Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1.10 mtt

Old
1.10 mtt - Wed Apr 17, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi guys, been away from PSO and poker in general for a few months but just started playing again and wanted some opinions on this spot.

Already in the money on this MTT and around about 10% of the field left so pretty deep.

Initial limper has been a big fish playing around 85/8 over at least 40 hands.

Second limper has been a lot tighter but had just been blinding down to squeeze into the money and had managed to quad up his stack over the last few hands (cant remember his stats).

From my opinion pre-flop i opted to shove, with just under 20 percent of the size of my stack in the pot already and just under 20 bb i thought this was the best way to proceed, i expect to be ahead of the range of both limpers and was confident the first limper would fold and i would be heads up all in with the short stack or better still taking the pot variance free.

Was this the optimal way to play the hand? Or should have raised to say 4bb pre flop to iso one of the limpers and then played the flop in position? What other strategies would you suggest? I just felt with one of the limpers so short this took away that option and made this the best strategy for this hand at that moment, what about if say only the first limper had remained?

A side question to this would be regarding my MTT strategy in general. I seem to bust a lot like this with a 10 to 20 bb stack with the last 10% or less of the field remaining and it becomes frustrating getting that deep but not taking advantage and making that final table. Is this just variance and with a little bit of luck i will bust that duck soon with patience, or perhaps i need to open my game up a little to build a bigger stack to take me to that final table as 3 MTT's this week have ended so close but no cigar.

Sorry for the long ramblings, and thanks for the analysis and advice, you guys do a great job here.

Old
Wed Apr 17, 2013, 06:21 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
first off i think you played the hand well i like the shove here and the shove worked we got him to call with a worse bad luck that he hit there.

on the second question it probably just varience i dont know how tight your playing but tight is right in mtt poker so i dont think thats a problem just remember for instance it took me 3 year to final table an mtt its really hard to get there. hopes this helps and just bee patient it will come once

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey darkmajik365 it's good to see you back

I loooooooove your shove and I wouldn't of played it any other way. If everyone folds we pick up a smooth amount of 3475 chips (almost 25% of our stack!) and if we get called by any of the limpers we are likely to have them crushed.

Also with a 20 big blind stack we don't have a sufficient amount of chips to allow us to play the hand optimally post flop.

Unlucky outcome! Good to see you back, I hope you crush the games.

Chris

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmajik365 View Post
A side question to this would be regarding my MTT strategy in general. I seem to bust a lot like this with a 10 to 20 bb stack with the last 10% or less of the field remaining and it becomes frustrating getting that deep but not taking advantage and making that final table. Is this just variance and with a little bit of luck i will bust that duck soon with patience, or perhaps i need to open my game up a little to build a bigger stack to take me to that final table as 3 MTT's this week have ended so close but no cigar.

Sorry for the long ramblings, and thanks for the analysis and advice, you guys do a great job here.
Good question. I would assume that it's variance. It does happen to everybody from time to time and it can be very disheartening to you and your game when it happens. However, keep at it. One day you will take down a big one and it will make up for alllllll of them times you busted out close to the final table.

To really assess whether or not you have leaks in your end game then we would need to see a full hand history but it seems to me that you play fine.

Perhaps add a few sng's into your daily grind to reduce the overall variance.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
(#5)
Thanks for the analysis and advice guys, just got to keep on grinding then

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com