Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Red vs Blue - a team co-op challenge

Old
Red vs Blue - a team co-op challenge - Tue Apr 16, 2013, 03:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
In the blue corner, we have B!indsniper and EvokeNZ, representing New Zealand.

In the red corner, we have CanuckMonkey and 85FastLane, representing Canada.

Four people from opposite sides of the world, uniting their funds and skills, in hopes of making a profit!

Welcome to the Red vs Blue challenge.

Rules of the Game:

Cooperation:

We will all start the games with our individual bankrolls, there will be no initial money transfers. Once everyone completes Level 1, everyone will transfer their total to me, and I will re-allocate the funds to account for an even split of winnings.

So, for example, if one person ends with $6, one with $17, one with $35, and one with $2, then the new total is $60 and everyone should have $15 each. So everyone transfers to me their final number (ie, 6, 17, 25, 2), I'd get $60 and then distribute $15 to each person.

Every contestant must post the results of each game they play. For example, "Played Game 1, entry 25 c, finished 8th, prize $0".

Level 1:

Bankroll from each member: $5
Team bankroll: $20

Play:
10 x 45 man 25c NLHE Regular
10 x 90 man 25c NLHE Regular
Play at any time until all done. No time limits.

Goal: Profit!
Stretch Goal: 25% ROI (our final bankroll would need to be 25 dollars)
Stop loss: bust!
Level up goal: 40 dollars

Level 2:

Bankroll from each member: $10
Team bankroll: $40
10 x 45 man $1 NLHE Regular

Individual Stop loss: if you are down to $5, stop and wait until others have caught up in games played or team bankroll is above $40
Team stop loss: Total bankroll $20, once all team are at the stop loss, go back to Level 1 as a team.

Challenge:

This part is just for fun and has no bearing on the winnings. New Zealand and Canada are obviously worlds apart, but also we have a lot in common.

Did you know 'eh' at the end of the sentence is used by people in both countries? We may not say 'Aboot' in New Zealand, but we do have 'Nek Minit' and 'Ghost Chips'.

We will post results and interesting hands in this thread for other people to offer advice and to keep each other on track.
Railers are welcome!

I will update a progress graph as we go.

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Fri May 24, 2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 05:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Good Luck mate

PH

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:14 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Best of luck chaps! Have fun ^_^

Old
Go go go - Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:36 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
Lots of luck my friends. I wish you all do great and the community bankroll hits the sky!!!!

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
This looks like a great way to spread the variance around. Best of luck guys and gals!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:00 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Evoke's youtube links inspired me to add a little more to this Red vs Blue, Canada vs NZ collaboration. I will begin each update with something I like about NZ and an interesting fact about Canada. I'm not really much of a nationalist, but this should be fun

Something I like about NZ: Flight of the Conchords. If you don't know who they are you need to visit this link. Jemaine is my hero.
Something interesting about Canada: The country's name comes from the Saint-Lawrence Iroquoian word "kanata" which means something like village. That other explanation is a bunch of settlers just picked some random letters out of a hat. C, eh? N, eh? D, eh?

I was excited to start this challenge so I played one game while I studied. But I really need to take a break for a few days now while I write exams and get back into it on the weekend.

Tournament #720055915
25c 45-player SnG
Finished 12th
Prize $0

Highlight of this game was my extremely hesitant hero call. I couldn't decide whether a single pair was good enough, I figured it was 50/50 whether I was already ahead, and I had 9 outs to improve so I called.

I doubled later on when I was short stacked and another short stack bet 3BB pre-flop and I shoved back with QQ. He showed AKo but the ladies held out.

Then I lost half my chips calling a short stack. I had him beat with my AKo over his A7o, but he found a 7.

I lost the rest all-in pre-flop in SB with KJo. He called with KTo and the board delivered both a K and a T.

So just bad luck. I'm happy with how I played it. The only time I lost chips I was ahead but got a bad board.

Good luck to the rest of you.
Go Red Team

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
What a fantastic idea - go Team Purple!! (blue + red )

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:01 AM
(#8)
25c 90-player SnG
Finished 48th
Prize $0

I was building up a nice stack with stealing blinds here and there, but then lost most of it to this hand.

At first I thought I played it wrong, but having looked at it again, the guy was just being overly aggressive and got lucky. Either way it tilted me a bit and I stayed in with this hand which ended up my last. Don't know why the villain didn't bet earlier, I guess he trapped me good.

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 01:26 AM..

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:29 AM
(#9)
25c 45-player SnG
Finished 11th
Prize $0

Was 2nd in most of the game, lost a big chunk to this hand, then got blinded out. Sad panda.

(oh and as an added bonus feature, I was short stacked in OSL, went all in on 22 from the button; got called by UTG limper with KK who then flopped KKx)

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 01:26 AM..

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:11 AM
(#10)
Played 1 45 man, finished 14th, $0
Played 1 90 man, finished 6th, $1.02 prize; updated chart in the first post.

Had some amazing run of cards:

Was toying a bit at the bubble, even won a hand with 72. Though, to be honest, my raise was by accident as I didn't notice the UTG limping.

On the final table I was really sleepy and the last six people was taking forever. So I busted out on pocket jacks to someone that paired their ace (and then their 8 too). It's the first 90 man I've cashed in, so not too terrible.

As for interesting bits of information, yesterday New Zealand became the 13th country in the world to allow gay couples to marry.

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 01:27 AM..

Old
Question
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:44 AM
(#11)
I'm really psyched to get started, even though I have to wait for the weekend. I have a thought to bounce of the rest of the team for now, though (and would be interested in feedback from any others who have something to add):

Usually when I play SnGs I play three at a time. I've got Table Ninja's Sit-n-Go Sensei configured to make this easy to do. Three seems to be a sweet spot for me--just enough to keep me from getting bored and distracted, but not so much that it overwhelms me when I have tough decisions to make on more than one table at a time. (I'm getting faster at the decisions anyway, but for now three is a good maximum.)

For this team challenge, though, I'm wondering if I should drop down to two tables at a time, so I can put a little more focus and effort into watching (and making notes on) my opponents on each table, and hopefully make some better overall decisions in the tighter spots.

On the other hand, playing two at a time instead of three would slow me down and take me longer to get through my Level 1 games.

So what do you think?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 12:25 PM
(#12)
Nice cash Evoke, good job! Nice 27o steal

CanuckMonkey, I don't know about the others but I don't think we're in a hurry to get through our games. I would say just play whatever you are most comfortable with. I know I play better with just one table up and take advantage of some well developed reads. But with my own bankroll I usually play 4 at a time: 3 9-players and 1 90-player. It gets a little crazy when you're down to only 3 players on 3 tables at once. I think for this challenge I'll probably play a 90 and a 45 at the same time and just play the 2 at once so I can get better results. Saturday evening after my last exam I'm jumping straight into this

Good luck team!

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85FastLane View Post
I think for this challenge I'll probably play a 90 and a 45 at the same time and just play the 2 at once so I can get better results.
Hmm, I think I may try this as well.

I just now reviewed all the hands that have been posted so far, and only have one to comment on--EvokeNZ's exit hand with 44. No blame or guilt for how you played it; you were upfront that you were on tilt at the time (and understandably so!) and I think I might have played it the way you did even without being tilted.

However, this is something I have been trying to work on myself--recognizing when I should check behind in position on the river. This is a great example, since the villain limped in from the small blind and has a much larger stack, so could have just about anything that beats us (the case trey, a king, a ten, or a bigger pocket pair). In hindsight, his play makes some sense to me--he flopped top pair, but with a trash kicker, and was probably worried about being outkicked. He probably should have led out on the river since the kickers would no longer play and the only hands that beat him are AA, KK, TT, and 3X, (and I wouldn't put you on any of those hands based on play up to that point) but otherwise his line makes sense.

The tempation to shove is strong, since we wouldn't have much of a stack left after checking behind and losing, but our remaining stack at this point probably isn't big enough to make the big stack villain fold a better hand when we shove, and any worse hand will almost certainly fold to our shove anyway, so we have nothing to gain by shoving.

What do you all think? Should there be any differences in pre-flop, flop, or turn play? (I say no to all three, although a bet on the flop for information might have made sense.)

Thanks guys for sharing these hands so far, I think this is great for getting the brain working! I just hope I can post some interesting hands when my turn comes. Most of my mistakes are so blatantly terrible that there isn't anything to learn from reviewing them after the fact.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 03:05 PM
(#14)
I usually play four at a time. These ones I played two and OSL and watching YouTube and playing bubble witch on my phone. Terrible. Was just trying to stay awake. Four tables of the same thing is my sweet spot now too. More than five and the beeping drives me mad.

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:38 AM
(#15)
Played three games tonight.

45 man, early exit at 39th, no prize.

Two baby sets going heads up.

45 man, 6, 62 c prize

A couple of fun hands:

Four of a kind, Jacks.

Board straight, three way split.

My exit hand left me short stacked at the flop, so I kind of called because there was no going back.

90 man, 12th, 46 c

Saw Pinoy Hitman at my table here but then I got moved.

At the bubble the three short stacks (including me) were all at the same table. We were at the bubble for aaages, just passing the blinds.

I thought this hand would see me through to the final table.

This hand was quite disappointing.

The blinds were massive for what I had left, and the weak pair didn't hold up, being my exit hand.

I have seven 90 man and six 45 man games left.

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 01:32 AM..

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 12:18 PM
(#16)
I see a 1st finish in your near future Evoke Good job.

I don't have much to say about the hands you posted except for your AhQh. With only 6BB you should probably just get it all-in pre-flop. The only time I'd just raise with that few blinds is with AA, KK, QQ with the intention of calling the re-raise I would expect to get. Otherwise just get it all in so that you can exploit some fold equity. In this particular case it wouldn't have made any difference as I'm sure he would have called with his pocket pair anyway. But most times you would be up against worse hands that would fold an all-in but might call and hit with your raise. That's my thoughts anyway.

Keep it up! I'll have some catching up to do on Saturday

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#17)
Some quick thoughts on the most recent batch of hands from EvokeNZ (and thank you for posting so many, I think this is great for all of us--I just hope you don't feel picked on with so much constructive feedback aimed your way!)

The hand with the flopped set of 2s I would recommend betting bigger on the flop to protect against flush draws--with four opponents still in, the second and subsequent callers will be getting good odds to call and see the turn with flush draws, so I would make a pot-sized bet here. Of course, it wouldn't have mattered in the end, but nothing you could do about that--I'd bust out here as well.

In a few other hands here, I would be following the "shove or fold pre-flop with less than 10 bb left" rule. It has served me well, and has been reinforced from advice on the NLHE Hand Analysis forum. That last exit hand is a good example--the guy with AJo might have called anyway if you had shoved, but he would have had to think harder about it. The key is to ask yourself if you would consider folding if somebody 3-bet behind you, and here you did call his raise which put you all-in. Whenever that is the case you want to shove all in to start, to put more pressure on anyone still to act.

As a rule for myself, I will always shove pre-flop under two conditions: a) I have less than 10 big blinds left, or b) my standard raise would come to more than a third of my remaining stack. (The second situation comes up sometimes when I have more than 10 big blinds but there have been limpers ahead of me.)

Please take my advice with a grain of salt, though--we have different playing styles and I wouldn't want you to start playing in a way that wouldn't work for you. (I've noticed we use different bet sizing amounts, for example, but I'm not going to recommend that you change that!) Maybe try it out for a few tourneys and see how it feels and works.

I'm really eager to get started now so I can get some advice from you guys--I'll try to post lots of good hands, and I hope you'll feel free to pick them apart! (I should be starting tomorrow morning, probably around 1 AM Sunday in NZ.)

Go team!

P.S. I finally got around to watching the videos, and I love your NZ video. Great message, and hilariously presented. (My favorite bit: "I'd have to live with his family... Puzzle time!!!" The dad snapping and pointing his finger really adds to it!) Also, I am officially in love with Flight of the Conchords. I am also wishing I could think of something cool to share with you all...

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 07:24 PM
(#18)
by the way, that ghost chips video is an actual public TV ad funded by a government agency

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 09:22 PM
(#19)
Since: Dec 2011
Great idea! Sounds like fun. It makes me think of the 2 months 2 million reality tv series.

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 06:49 AM
(#20)
Tonight I played one 45 man and one 90 man game.

Came 12th in the 45, no prize.

Exit hand.

3rd in 90 man, $2.89
four handed lasted foreeeeever, so in the end I probably got impatient, and it was dinner time.

Some hands below. Some big losses, some big wins. (Edit: tried to post all these as one group, but the computer says no)

Folding queens.

Lucky SB steal.

Small pair pays off against a very loose player that got lucky.

Same loose player must be furious that the same pair didn't work for him.

Squeeze play gone wrong? Aces pay off!

Again folding queens.

Getting aggressive with Jacks, the villain mucked ATo.

Not aggressive enough with the top pair, sucked out by the river.

Folding two pair.

Weak play with a King.

Exit hand.

Last edited by EvokeNZ; Sun Apr 21, 2013 at 01:45 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com