Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL flopped boat turn/river decisions

Old
5NL flopped boat turn/river decisions - Mon Apr 15, 2013, 05:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010

I have no stats on the villain so it's hard to tell what his calling range is. Altough his stacksize is telling us that he's probably not a reg.

Flopped big, but the pot is still quite small so we have to try to get more money in the middle. Then the turn card slowed down the action. I could have raised on the turn but I was afraid to be dominated when getting called and most worse hands would probably fold or won't they?

So what do we do on the turn? Do we slow down? His bet on the river looked pretty weak. Do we raise the river or should we just play safe and call hist bet or should we just shove as we're just 50bb deep, he's not a reg and as AK, AQ, KK, AA would normally 3bet PF OOP?

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 11:16 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to cash HA since it's a cash hand JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
(#3)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Iggy,

I love the fact that you bet the flop! Slow playing spots like this tends to cost you a lot more money than it makes you in the long run.

I have to disagree with your turn assessment though. The turn card didn't slow down the action, in fact it sped up with the villain suddenly leading out! I would always raise here and be ready to get the rest of his stack in. His action says "I like the ace". I think he is never going to show us AQ here, if he slow played this flop with AQ he's likely to do so again on the turn when he fills, or at least be going for a check-raise. He could possible show up with AK, AJ, AT, Adxd, or JT and be liking the ace. If he's good enough to fold those to a raise then more power to him... I'm going to give him an opportunity to make a mistake though as a short stacker who is likely not a good player probably can't find a fold with most hands that fall into the "I like that ace" category.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:57 AM
(#4)
You're actually right. The ment to say that I slowed down and went into call mode as villain sped up the action. So you're saying that you would be happy to go all the way against such short stacked players with this kind of board texture as you think he would be calling with almost any good ace or flopped straight?

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#5)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerIggy View Post
You're actually right. The ment to say that I slowed down and went into call mode as villain sped up the action. So you're saying that you would be happy to go all the way against such short stacked players with this kind of board texture as you think he would be calling with almost any good ace or flopped straight?
I don't know if he's willing to stack off with a good ace+ here, but suspect that he's more likely to than not, and am going to give him the opportunity to make that mistake, yes. Given how this hand played it's highly unlikely he's got the hands that beat us, AQ, KK, AA.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 04:18 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
why are you not all in by the river?

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 03:46 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind_V_Gap View Post
why are you not all in by the river?
Because I chickened-out when the A came on the board. During the hand I thought "he could have dominating hand". After reviewing the hand I should just have pushed the turn as only AQ, AA, KK would win the hand and it was verry unlikely he had these hands. Oh and btw I also noticed some other mistake I made in this hand:

Quote:
and as AK, AQ, KK, AA would normally 3bet PF OOP?
Notice that I included AK in this question. I don't know why, but I also thought that AK was dominating my hand..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com