Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Lightbulb
Bankroll Builder - Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hello! I also want to take part in this promotion.

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 08:56 PM
(#3)
Hi giumbixovici,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:15 AM
(#4)
Hand 1. Is it ok to go all in with Qc Js?

Hand 2. How was my preflop betting?

Hand 3. Did I play wright?

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#5)
Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 12:21 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by giumbixovici View Post
Hand 1. Is it ok to go all in with Qc Js?

Hand 2. How was my preflop betting?

Hand 3. Did I play wright?
Hi giumbixovici!

First hand QJo: I would strongly recommend folding in this spot. The risk is just not worth the reward. As a good general rule, only call a preflop all in if you are holding KK or AA. That means folding hands as strong as QQ and AK.

Play money tables can be a bit crazy, but resist the urge to fall to that level. Try to be patient and wait for good starting stands. It will pay off at play money and really help you get into good habits before you hit the real money tables.

Second hand K10o: Wow, that was a lot of prepreflop betting! K10o is not strong enough to raise as you did here. It is best to play it as a speculative hand. Speculative hands are small pocket pairs, suited connectors Axs and two broadways as in this case. With these hands you want to see th flop cheap with multiple opponents. If you flop a strong draw, to a straight in this case, the continue with the hand. If you you miss, just fold.

Regardless of your cards, you should always ask yourself what do you want to accomplish with your raise. Do you want to get people to fold or do you want to build the pot? Either way, min-raising is not good. It just inflates the pot in a spot where it is very unlikely that you have the best hand and against so many opponents it is unlikely that you will win. A standard bet size would be 3bb + 1 bb for each limper. In this case, either call in the first place preflop, or make a solid pot sized raise. Nice pot though

Final hand AJs: This is similar to your first hand. Normally you want a much stronger hand to be calling a 100bb all in. However, with this being play money, a string of callers, your deep stack and the fact you have position on them, calling is probably ok. I would have folded in a real money game though.

You catch part of the flop and it checks to you. Leading with a bet is good. However, I recommend sticking to a standard 50% pot bet here. You do not have top pair and you don't want to bet more than neccessary then get reraised by v6 forcing you to fold. Great result

I suggest working on being a bit more careful an patient when you hit the real money tables. Also, keep an eye on your bet sizing.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 05:37 PM
(#7)
OK. Thanks for the indications. Now that I read the Basics Course, I understand much more, but I'm still struggling with the quiz. I passed the hidden quizzes with high percentage, but the last one is not so easy.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:01 AM
(#8)
Hi giumbixovici,

Take your time. Reread the course and take notes before attempting the quiz again. You'll get there.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 08:24 AM
(#9)
Alright, I just passed the Basics quiz.

Last edited by giumbixovici; Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#10)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 10:08 PM
(#11)
Hand 1. How was my betting? I was affraid of a flush or a straight draw.

Hand 2. With just a pair and top kicker, was looking for a flush, but luckily villain folded.

Hand 3. I lost half a stack here...but later I took back what I lost.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 10:10 PM
(#12)
List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?
1.To put a lot of pressure on opponents.
2.To gain value from very strong hands.
3.To protect against strong draws.

I also passed the Cash Game quiz.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:36 PM
(#13)
Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at them for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once they've been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM..

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 06:23 AM
(#14)
Very bad beat.

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi giumbixovici! I've taken a look at these hands and I think there are a few ways to improve your play.

1. You have AA UTG, so you make a raise. I'd use the standard size of 3bb (6c), which I'd use for any hand I play, because I want to disguise my hand and keep the opponents guessing. You're called by the cutoff, so you'll have to play this hand out of position. The two-tone QJ9 flop is horrible for two black aces, as it's very drawy with straight and flush draws. Nevertheless, you should be making a continuation bet here to get value for your hand. While it's possible the opponent flopped a straight, a set or two pairs, he's more likely to have one pair or a draw. If a villain is on a draw, you shouldn't give him the opportunity to take a free card. You should charge him for drawing, as this is how your hand gets value. I'd like a bet of close to pot (something like 15c here), because you're often getting called. (See JWK24's blog post on good bet sizes on wet flops like this).
When you check, not only can villain check behind and draw out for free. He can also make a bet with a total bluff and possibly make you fold the best hand. Villain actually bets fairly small here and you call, but notice how you've lost the initiative. You're letting villain control the size of the pot, and he's forcing you to make decisions. It's far better to be the bettor, not the caller, especially when you probably have the best hand.
The blank turn is checked through, so it seems villain doesn't have much. When the river is also a blank that doesn't connect with flush/straight draws on the flop, I'd actually lead out, because I'm sure you have the best hand and you want to get some value. You don't want villain to check behind with his marginal hands. Here you check, villain bets small, and you call. You win the pot, but it's a very small profit. There was much more money to be made here. Since villain had top pair, you could have got 3 streets of value by betting the flop, turn and river. Don't be scared about flush/straight draws, because those are what you get your value from. Villain will let you know you're beat by raising, but he can't raise if you don't bet in the first place! So, my advice is to bet when you think you have the best hand, and only slow down if villain raises you.

2. You played this hand great. There's a minraise and a call and you have AQs in the big blind. Since you'll be out of position post-flop, it's a good idea to raise pre-flop in order to take the initiative, because you can c-bet most flops whether you hit them or not and villain will often fold. Here you actually made TPTK on a fairly wet board, so you can bet for value and get called by weaker hands and draws. Villain calls and the turn is a blank. You make another value bet and villain folds. This is how you should have played the AA hand, where I suspect villain would have called with his top pair all the way to showdown, allowing you to win a big pot.

3. You have JJ facing a limp and you make an isolation raise to punish the limper. He calls and you get a good flop. JJ is an overpair on 964, so making a c-bet when villain checks to you is a good idea. Limpers often have speculative hands like small pairs and suited connectors. If villain has something like 55 or 87s, he'll usually call at least one street with a weak pair or a straight draw, so you can get some value. Villain might also have top pair with T9 or 98. The turn is another 9. I don't really like betting here, because if villain had top pair, he now has trips. I'd check in order to keep the pot size under control, as you could be losing. As played, you bet, and villain check-raises. Ask yourself what villain could be check-raising with. He either has top trips, or he has a full house after slowplaying a flopped set. (66 and 44 are common limping hands). You should fold to this raise, because villain isn't doing it with anything you beat. There's a simple rule to remember here. It's called the Baluga Theorem: "If you get raised on the turn and you have one pair, re-evaluate the strength of your hand" with the implication being that you should often fold. Villain is nearly always going to be betting the river after raising the turn, so you'll lose a big chunk of your stack. Make the fold as soon as villain tells you (with his raise) that you are beat.

4. You have A4s UTG. You should be folding here 100% of the time. Not only is A4s a weak hand, but you'll be out of position for the rest of the hand. In this seat, I'd recommend you only play TT+ and AK, because it's really hard to make money with anything weaker in this position. I also don't like your raise size. If you've been using 10c as your standard open size, change it. 3bb (6c) is all you need.
As played, your raise got re-raised (3-bet) by the button. You have to fold now. Villain should know that your range for opening UTG is tight/strong, so his re-raise indicates a monster. He'll often have KK or AA here.
You got a good flop with a pair and the nut flush draw, and decided to bet into the pre-flop aggressor. This is a donkbet, and it's not recommended. This villain has a monster hand and he's not folding. If you don't hit the flush, you're going to lose your stack. You should check and then call if villain gives you a good price to see if you hit the flush or trips. The board bricks out, so you're left with a weak pair and have to fold the river. From this hand, you should have learned how playing out of position is neither fun or profitable. It's particularly bad to play a weak hand out of position in a bloated 3-bet pot. In future, avoid this situation by only playing very strong hands in the first few seats, and don't call raises with them.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 10:34 AM
(#16)
Hi giumbixovici,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:23 PM
(#17)
What can I say... I thought he was bluffing, with that dry flop(I think). It was hard to throw AA. I played, I tried as much as I could to respect the rules from the courses, I watched some videos on the site, I lost 1 dollar, then I got back to 2 dollars, but I had again a very bad beat... I feel helpless. Tell me something about the odds of this hand. I'm pressed by the time and is still hard to calculate the odds so fast.

Last edited by giumbixovici; Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:28 PM..

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:43 PM
(#18)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 09:53 AM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again giumbixovici!

You have pocket aces in the SB and there's a minraise in EP. Villain usually has some sort of speculative hand here like a suited connector or small pair, and he's hoping to see a cheap flop. Raising with your aces is the right play, but you want to make it more than 10c, because otherwise it's still fairly cheap for villain to call. If villain has a hand like JTs or 77, you want to make it a mistake for him to call. A standard size for your re-raise would be 3x the original raise, to make it 12c. Sometimes I'd add a bit extra on top, and make it 15c, partly because you're out of position and partly because you know you have the best hand, so want to get as much value for it as you can.
Villain calls the additional 6c and you see a flop of 863 with a flush draw. The pot is 22c, and you make a c-bet of 10c. I'd prefer a slightly larger bet here. You bet 10c pre-flop, so you should bet a little more on the flop. Something like 15c gets value. Often villain will fold here, because this flop doesn't connect with many hands, but he'll certainly call with a pair or a flush draw.
What actually happens is villain minraises. This is unlikely to be a bluff. If villain was bluffing, he'd usually make a bigger bet, to make it more likely that you'll fold. His raise is a value raise, because he thinks he has the best hand. It's definitely possible for him to have a set, because many 2NL players tend to only minraise or limp pre-flop with small pairs, but it's also possible for him to have an overpair like 99-QQ. Villain might occasionally have a hand like 87, so he has top pair, but usually he'd just call your bet, not raise.
If villain's most likely hand is a pocket pair, so he has a set or an overpair, then you're beating about half his hands and losing to half. I think the best play is to just call on the flop and see what happens on the turn. By re-raising the flop, you're usually only going to get action from the hands that beat you. When villain makes it $1.65, he almost always has a set and he wants to win the maximum. It's hard to fold a big overpair like AA or KK on the flop, but I think that's the right play here. You only have 2 outs to improve, so if you go all in here, you're going to lose your stack very often.

Sure enough, villain has top set and drags the pot. He went set-mining with his pocket pair and got lucky. He'll flop a set about 1 in 8 times when he has a pocket pair. Since villain would miss the flop most of the time, you should try and get your value pre-flop. If you made a bigger 3-bet pre-flop, then you make more money every time he misses on the flop. Learning to fold an overpair is harder to do, but when you find yourself in this situation again (lots of money going in on the flop), be more inclined to make a disciplined fold.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 02:21 PM
(#20)
I'll re read the courses to fix them in my mind. I'm waiting for the next step.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com