you could profitably call someone's five-bet after four betting to that size. The reason isn't that your four-bet is too much of the effective stack, its just such a big multiple of the three-bet.

So not all four-bet sizing is about putting in X% or Y% of the effective stack, but the money in the pot and the size of the three-bet should also figure prominently. I wouldn't mind 8.50 or a flat call. But you definitely got the most important decisions in this hand right.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com