Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$3.50 fifty50, bubble...is this a shove?

Old
$3.50 fifty50, bubble...is this a shove? - Fri Apr 12, 2013, 05:22 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2012

im 1st in chips in the SB. in the BB is a shortie
he is so short that i think he could call light
if he calls and i win, the tour ends and i will have a big cash
if he calls and i lose, i will be 3rd in chips
do i shove here or not?

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 06:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
this is a close one depends on how he has bene playing, if he has been playing really tight im shoving otherwise its a fold he just cant fold here if he is playing normaly

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Espada_Nu.4!

While I'm absolutely going to look to shove a wide range here, I'm going to fold and let the opp have this one and here's why.

If I shove and the opp calls (which they should do VERY wide), I will have 1215 chips invested into a pot that will be 2730 (44.5%).

I then to go pokerstove to see how much equity I have and even against a 50% range (really wide), I only have 35% equity. Even if they played ATC here, I'm still just under 44.5%. That means that even if they play every single hand, it's a chip -EV play for me and it will be an even larger negative tournament EV!

Another problem with calling is that if I lose, I drop from the bigstack to 3rd in chips, but I'm also going to be dangerously close to even dropping to 6th and being out of the $$.

Another big problem here is that each chip is worth exta money at the end of the tourney. If I call here, I can easily lose 2 out of every 3 times (or even more) and each time I lose, it costs me over $1 in real money... which is HUGE considering that it's only a $3.50 tournament.

While I'd like to take the opp out and end the tourney, I need to make sure that I don't leak off my chips since they do have cash value when the tourney ends, so I'm mucking.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com