Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

nl5 sb vs bb KJ TP

Old
nl5 sb vs bb KJ TP - Fri Apr 19, 2013, 05:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...166_D03D215F04

hello guys how would you play this hand against unknown?
I hate to be bluffed out but on those spots I didnt know where I standed so I folded. Is that a call instead?

thanks

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 01:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
It's close, but I think flatting pre is OK, as you're in position. Villain can be opening pretty wide in BvB battles. 3-betting probably isn't so great, because you're unlikely to get action from worse.

As played, calling the flop is standard. You usually have the best hand here. It's a pretty big bet on the turn, but I think villain just has a king here. You're obviously losing to AK and KQ, so there aren't a whole lot of worse kings out there, but villain might even be weaker, with a hand like QQ or TT and he's trying to barrel you off top pair.
Without reads, I think you have to call the turn, but note that if you call there it's because you think you're ahead (or at least flipping). You therefore should still be ahead on all non-Broadway rivers (that could give villain two pairs).
The 7h on the river doesn't really change anything, so I'm calling. Since he bet 1.05 into 1.73, you need to win this hand 1.05/(1.73+1.05+1.05) = 27% of the time to break even. If villain takes this line with KK+,K9s+,KTo+, then you've got over 35% equity. There are also a couple of blufs in his range. While it's possible he made a set or weird two pair at some point, I think it's +EV to call.

Folding the river isn't terrible, as I often think it's better to make a fold when you're really not sure where you're at, but I'm gonna look him up, as finding out what he has will also enable you to get a read. (If he fired 3 barrels with air, then it will be very profitable to play more pots in position with this guy.)

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com