Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi I would just like to declare my interest in this promotion.

I have already completed the Poker Basics course and the Cash Games course.

Here is a hand I just played on 1/2 FR Play Money.

My question is should I have called and all-in'ed myself on the turn or should I have been more wary about the villain having a 7? While this would have been irrelevant this time as I got a Full House on the river, I am still unsure as to whether or not this was the correct call.

Last edited by GrepVyne; Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:49 PM
(#2)
Although now that I think about it, the odds of the villain having a 7 are quite slim considering he checked the flop, this to me would indicate he was waiting to draw his hand and was not slow playing or trying to trap me.

Old
Tue Apr 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 05:51 AM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrepVyne View Post
Hi I would just like to declare my interest in this promotion.
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand Evaluation - Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:51 PM
(#5)
Here is a hand I played on 1/2 FR Play Money.

My question is should I have called and all-in'ed myself on the turn or should I have been more wary about the villain having a 7? While this would have been irrelevant this time as I got a Full House on the river, I am still unsure as to whether or not this was the correct call.

I have also passed the Poker Basics Course and the Cash Games course.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 03:05 PM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#7)
Thank you very much.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 04:11 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi GrepVyne!

A9s is a decent hand to see a flop in position on the button (the best seat) because you're getting a bargain price in a multiway pot. I wouldn't go too crazy if you just flop one pair, because you could lose to better aces or random two pair hands, set and straights, but if you flop a draw to the nut flush, you could win a big pot.
Here the flop is 773, so you have two overcards but no draw. If someone bets, I'd get out of the way here, but it actually gets checked around. On the turn, you hit an ace, and one villain makes a big overbet. This could be some sort of bluff, a delayed valuebet with trips, or just an ace. This is quite a tricky spot. On a real money game, I'd be inclined to fold here, because you're only beating A8 or worse, and the occasional weird bluff. Overbets usually inicate very strong hands. With playmoney though, many players overvalue their own hand or make crazy plays, so I think calling is OK. Often there will be someone else with an ace and you'll end up chopping the pot because your kicker isn't very strong.
There's certainly no harm in folding. Indeed, when you come to play for real money, it's crucial to make good folds when there's a good chance you're behind. Only go all in when you're confident you have the best hand.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:26 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 10:08 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I'd be inclined to fold here, because you're only beating A8 or worse, and the occasional weird bluff.
Do you think it more likely that a player would bluff the flop because of the paired board and trying to represent three of a kind or do you think they would check the flop and bluff the turn instead?

Thank you for the evaluation of my hand, I will definitely take this into consideration when I being playing on the .01/.02 FR Tables

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 10:09 AM
(#11)
Thank you royalraise85, I should hopefully have the hand uploaded to here by some time on Saturday.

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

I found this hand quite interesting because I was unsure of what hand to put my opponent on.
Also, its nice to flop a set and river a full house. Any improvements that could have been made to my play in this situation?

The reasons for betting are:
1. To put pressure on opponents
2. To protect against strong draws
3. To gain value from very strong hands

I have also completed the Cash Game quiz.

Hope to hear from you soon,
GrepVyne

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:13 PM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#14)
Hi again GrepVyne!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrepVyne View Post
Do you think it more likely that a player would bluff the flop because of the paired board and trying to represent three of a kind or do you think they would check the flop and bluff the turn instead?
Paired flops are very good boards to bet as a bluff, because it's hard to connect with a board that only has cards of two ranks. My c-bet success rate tends to be high on flops like 997 or 772, partly because villain is unlikely to have hit it, and partly because raising pre-flop and betting the flop is the line I'd take if I have an overpair. A hand like KQ can't make a profitable call when it has no pair and no draw. It's usually better to bluff the flop rather than the turn, because a villain might improve his hand on the turn, so your bluff wouldn't work. Be aware, however, that if someone really had trips, then it would be standard for them to check on the flop if they were out of position, because they want someone else to bet the flop, so that they can check-raise. If the flop is checked around, then a player with trips will definitely bet the turn, because no one else is gonna build the pot for him.

Now let's look at your latest hand. You have pocket 4s on the button, facing a limp and a minraise. This is a great spot to call and go set-mining, because it only costs you 4c, and you'll be in position post-flop, allowing you to control the size of the pot, and perhaps win a big one if you spike your set.
The blinds fold and the limper calls, so you see a flop 3-ways with 15c in the pot. The pre-flop raiser makes a standard c-bet, and I love that you immediately raised. Many players would slowplay their monster hand here, but that misses value and can cause you to have tough decisions on later streets. When you flop a set with a small pair, your hand is unlikely to get any stronger, but it could get beat by straights and flushes. This J43 flop only offers one good straight draw (65 is open-ended), but there is a flush draw. Villain can also be betting with a hand like AJ or KJ, so raising for value is ideal. Villain bet 6c and you made it 18c. This is a good size (3x) because it's not so much that the villain will fold, but it's big enough that you get some decent value for your monster hand.
Strangely, the original limper cold-calls your raise, and the c-bettor gets out of the way. He was probably c-betting with "air" hands like AQ, 88 etc.
The turn comes the Ks. Villain 8 checks to you, because you raised on the previous street. Here you decide to check behind. This is a mistake. While it's possible that this king scares villain (if he has a hand like QJ), you should still be betting, because most of the hands that called on the flop are also calling the turn. Most jacks, and all flush draws are staying in the pot. If villain has a hand like QTcc, then now he has an open-ended straight draw to go with his flush draw. I'm defiinitely betting for value here, and probably making it a fairly big bet of at least 3/4 pot, to get maximum value from top pair, two pairs and all the draws. Checking behind could let villain hit a flush or straight absolutely free. In the post above, you gave 3 reasons for making a big bet. All three reasons apply here. Protect your hand and get value from all the worse hands that can call!
The river comes a king, so you've made a full house. Here villain makes a small bet. Most of the time he's very weak here. If he had a king (or even KJ), he'd be going for more value. His most likely hand is either a pair of jacks, or he's bluffing with a missed flush draw.
Raising for value is a good idea. Bluffs won't call, but your 3x size might get looked up by a jack and certainly a king.

Overall this hand was fine, but you definitely missed value. Remember that if villain has a flush draw, he's not going to pay you off on the river if he misses the flush. You therefore have to get as much value as possible while he's still drawing. You do this by raising the flop and betting big on the turn.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 06:14 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 10:02 AM
(#16)
I am sad to say I have lost the majority of my bankroll in the last hand I played, only 70c left.

Here is the hand in question.

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 04:37 PM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 05:52 PM
(#18)
Hi again GrepVyne!

Here you have JJ in the big blind facing two limps, so you can expect them to have weak hands. I like your raise to 8c to get value when you're almost certainly ahead and to seize the initiative.
Both limpers call and you see a flop of Q87 with a flush draw. It's not a great flop for you, but I'd generally make a c-bet if I had the chance, because you can definitely get called by worse, or often just take the pot down. Here, though, the SB mindonks. This tiny bet usually indicates a weak one pair hand or draw. Based on that information, I don't think he has a queen, so you can raise for value. I'd make it at least half pot though, because if villain is on a flush draw, you want him to make an incorrect call. (See JWK's blog on pricing out opponents.)
Your raise to 8c gets you heads up which is good, and you've narrowed villain's range. He most likely has a flush/straight draw or a pair of 8s or 7s, or maybe a pocket pair like 99 or 66. You're beating all those hands...
...until the turn comes. This 8 on the turn completes a flush, but it also means if villain minbet an 8 on the flop, he now has trips. Villain bets 6c this time, which to me indicates he has a small flush or trip 8s and is scared of the flush. His range is now beating you. If he'd made a bigger bet, then I'd fold here, as JJ has little chance of winning at showdown, but notice that you have the , so you picked up a flush draw. If villain has a small flush, then your jack could be good, but I'd only feel good if the river was the ace or king of clubs, as you'd have the 2nd nut flush. The problem with the flush draw is that if villain already has a flush, you only have 7 outs to make one. You have two more outs though. Hitting a jack will give you the big full house, which will surely be the best hand.
Raising the turn doesn't make much sense, because we've already established that villain is probably ahead. All you're doing is building a pot with the worst hand, and charging yourself a higher price to try and improve. It would be better to just call the 6c, as you have a bargain price to call.
The river comes an 8, so you made a full house, and here villain makes a big overbet. I can't find any bluffs in his range. He probably doesn't even bet a flush here, because it's so easy to have a full house on this board, as he should put you on a Q since you raised the flop. He'll have a full house with any queen (which beats your actual hand) or any seven (which doesn't), but based on the earlier action, I think he just made quads and is looking to extract maximum value for his super-stong hand. It's actually a great play to bet big with quads on this board, because he expects you'll call with any pocket pair, any queen and any 7.
There's a saying in poker that "No one folds a full house", which is why you can make overbets when you have quads using 3 cards from the board and expect to get called, but this is a spot where some players could find a fold. I'm certainly not raising with JJ here, because it's unlikely he calls with worse. I'd sometimes just call, but feel pretty sick about it, as I think he shows you a random 8 very often.

It's sometimes hard to fold a big pair like jacks or queens, but when the board turns ugly for your hand and a villain indicates he has a better one, you have to learn to let it go. One pair (especially if it's not an overpair) is simply not going to be the best hand at showdown very often when there's a flush out there and villain doesn't seem to be scared about it.
Hopefully you'll get better at putting your opponent on a hand-range and will become accustomed to making good folds when you get the message that you're beat.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 06:06 PM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you will receive your 3rd bonus later today!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your final Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com