Old
is this better? - Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I think the queens hand was to passive but i had them on kk aa ak kq or something of that range maybe AK of clubs not to sure either way i was getting called on the flop and would ive been behind on the turn

The AQ hand the player who raised wa s very tight i was putting him on pockes ak aq he we checked i raised the turn he put me on a jack and re raised, maybe that was my 1st bad move by not raising the flop i wernt putting him on the flush but then another club hit giving me a queen flush when he put 60 cent in the pot i knew he had a flush the question was did he have the king either way i dnt think i can fold a queen flush

Last edited by mike2198; Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 04:52 PM..

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:56 PM
(#2)

on this hand we checked the flop so i was think he didnt have the ace and the only way im beat is if hes got KK so ikept firing off

ive had an amazing run of cards today ive had more pockets and AK than ive had all last week up till now and geuss what im still breaking even why because im not hitting these boards very well and maybe a mistake here anmd there but i dnt think ive done that bad that i should be breaking even with these made hands preflop

Last edited by mike2198; Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 05:00 PM..

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 05:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again Mike!

It's supposed to be one hand per thread to prevent confusion, but I'll quickly run through these.

1. KK. All fine to the flop. I like the c-bet too, as slowplaying top set could get your into trouble. But you've got to stop minraising. When villain raises the flop, make a bigger raise, so he'd be making a mistake to call with a draw. Here he has a very weirdly-played AA, but you'll feel sick if he had two hearts and sucked out a flush.
To help you with your bet-sizing, in the Pokerstars client software, Go to Options>Bet Slider Options and check the box "Bet-slider shortcut buttons". I'd recommend you go with 55% of pot, 65% of pot and 85% of pot, as these are good sizes for c-bets. (Smaller when you missed, or have a draw; medium for when you have a pair, but the flop is dry; larger for hands like TPTK and the flop is wet, or multiway. If a villain bets or raises you and you have a strong hand, you can click 65% or 85% and that will make a good raise for value that would be a mistake for villain to call.

2. You raised AQ UTG and got 3-bet. You should fold here. Since you opened in first position, your range should generally be very tight. For a villain to re-raise, he needs a super strong hand. If he's tight, then he'll have QQ+ and AK almost always. It's a huge leak to call 3-bets out of position with hands like QQ-TT or AQ. Fold to the 3-bet so you don't get taken to value town post-flop. As played, villain is never raising the turn with a hand you beat, so you should usually fold, but since he only minraises, you can call with the flush draw. It's pretty brutal that you both made a flush on the river and he has the only hand that beats you, but then I don't see him ever betting here without the nuts. He'll check behind with anything worse than a flush, and he simply won't show up with the Tc after this action.

3. Like in hand 2, you called a 3-bet out of position. Big leak. With QQ, you should either fold pre or make a 4-bet to take control of the hand. As played, I guess you called the turn bet because it was so small. Villain shouldn't be bluffing into two players, but I guess it's possible he has some random flush draw, unless he's got AK or AA and just wants to squeak out some value after you've shown weakness. You're obviously no good on the river, because the flush got there and villain made a decent sized bet.

4. JJ is played fine. I like the bets on flop and turn with your overpair, and your check behind on the river is good, because you're never being called if you bet again. I'm really surprised by villain's hand. That is NOT the correct way to play KK at 2NL.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
(#4)
The last QQ hand is fine apart from two minor mistakes. Pre-flop make it 8c (3bb + 1bb for the limper, like I recommended). You read the board and action well, because I agree that villain has no ace. For that reason, I'd usually bet smaller on the river, hoping to get called by hands like JJ-99 or 8x. Your pot-szed river bet is generally only going to be called by the better hands in his range, and may even cause a hand as good as jacks to fold.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 05:50 PM
(#5)
Ok cheers arty its good to hear some comments saying i done things right, yh il address the out of position calls to the re raise now, i knew on that AQ hand to fold especially vs this player but i was hoping to flop a monster because hes quite aggressive and would of been a nice pot

i like the idea of re raising when they 3bet me back but il keep that for the QQ and up i think its abit dangerous with the AQ depends on the player

Oh and sorry for all the hands i wanted you to look and lets us know on my play for these hands after you told me about my awful play on that other hand il be keeping any trappy hands for monsters only anyway cheers for having a look at those hands for us

Old
Wed Apr 10, 2013, 06:07 PM
(#6)
cool dnt know why i missed the 4 bet there and i can see what your saying by my pot bet on the river but he was abit of a calling station i wouldn't be surprised if he called more but then again i have seen some people slow play an ace with a weak kicker so i though apot bet was worth a shot still il take all these tips on board

Quick question if you have pocket aces in a 3 way pot on a board of 10 8 2 would you say it is safe to maybe check if they all check to you or should you do a half pot/ 75 ? im definitely betting on a flush draw board but what about this one it seems a shame to only make 12c with aces

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Quick question if you have pocket aces in a 3 way pot on a board of 10 8 2 would you say it is safe to maybe check if they all check to you or should you do a half pot/ 75 ? im definitely betting on a flush draw board but what about this one it seems a shame to only make 12c with aces
It would depend a lot on whether it's a single-raised or 3-bet pot and whether you have position or not, but I'd generally go with 65% of pot on the flop, because - at 2NL expecially - players will call with some random hands like Q9 (gutshot and 1 over) or just ace high. When they've all checked to you, they often have nothing, so a smaller bet than usual is fine, but tend to make it at least half pot. Obviously you can also get value if they have a pair. Often though, you just can't get any value, because players will completely miss the flop about 70% of the time. It's not a good idea to slowplay, however, because you might let someone hit bottom set or a weird two pair for free.
It's better to win a small pot than than lose a big one!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
(#8)
ok makes sense, i guess its best to keep things simple, i was thinking aswel what if they hit there pocket 3s on the turn id become unstuck cheers anyway

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com