Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$3 nlh sng

Old
$3 nlh sng - Thu Apr 11, 2013, 05:52 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi first time getting reviews on my playing so please correct me if I am doing this wrong.

I am consistently losing tourneys at the moment and still trying to figure out what my mistakes are. When I started playing online I seemed to play looser but win more. Now after trying to follow the advise of pokerschoolonline tutorials and tighten up my game a bit, I seem to endlessly lose games and not sure where my errors are occuring. I tried going back to my loose play method and lost even quicker as I couldnt remember what I was doing exactly. pokerschool you've ruined me!

Here is a good example of where I am not totally sure how to play a hand. I get QK. I am not too sure of terminology yet but Sassy and Jokkez had been playing well from what I could tell and both seemed to get in the game a lot. Patron Bit hardly played but had low cards to the river sometimes. I will post one or two more from this same game. I have removed the result as per instructions about posting.

[38/46]
##########################################
PokerStars Game 96988816246 / Tournament
Table 717494544 1 -
Blinds : 75/150
##########################################

4 players
[SB] Jokkez 85 (2230)
[BB] Patron-bit (715)
[1] mdkb123 (3115)
[But] SazzyGirl83 (2940)

mdkb123 Initial Pot: 225

mdkb123 raises to 300
SazzyGirl83 folds
Jokkez 85 calls 225
Patron-bit folds
### FLOP ### Pot: 750
Jokkez 85 checks
mdkb123 bets 150
Jokkez 85 calls 150
### TURN ### Pot: 1050
Jokkez 85 checks
mdkb123 checks
### RIVER ### Pot: 1050
Jokkez 85 checks
mdkb123 checks

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 07:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
this is a fun hand, again i like your min raise and again i dont like your min bet i like that you bet her but make it half pot, then on the turn i would personaly would bet around half pot, here is why. you are on the buble and he has a decent stack with that thewre is a really short stacked guy. if he wants to play correct he should play really tight against you because ypu can bust him so he has fold everything except really strong hands. if he calls the turn bet i would be done with the hand.

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
understanding the other players perspective - Thu Apr 11, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#3)
Hi adohole

thankyou for your insights, this is really good for me. I have read this about 10 times so far trying to adjust my thinking away from what I am doing here, and onto what the opponent is thinking based on situation. It's a lot to take in. I think I am going to have to read it another 50 times and keep on this concept as it clearly doesn't come naturally when I am out there on the tables. but I totally hear what you are saying on every point and it makes absolute sense.

for the record he showed

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 05:43 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi mdkb123

I am glad to hear that you are following our advice but I am saddened to hear that it hasn't been working out for you!

I believe you need to look further into your bet sizing because although your preflop bet sizing seems to be ok in this hand, your continuation bet sizing is far too small and it will give your opponents the impression that you have a weak hand.

A standard c-bet size hovers around the 50% of the pot mark. So in this case as the pot is 750 on the flop I would go ahead and bet 50% of the pot (375).

You will find a dramatic increase in your continuation but success if you stick to this basic rule of thumb.

I hope this helps. Cheers, Chris.

Old
c bet - Thu Apr 11, 2013, 05:52 PM
(#5)
Hi Chris

thanks, this is very much the impression I got from the replies to my posts so far and actually makes a lot of sense as to why I have probably lost the last 20 or so tourneys since applying tutorial methods to my play. I thought I was going nuts. Especially when before tutorials I was winning 2 out of 4 tourneys. It is that big a difference between what was my natural play and what happened after going through the tutorials.

I will be really interested to see if this single point is the key to this issue as I have been mystified by the huge difference and just could not see what was going wrong other than ending up at the river with a slap round the chops.

not sure why I have had the impression the flop bet should be based on the BB size or be around the same size as the preflop bet but that is what I have been working to all this time since the various video tutorials and online info I have been trying to adjust my game to. As of now this will change.

we shall see.

with any luck I will have a couple of hours tonight to get some play in.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com