Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

3.50 NL holdem s

Old
3.50 NL holdem s - Wed Apr 17, 2013, 12:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...732_88FBF8C45A

UTG limped i raise from the small blind 3 times the bb big blind re raises me almost like a min raise i call limper folds it was my first hand with this guy my read on him was medium pocket pairs or QQ+ did i play it right??

Last edited by casablancaa1; Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: wrong link

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 04:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi casablancaa1

I think raising here is ok your bet sizing is perfect. I would consider shoving all in preflop as we only have 15 big blinds but as this is a sng I think it's ok to put in a raise (we tend to be shorter stacked in SNG's than we do in MTT's)

When player five 3bets us we should never be calling, instead we should be raising all in, or folding.

Player five's reraise looks exceptionally strong because not only is he 3betting us, he is 3 betting knowing that we must have a strong hand to raise from out of position.

I am never going to raise fold JJ with a 15 big blind stack. I think we can find a fold if we have strong reads that player five is very tight, but apart from that I'm not going anywhere.

If he is loose/crazy guy then I would be fist pumping my chips into the middle of the pot.

Hope this help. Cheers, Chris.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 04:42 PM
(#3)
as the table developed tha perticular player had gone to showdown with pocket pairs and strong aces but at that hand i put him on middle pairs and stronger pair than mine and the flop came like this and i was affected by my preflop read on him maybe i was ahead but would you reccomend post flop to c bet to see where i am??

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
Hi casablancaa1

I think raising here is ok your bet sizing is perfect. I would consider shoving all in preflop as we only have 15 big blinds but as this is a sng I think it's ok to put in a raise (we tend to be shorter stacked in SNG's than we do in MTT's)

When player five 3bets us we should never be calling, instead we should be raising all in, or folding.

Player five's reraise looks exceptionally strong because not only is he 3betting us, he is 3 betting knowing that we must have a strong hand to raise from out of position.

I am never going to raise fold JJ with a 15 big blind stack. I think we can find a fold if we have strong reads that player five is very tight, but apart from that I'm not going anywhere.

If he is loose/crazy guy then I would be fist pumping my chips into the middle of the pot.

Hope this help. Cheers, Chris.

+1

Casablanca1,I think Chris is 100% on point here...absent a specific and well founded read of Player 5 being very tight (this is where effective note taking becomes crucial,you'll see a lot of the same players over and over again in SNG's...) we're pretty much going to be happy to go with the Jacks here. If the villain is a loose player then we're going to be elated to do so.

Calling behind is not good here. That's a leak on a 15BB stack. Calling behind and folding to three under cards is a straight up spew. You're going to be calling off and folding out a sizeable portion of an already shortish stack with the best hand far too often here.

As to your second submission on the c-bet...dude there's 1200 in the pot,you have 1010 in front of you and you want to c-bet to see where you are?

No,no,no. Yeah,you can c-bet here...shove your remaining stack in. But to put even MORE chips in on this flop and possibly fold to any resistance? NO,that's a total spew.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#5)
i didnt push all in because i play alot games of that sit and go and if he had something like middle pairs usually players shove all in the other logical hand that he could have is QQ+

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 08:03 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by casablancaa1 View Post
i didnt push all in because i play alot games of that sit and go and if he had something like middle pairs usually players shove all in the other logical hand that he could have is QQ+

OK,that may be viable,maybe not. But you're giving zero consideration to effective stack sizes,bet sizing and stack to pot ratios here. You asked about maybe c-betting. Now step away from your hand and what you think the villain may be holding and just look at the stacks and pot.

There are 1200 chips in the middle,you have 1010 chips in front of you,the villain has 710 chips in front of them.

What can you possibly bet that's less than a shove here that would make sense? A min-raise? What's that going to tell you? You would be putting 100 into a 1200 pot,villain could call with almost anything. To effectively c-bet you have to make enough of a bet that it's a commitment by any opponents to call. At an absolute minimum that would entail a bet of 1/4 to 1/3 the pot here (I'm NOT advocating this bet,just saying that's the least you can bet that's making the villain make any type of commitment to go along).

Now think about that size bet in this spot with these stacks...1/4 the pot would be 300 chips,you have 1010 in front of you and the villain has 710 in front of them. A bet this size absolutely pot commits the 2 of you to seeing this hand through (you're really already both there anyway,truth be told...). It makes zero sense to leave any chips behind here and possibly allow the villain to call on a draw of some type,or even a lower pair. This is a spot where any bet post-flop needs to be all-in.

Dave (TheLangolier) has an excellent video in the library on "commitment points". You may want to look at that,think you'll find it helpful.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 11:03 PM
(#7)
i already looked at it that was the reason of my foldind i reached the commitment threshold and i decided( wrong or right) to fold thanks for the advice though it was really helpful to clear things in my head a little

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com