Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Tricky Hands For a Beginner

Old
Tricky Hands For a Beginner - Thu Apr 18, 2013, 04:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Folks,
I've just started learning Poker a week ago and am still unsure how to bet in the early stages of a tournament if I hold say K10 or QJ especially if suited. If it is the early rounds of a tournament and I'm in the dealer seat with 2 guys having already bet 3x the big blind, what is the best strategy for me...fold, call or re-raise? Thx.
Andy

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 05:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
Early stages I am probably folding both the hands you mentioned.

They are speculative hands where unless you hammer the flop you are never sure where you are in the hand. And in early stages, unless someone spazzes out, then you likely won't get paid off anyway. The blinds are not worth stealing at this stage.

The fact that there has already been a 3x and a call makes this a definite muck for me. Especially if the first raise is UTG/UTG+1 as they are representing a strong hand.

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 07:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
The best play is to fold. In the early stages of a tourney, you should be playing very tight and conserving your stack. Hands like KT and QJ could get you into big trouble when you're out-kicked.

QJ and KT play reasonably well in position, but work best when you use them for an open raise, hoping to steal the blinds. They don't play well when calling a raise, because they are dominated by hands like AK, AQ and KQ, along with the big pairs.
Indeed, I'd often fold hands as strong as AQ and AJ if there was a raise in early position, or the raiser was tight. I'd rather call with a hand like 44 (and go set-mining) or 87s, to see if I can hit a big draw.

You can call with suited Broadways, but I'd only do so if you know the villain is weak and will give you a good price to chase a strong draw. Don't go crazy if all you hit is one pair.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Andy,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

Please join us at the PSO Spring Series of Poker, running until the 21st of April. This series is exclusively for PSO members and is held in the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!
Good luck at the tables!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Appreciate the tips - Thu Apr 18, 2013, 06:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2013
Thx guys for the advice. makes sense to me.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com