Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Home Games /

Spring fever

Old
Spring fever - Sun Apr 14, 2013, 06:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
This new series of low cost tournament is awesome. What I was wondering is what is the point to play in the fake money one as their is no prizes?

Thanks

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 07:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi chevalier73!

With the US members being able to play the play money ones.... they're tougher to win than the cash ones.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 08:51 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier73 View Post
This new series of low cost tournament is awesome. What I was wondering is what is the point to play in the fake money one as their is no prizes?

Thanks

You get to play with some great players with no risk to your bankroll.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 14, 2013, 09:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
All of the above... plus they're brilliant fun!

And the bad beats don't hurt so much.

Right now, I'm completely burned out after playing 2 concurent 5-hour tourneys (the Bounty events), and I treated them more or less equally. Indeed, for much of the time, I was more focussed on the play money version, as I was on a tough table for much of the event.
If you joined the Langolier's Live Training session, you would have heard him giving solid advice for the game, because he too was playing it the same way as any other tournament.

It's really not about the virtual chips. It's about the experience, the camaraderie, and improving your game in a friendly environment. It certainly beats grinding 2NL cashgames for 36c an hour.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Spring fever - Sun Apr 14, 2013, 11:10 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post

Right now, I'm completely burned out after playing 2 concurrent 5-hour tourneys (the Bounty events), and I treated them more or less equally. Indeed, for much of the time, I was more focused on the play money version, as I was on a tough table for much of the event.
It was a great Tourney, long but very tough field. Enjoyed HU with Arty where a decisive hand with his 10 10 being counterfeited by the board and my Q won it.
Quote:
If you joined the Langolier's Live Training session, you would have heard him giving solid advice for the game, because he too was playing it the same way as any other tournament.

It's really not about the virtual chips. It's about the experience, the camaraderie, and improving your game in a friendly environment. It certainly beats grinding 2NL cash games for 36c an hour.
The PSO home games are a good way of improving your skill and also finding out your faults ( if you have any). My game has improved greatly and long may the monthly series continue.

Last edited by Tagging; Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
All of the above... plus they're brilliant fun!

And the bad beats don't hurt so much.

Right now, I'm completely burned out after playing 2 concurent 5-hour tourneys (the Bounty events), and I treated them more or less equally. Indeed, for much of the time, I was more focussed on the play money version, as I was on a tough table for much of the event.

It's really not about the virtual chips. It's about the experience, the camaraderie, and improving your game in a friendly environment. It certainly beats grinding 2NL cashgames for 36c an hour.
Impressive play from Arty. The only PSO team member I bumped into chipping up whenever I was at his table. When I was moved to another table it was easier to get chips then back to Arty's table was so difficult to use any chip advantage relative to position of the other players.

Well played guys and to see two PSO team members Arty and Croyd head's up they don't give up their bounties without a fight.

Now 36c an hour at 2NL? I managed 37c prize no bounties for 3 hours in this game. Profit 5c so the real money games aren't about rich rewards. It's all good fun as are the tough play chip games.

Hope to make the main event Sunday.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old
I Knocked out PSO team member ArtySmokePS in Spring Fever Event 10 Play Money - Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:20 PM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2011
This was an brilliant tournement that lasted over 5 hours. I played better than I had done the day before. Had to get lucky a few times throughout the touny (but then again dont we all).
I won the tourny with a HU's up match with ArtySmokePS. no headway was gained by either of us as i think we were both playing a little tight until the following hand changed the tide.

When Arty shoved I thought he might have an suited connectors or small pair, (a mistake to assume on my part ) but i was sure that my Q8c was good enough to call. As the hand played out I was at great risk after Arty showed 10 10. The sweat got bigger as the board played out.

In the end I think this was a keypoint in the Hu's battle. I went on to win it but it wasnt as clear cut and dried after that . Arty made a spirited comeback and i was getting worried. Overall it was a great tourneyment and a brilliant HU battle.
My next blog will show how the poker gods let you get lucky in one hand and take it away from you in the next.

( Thank you to BichonPup who constantly gave me encouragement from the rail)

Last edited by Tagging; Mon Apr 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: errors

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagging View Post
When Arty shoved I thought he might have an suited connectors or small pair, (a mistake to assume on my part ) but i was sure that my Q8c was good enough to call.
I was shoving pretty wide at that stage and there was enough dead money in the pot to make Q8s a decent hand to call with.
It was certainly a great HU battle. Maybe we'll have another good one in the latest Spring Fever games.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 05:15 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar
Spring Fever

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:02 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagging View Post
The sweat got bigger as the board played out.
Another funny thing about that hand is that the turn card initially made it seem like you'd picked up some outs to a straight, but you needed to hit a ten for that. Not only were there only two tens left in the deck, but either one would have given me a boat. The jack on the turn also meant that queens were no longer outs for you, because they would have given me a straight! So your equity did not improve. You could only win on the river if another jack came. Nice 3-outer!
(At least I got you back last night when I got it in bad with A7 against your 77 and the board came A7xxA. The river gods were kind to me this time. )

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:59 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways01 View Post
Spring Fever
Hi slideways01!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you more familiar with many of the options that PSO has to offer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com