Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

bankroll builder

Old
bankroll builder - Fri Apr 19, 2013, 08:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi
I am new to PSO and would like to participate in the Bankroll Builder promotion

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiamin View Post
Hi
I am new to PSO and would like to participate in the Bankroll Builder promotion
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 11:13 AM
(#3)
tnx so much

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi valiamin,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
hand replayer - Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:25 AM
(#5)

Old
bankroll builder - Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:44 AM
(#6)
i watched the video and pass the exam with grade 81%,and also i posted my hand,whats the next step?
tnx

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:40 AM
(#7)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi valiamin! Let's take a look at this hand.

You're in the big blind with 87 offsuit. Since this hand is fairly weak and you'll be out of position post-flop, it would be wise to fold if there is a pre-flop raise. Here, however, everyone just limps (calls the big blind), which means they likely have weak hands. So it's an ideal spot to just check your option and see a flop for free.
The flop comes a two-tone T65. This is a pretty good flop for you, because you have the top end of an open-ended straight draw. While there's some merit to betting out, I'd prefer a check here. You only have 8 high and there are several players in the pot. When you bet, it's likely that you will be called. Making a large bet is definitely a mistake. All you're doing is bloating the pot when you don't yet have a hand. You're just setting a high price for your draw, and you'll only get action from hands that are beating you.
If you check, then a villain might make a more standard bet of less than pot, which would be a price you could call with your draw. Sometimes, the flop will even get checked around, so you gain a free card. When you don't yet have a made hand, getting cheap or free cards is exactly what you want. It's especialy true here, because with your OESD, you're only going to make a straight on the next card about 16% of the time. (Rule of 4 and 2: Multiply your outs (8) by 2 to calculate your chance of hitting).

3 players call your big overbet. I'd expect them to have top pair, an overpair, a flush draw, or maybe two pairs or a set.
You get really lucky on the turn. The 4h doesn't make a flush, but it gives you the nuts. You have the top end of the straight and no one can possibly be beating you. Now you can bet big for value, hoping that all the hands and draws that called on the flop will call again. A bet of 75% of pot is ideal. 320 into 490 is also great, because if there are multiple calls, you'll have the perfect stack size to shove the river.
Villain 2 shoves all in over your raise. This is great for you, as you have the nuts. When the 2 other villains call the bet, you may as well go all in, as one of them only has 56 chips behind. As played, you see the river and it's easy to put the final villain all in, and you drag a monster pot.

You actually got really lucky here. You won't make the nut straight all that often, and even when you do, you often won't get paid off, as opponents won't have much. Here they just had one or two pairs and should never have been putting a lot of money into the pot with their weak holdings.

In future with speculative hands like 87, try to keep the pot small when you're still drawing. Only start making big bets and raises once you've made your monster hand.

A mod will help you get started on the next stage of the promotion, but bear in mind that you should be playing on 9-handed full ring tables, because the tight aggressive strategy outlined on the PSO courses was designed specifically for full ring games.

Good luck!
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 02:44 PM
(#9)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
bankroll builder - Sun Apr 21, 2013, 04:00 AM
(#10)

Old
my second step - Sun Apr 21, 2013, 04:11 AM
(#11)
hi
I passed the cash game exam with grade 91% and i posted one of my hand for u to analyse.
also i watched the video an the answer is>>>>
the reasons for making big bets are;
>>>to put a lot of pressure on opponents
>>>to bluff people off decent hand
>>>to gain value from very strong hands
>>>to protect against strong draws
and now i do all 3 steps here,can i have my second buy-in?
tnx

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:50 AM
(#12)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 11:52 AM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again Valiamin! I'll take a look at this hand, which looks like a pretty brutal one for you.

You have AJ on the button (OTB) and there are two limpers. Since limps are usually weak hands being played by weak players and you have a strong starting hand in the best position, raising for value is good. Often the limpers will fold and you take the pot down uncontested, but if they call you can often win the pot with a continuation bet on the flop whether you hit it or not.
A standard raise is 3bb + 1bb for each limper, so 10c would be good here. 8c isn't terrible, but it might inspire several callers to come along, when you'd rather be heads up.
Three players come along, which is usually bad news, but you get a good flop, top pair on a monotone board. You also have the 2nd best flush draw with your jack, since the Ac and Kc are on the board.
When you bet on a monotone flop, villains will often fold, because it's a scary board if they have no flush draw. Nevertheless, I'd make a big bet here, partly because it's multiway (so it's more likely that someone has a piece) and also because I want to charge any random club draws for trying to hit the flush. I'd go with about 25c into 33c. A bet of this size will also set you up to shove all in on the turn, as you are fairly short-stacked.
Betting 8c is far too small, because it gives draws the right price to call. Only one player calls. Since your bet was so small, his hand could be very weak (e.g. pocket 6s with a flush draw, which would be virtually drawing dead against your hand), medium strength (e.g. a random ace, which you're beating), or he could be super-strong with a flopped flush or even a set. If you're beating villain, you want to get more value from him.
You make trips on the turn, and again you bet small. You posted above about the reasons for making big bets. You said "to gain value from very strong hands, to protect against strong draws". Both these reasons apply, so betting small is a mistake. If villain just has one club, he's not going to call a bet on a blank river, so you have to get the value for your hand while he's still drawing. You do that by betting bigger on the flop and turn.
The river is indeed a blank. The 3h doesn't alter the texture of the board at all, and something strange happens. Villain donks out for 52c, putting you all in. This is a horrible spot to be in. There's a general rule here: "River donk leads represent the nuts". You have top trips, but villain is representing a flush or a full house. I'm not sure if I can find a fold here, but I think it's unlikely villain has worse trips or a total bluff. You're faced with a tough decision partly because you bet so small on earlier streets. If you'd bet big, it would define your hand's strength, meaning that villain would only bet/raise if he had a monster. Since you bet small, you looked weak, so villain might think a hand like AT is good here.

You make the call and it turns out villain flopped a baby flush and slowplayed it. I don't really like the way he played the hand. He should have raised the flop. Having said that, if you'd made a standard raise to 10c pre-flop, he might not have even been in the hand in the first place
In future, when you have a strong holding on a board that offers strong draws, be sure to make bigger bets of close to pot. This will get value and also help you to find out what villain has. If you represent strength and then he makes an even stronger bet, it is a lot easier to get away from a second-best hand.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 01:12 PM
(#14)
thank u 4 ur explanation

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
(#15)
Hi valiamin,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
vpp - Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:41 AM
(#16)
hi
i watched that video and have earned 10 vpp,now i have 12 vpp,can i have my third bouns?
tnx

Last edited by valiamin; Mon Apr 22, 2013 at 01:01 AM..

Old
hand replayer - Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:56 AM
(#17)

this is the hand that i've lost my second bouns
whats the next step?
tnx u so much

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:50 PM
(#18)

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 22, 2013, 05:12 PM
(#19)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiamin View Post

this is the hand that i've lost my second bouns
whats the next step?
tnx u so much
Hi valiamin!

There are several points with this hand. Firstly, 72s is one of the worst hands you can be dealt. You want to fold this 100% of the time. Secondly, you are short stacked with only 12.5 bbs. In short stacked situations like this it is normally best to look for spots where you can raise or 3-bet all in preflop. You will have decent fold equity and picking up the blinds or a small pot is significant compared to your stack.

As played, I would suggest raising all in on the flop. Your hand is unlikely to improve. It is better to hope that the villain does not have top pair or an overpair. They will often fold middle pair to a raise. So, I would prefer moving all in on the flop after getting a pair.

Moving all in on the river is not a good choice. Firstly, the villain has bet every street. It seems like they have at least a pair and any pair will be better than yours. Moreover, notice the texture of the board. 9,10,J and Q are all in the villain's opening range. Plus any 8 or K just made a straight. There is nearly no chance that you are ahead here.

Try to be patient and wait for solid starting hands and good situations. It will make your postflop play much easier.

I hope this helps!

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:52 AM
(#20)
Hi,

Fantastic!

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your final bonus. Let us know if you hit that target.
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonus from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com