Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

mtt lesson

Old
mtt lesson - Fri Apr 19, 2013, 11:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
ive just watched the training quiz on the middle phase lesson, its just told me that i should open raise KQ to 4bb ( ok fair enough) the sb call flop comes Qc 7c 6c

villain raises 2 3rds of the pot you have top pair and a good kicker now it says you should push all whether the flush is there or not really is that right, we didnt even have a club ourselves that would be a fold in my book

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#2)
Oh dear this lesson just got me knocked out the tourney i flopped top 2 pair villain flops a straight i called his raise flush rolls out i push all in he was a very tight player i nearly scared him of as well

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 12:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Tournament strategy is somewhat different to cash game strategy, primarily because you will be short-stacked relative to the blinds for much of the game. After raising KQ and betting TPTK, it's often correct to shove the flop or bet the flop and call a shove because you are pot-committed. (Pot is large and remaining stacks are short).
In tourneys, there's very little multi-street action once the blinds reach 100. You often commit to your hand either pre-flop (when you're under 15bb or so) or on the flop, and you should be stacking off light.

See TheLangolier's training sessions on commitment decisions and Managing short/medium stacks.

P.S. The lesson didn't knock you out of the tourney. Villain's better hand did.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 12:36 PM
(#4)
Yh your right Arty his hand did knock me out but if i wernt reading lessons while i was playing i would of lost maybe 3k tops in that hand because i could fold knowing im well and truly beat, it was my fault i was trying to get to a monster stack so i can try being a big fish with it hahah, what i should of done is gone i can afford losing 3k of my 10k stack at this stage and waited for a new hand

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
ive just watched the training quiz on the middle phase lesson, its just told me that i should open raise KQ to 4bb ( ok fair enough) the sb call flop comes Qc 7c 6c

villain raises 2 3rds of the pot you have top pair and a good kicker now it says you should push all whether the flush is there or not really is that right, we didnt even have a club ourselves that would be a fold in my book
I dunno what lesson you were watching but I never raise 4x pre EVER unless i am the button with 1 to 3 limpers. If you are the first raiser i dunno when 4x pre is ever a good idea

What video was it so i know

Old
Fri Apr 19, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#6)
It's OK to open for 4bb in the very early stages of a tourney when you have a very strong hand in early position and expect to get called by weak players with speculative hands when the blinds are 10/20.
But KQ doesn't qualify as a very strong hand, and this wasn't the early stages of the tourney, so I agree with Matt. I'd only make it 4x if I was deep-stacked and there was already one or two limpers in the pot. If I had less than 20bb, I'd often be going all in.

EDIT: It actually says to raise 4bb with KQ on this page: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...-Middle-Blinds

I think that must have been written before smallball strategy (with smaller open-sizes) became the popular standard.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Fri Apr 19, 2013 at 06:52 PM..

Old
Sat Apr 20, 2013, 05:42 PM
(#7)
Yes I dont watch alot of the videos on here caus they are very outdated. I went to watch 1 of the 5050 vids and was trying to figure out when they played it cause the structure and buyin were something I had never seen. Getting some new videos relevant to the times and some hyper videos for me personally would be great and something I may enjoy

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com