Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Mon Apr 15, 2013, 08:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hello!

I've been dabbling in some freeroll tourneys for a little while now, and been signed up to PSO for a short while, but haven't used it too too much yet. I'm interested in being a part of this promotion however if possible!

Thanks!

Old
Mon Apr 15, 2013, 08:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puih123 View Post
Hello!

I've been dabbling in some freeroll tourneys for a little while now, and been signed up to PSO for a short while, but haven't used it too too much yet. I'm interested in being a part of this promotion however if possible!

Thanks!
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Bankroll Builder Hand Analysis #1 - Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:32 PM
(#4)
Hello again!

I watched the video, and I believe that I passed the quiz a while ago. Here's a hand I had a question about, as directed:

I pushed a little pre-flop as I'm fairly comfortable with that hand considering my stack size. You can see most everyone folded. The flop I hit high pair (10s), but the 3 diamonds were a little scary, so I put out the tester bet, after everyone checked to me. Only one villain left, and a fourth diamond comes up. They check again, so I'm pretty sure they don't have it. My question, should I have pushed harder on the turn and represent the flush? They got out anyways, but if they had called and hit a potentially higher pair, that could've burned me, as well as another diamond for a split. Thanks!

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi puih123!

With a limp, then a min-raise in front of me from the hijack, I could either call behind or make a standard raise here (depending on my read of the opps behind me). If I did raise, my standard sizing is to between 3X the previous bet (60) and a pot-sized raise (65).

I see a 3-way flop that ends up being a VERY wet board. When both opps check to me, with top pair, I'm going to make a play at the pot here and I will size my c-bet at 2/3 pot (130 chips). I do not want to bet less than this, as any of the opps that call a smaller bet can be getting the correct odds to draw to a flush or a straight. If they're going to call a bet, I want them to expect to lose chips by calling on a draw, not to get to call a bet where they expect to gain chips from me.

I see a fourth diamond on the turn and the lone opp checks to me. With only one opp that checks, I have two choices, either I can make a 1/2 pot bet to try to represent the flush, or I can check. With the opp checking both the flop and turn, I'll make the 1/2 pot bet.

My plan for the rest of the hand is that I'm done putting chips into it. If the turn bet is called, I'm going to check/fold on the river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
(#6)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 07:02 PM
(#7)
Passed the test!

3 reasons to bet big would be to scare off opponents if we're bluffing, to get full value from a strong hand, and to protect ourselves from potential draws.

I didn't do too too well on the tables, and I learned the lesson to move tables if there are players whose style of play completely defeats mine.

Here's the hand I feel went especially badly

The player to my immediate right would ALWAYS raise pre-flop. I'm normally a tight player, and I thought this hand could make some progress. Clearly it's a good thing for me to have not stayed till the end, but with a hand like that, and a player next to me whom I'll rarely ever have position on, should I have re-raised? It's harder looking back on hands knowing I would've lost! I learned though that's its okay to change tables, that's what I should've done.

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 06:39 AM
(#8)
Great thanks for posting the hand, we'll provide the analysis here soon followed by

your next steps

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Passed the test!

3 reasons to bet big would be to scare off opponents if we're bluffing, to get full value from a strong hand, and to protect ourselves from potential draws.

I didn't do too too well on the tables, and I learned the lesson to move tables if there are players whose style of play completely defeats mine.

Here's the hand I feel went especially badly

The player to my immediate right would ALWAYS raise pre-flop. I'm normally a tight player, and I thought this hand could make some progress. Clearly it's a good thing for me to have not stayed till the end, but with a hand like that, and a player next to me whom I'll rarely ever have position on, should I have re-raised? It's harder looking back on hands knowing I would've lost! I learned though that's its okay to change tables, that's what I should've done.
Hi puih123,

This was an interesting hand let's take a look. Preflop I suggest folding for three reasons. Firstly, AJo doesn't play well against multiple opponents, especially ep raisers who often have an A with a better kicker. If you had AJs, then the added flush possibilities would make calling ok. Secondly, you are going to be out of position post flop which will make post flop play difficult. As played folding on the missed flop is correct.

Against super aggressive opponents you have four options. 1. If you are uncomfortable leave the table as you did. This is always a safe and smart choice. 2. Avoid getting involved in hands against them with marginal holdings. 3. Play your good starting hands as normal. Call the villain's expected raise and when you flop top pair or better let him keep betting into you. This will normally win you a nice pot. Note, if the board is dangerous, then raise your stong hands rather than letting the villain outdraw you. 4. You can raise/reraise your stronger hands against him preflop for value. Since the villain raises "every" hand, he must be raising with a very wide range.

Finally, position is important. In this hand the villain you mention is utg. UTG raises, even from agressive players, normally are a sign of a strong hand. He had KK in this case. It would be better to wait until you are the sb, or even better the btn or co before getting involved with this type of play. In these spots it is less likely that the villain has a premium hand and from he btn or co you will have position on him as well.

I hope this helps!

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#10)
Hello puih123,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Sat Jun 01, 2013, 05:09 PM
(#11)
Hello again!

So I lost quite a bit here unfortunately for me, wondering if I played it wrong, or just bad luck with Villains cards. I wasn't at that table for very long, so didn't have much info on the players.

Please let me know how to proceed, thanks!!

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 07:23 AM
(#12)
Thanks for posting the hand, we'll have the hand analysis done shortly. I'll then advise on you what is next

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 02:27 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hello again!

So I lost quite a bit here unfortunately for me, wondering if I played it wrong, or just bad luck with Villains cards. I wasn't at that table for very long, so didn't have much info on the players.

Please let me know how to proceed, thanks!!
Hi puih123

This is an interesting spot. JJ is a strong starting hand. However, you are facing an utg raise. Usually this means a strong hand. A read on the villan would help narrow his range considerably. Without a read I would put them on a standard tightish range of 88+ and AJs+. Against some opponents we can 3-bet as you did. Against an unknown it is often better to just call preflop. Firstly, you have good positon. Secondly, we want to keep AQ,AK, AJ, 1010,99, and 88 hands in the villain's range. Then we can reevaluate on the flop.

As played when we get 4-bet all in we need to ask what the villain might be raising with? Would he do this with any of the smaller pairs that we are beating? Again, without a read, I would put his 4-bet range on QQ,KK,AA and AKs. Your JJ is behind the pairs and a cointoss against AK. So, we need to fold. The only hands you can profitably call preflop all ins with are KK and AA.

I hope this helps

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 08:39 AM
(#14)
Hi puih123,

Do you have enough bankroll left to continue playing? If so, if you can reach 10 VPPs earned since the 2nd bonus you will be awarded your next $2 bonus.

flophitter

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#15)
I do not

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 02:44 PM
(#16)
That's not a problem, your next bonus will be in your account soon.

To earn your fourth and final Bankroll Builder bonus, keep applying at the $0.01/$0.02 cash tables the principles you learned until you have earned a further 10 VPPs. Should you lose your bankroll, please post the losing hand(s) and we'll give you our analysis, followed by the bonus.

I wish you well, and if you have any questions you we are here for you!

flophitter

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 10:37 AM
(#17)
I've earned 10 VPPs and would like the next bonus please

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 01:25 PM
(#18)
Hi puih123,

Good to hear you've earning those VPPs, but on our system we see less than 4 earned since the third bonus. So if you have sufficient bankroll, keep on at the same type of tables until you have reached that magical 10 VPP count.

If you have any questions I'm here for you.

flophitter

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 09:54 PM
(#19)
Oops, didn't know it was since the last bonus! I'll keep working away at it, thanks

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
(#20)
Aaaaand I'm back, and lost it all again. I was doing well for a while there too!

I was trying to trap here with jacks, as this villain I was targeting was pretty loose, hitting some longshots with pre-flop all-ins as reactions to the slightest raise. I should have waited for a better hand, right? Thanks!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com