Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Am I right?

Old
Am I right? - Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=D6E93C0718

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:18 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi georgepuu!

What type of tourney is this from? In most instances, that CAN have an effect on the best ways to play a hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi georgepuu!

What type of tourney is this from? In most instances, that CAN have an effect on the best ways to play a hand.

John (JWK24)

John,

The tourney is open skill league.

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi georgepuu!

The goal of any of the league games is to last as long as possible in order to accumulate as many points as I can for the end of the month leaderboards, as that's where the real $$ is. To do so, I want to only play premium hands and to never be all-in unless I'm sure that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. I do not want to leave anything up to chance if I can avoid it.

With AQo from middle postion, there is a limp in front of me. If I'm going to play the hand, which I will only do if I know there are no aggressive opponents behind me that could re-raise me, I will make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 1 limper, I will raise to 4BB or 160. If there are any aggressive opps behind me, I'm going to muck and wait for a better hand or when I'm in position. Taking a risk early in these tourneys is definitely NOT worth the reward of a few tournament chips.
If any opp re-raises me, since I do not have a made hand (I only have A high), I need to muck and conserve my chips so that I can last longer and get more league points.

I want to keep all of my bets standard, so that the opps are continually guessing as to the cards that I have and I will make the same bets with any hand that I'm willing to play. A lot of players bet more with their better hands and less with their worse hands and this is a tell that will turn their cards face-up to an observant opponent... which the opp can then exploit.

The keys to league games is to basically never take chances and to last as long as possible, regardless of how many chips I have in front of me. The longer that I last in them, the more points that I will earn and the more $$ this can be worth at the end of the month.... which is the real goal in these tourneys.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 11, 2013, 09:36 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi georgepuu!

The goal of any of the league games is to last as long as possible in order to accumulate as many points as I can for the end of the month leaderboards, as that's where the real $$ is. To do so, I want to only play premium hands and to never be all-in unless I'm sure that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. I do not want to leave anything up to chance if I can avoid it.

With AQo from middle postion, there is a limp in front of me. If I'm going to play the hand, which I will only do if I know there are no aggressive opponents behind me that could re-raise me, I will make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 1 limper, I will raise to 4BB or 160. If there are any aggressive opps behind me, I'm going to muck and wait for a better hand or when I'm in position. Taking a risk early in these tourneys is definitely NOT worth the reward of a few tournament chips.
If any opp re-raises me, since I do not have a made hand (I only have A high), I need to muck and conserve my chips so that I can last longer and get more league points.

I want to keep all of my bets standard, so that the opps are continually guessing as to the cards that I have and I will make the same bets with any hand that I'm willing to play. A lot of players bet more with their better hands and less with their worse hands and this is a tell that will turn their cards face-up to an observant opponent... which the opp can then exploit.

The keys to league games is to basically never take chances and to last as long as possible, regardless of how many chips I have in front of me. The longer that I last in them, the more points that I will earn and the more $$ this can be worth at the end of the month.... which is the real goal in these tourneys.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

John, Thanks for your reply.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com