Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Apr 13, 2013, 02:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Sat Apr 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fon1k View Post
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 13, 2013, 07:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Fon1k,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 11:45 AM
(#4)
I did as you told me; watched the video, passed the test, and here's the hand:

I had AJ in LP and nobody called before me so naturally i raised and flopped 2 pairs, which then turned into a full house on the turn. My question is: should i have gone all-in on the flop?

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 07:05 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 07:49 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fon1k View Post
I did as you told me; watched the video, passed the test, and here's the hand:

I had AJ in LP and nobody called before me so naturally i raised and flopped 2 pairs, which then turned into a full house on the turn. My question is: should i have gone all-in on the flop?
Hi Fon1k

Nice hand

AJo is a great hand to open with from middle or late postion. Normally I would suggest making it 3bb, but since this is playmoney, going 4x is good since players call much lighter.

The flop is good for you but pretty dangerous with straight and flush draws. Normally, I would suggest betting 70% or the pot, perhaps pot sized on play money. However, since you were facing a bet, making a 3x raise is perfect. Nice bet sizing

The turn is fantastic! Now, you want to get the most value out of the hand as possible. The only way to build the pot when it checks around to you is to bet. In these spots at microstakes, bet for value every single chance you get. Slowplaying just loses you value. Bet and raise every chance you get and take the villain to value town!

There is another reason why it is extremely important to bet the turn here. Anyone drawing to a straight or flush, still believes they have a chance of making their hand on the river. Bet now on the turn while they still have hope. If they miss their draw on the river, they will not be putting more money in the pot! In this hand, you were lucky. The villain made a flush and paid you off.

Keep it up

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 03:32 PM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#8)

I had Q10, called, got raised, called again, then flopped top pair with medium kicker. The thurn and river were both 8s.
This is the hand, and my question regarding this hand is: should i have made a continuation bet on the turn?

I passed the Cash Game quiz.

The answer to the bet sizing video is: in order to represent a very strong hand (a bluff) when you actually have air, to protect your hand against draws and a big bet can also be used for putting pressure on your opponents, making them doubt the strength of their hands and maybe mucking so you can bring home the pot.

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:33 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:06 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Fon1k! I'll take a look at this hand for you.

You have QT UTG (under the gun, first to act), and although this hand looks reasonably strong, it's actually not a profitable hand in real money cash games. I'd sometimes open with it in late position, hoping to steal the blinds, but I don't like calling raises with it or playing it in early position, because it's dominated by better queens and tens, along with all the big pairs.
If I'm the first player to enter a pot, then I'll do so with a standard raise to 3bb (6c). Open-limping (calling the blind) doesn't give you an immediate chance to win the hand. You'll have to have the best hand to drag the pot. Another problem with limping is that a stronger player, or someone with a better hand, will make a raise, meaning you either have to fold because the price is too high, or you call and have to play the pot out of position without the initiative. In short, open-limping is a losing play. With QT in early or middle position, the best play is simply to fold pre-flop.

As played, you limp and get raised by the button, so you see a flop heads up. The flop is kind to you, giving you top pair. The standard play here is to check to the pre-flop aggressor, because he'll usually make a continuation bet whether he hit this flop or not. The problem with leading into the raiser (which is called "making a donkbet") is that it gives him a chance to fold if he missed. If you have the best hand, you don't want him to fold, because that means you get no value. Another problem is that if villain has a big hand, he'll raise, so you lose more money.
Here villain just calls. He could be trapping with a better hand like AQ/KQ, or he could just have a draw with a hand like AK/KT. Because it's unclear if you are ahead or behind, I'd try and keep the pot small and just check the turn like you did. The river pairs the board, but this card is unlikely to have improved villain's hand, because that would mean he would have slowplayed a set on the flop and turn, but most villains would always bet/raise a hand that strong, especially as this board is wet, with many draws.
Betting the river is fine, but I'd usually make it a little smaller to squeak out some value from weak holdings. I don't think villain will call with worse on the river very often, but he might sometimes look you up with ace high or AJ, because your bet-check-bet line can look like a bluff by a draw that missed.

You got a good result here and won the pot, but you won't be so lucky with QT in future. It's really best to fold this hand in early position. In general, you should almost never be calling raises when you're out of position, because there just isn't a positive expectation. Out of position with a marginal hand, you'll sometimes win a small pot, but you'll tend to lose big ones.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:19 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com