Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6maxZ. You make the (river) call?

Old
25NL 6maxZ. You make the (river) call? - Sat Apr 13, 2013, 11:00 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

Against unknowns I open raised red A9o from the btn and the blinds call. I c-bet a black 85A flop one caller, we check a red 7 turn, then on a black 6 river I'm faced with such a big over bet.

Bluffing a flush on the river with the idiot end of a straight is the spoiler.

I can only make >>this call<< because there is no value in that bet size so it must be a bluff?

Am I making mistakes with no reads that this bet could be low suited spades?

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Forrest,

A big river bet like this is usually for value in my experience, trying to make up for lost value earlier in the hand. While he certainly could have a flush, I think that's good for us as the flush didn't exist earlier in the hand.

Given how we played, villain would certainly think aces up or sets are good. Or a 4 or 9. Obviously we beat or tie all of that. Plus our range has plenty of air (like 2 broadways) or pocket pairs, with which he doesn't expect us to call, and that does open up the possibility this is some bluff. A bluff really makes no sense though here as 1) what did he call the flop with that is now just a bluff? and 2) why so much? He can successfully "bluff" us off air and pockets by betting $3, he doesn't need to risk $6.50. So if it's a bluff, it's pretty horrible, but then again bad players do things that make no sense all the time.

I think our hand strength and the situation warrants a call.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com