Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
I would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 11:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by benxie View Post
I would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi benxie,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
(#4)
AKo from the Small Blind

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#5)
All 3 steps are completed!

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 11:10 AM
(#6)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi benxie!

With AK from the SB, I get a standard raise, then min 3-bet and a call of the 3-bet. In most instances, I'd 4-bet to 300 here, but if the opps are not going to fold, I'll just call the 3-bet of 100 and see if I can hit the flop.

The flop gives me two overs and a gutshot draw, but any of the opps could easily have a Q or a 10. Due to this, I'm going to check and hope to see a free turn card.

The turn is a miss and with everyone checking the flop, I'm going to take one shot here to win the pot. With 3 opps, I need to bet 3/4 pot, so I will bet 315. I do not want to bet less than this, as all of the opps will be getting the correct odds to try to outdraw me. I want to size all of my bets (both value bets and bluffs) to look like value bets that would give the opps the wrong odds to draw to beat me if I have the best hand. Standard bets are a key, as many players bet less with weaker hands and more with stronger hands and doing so turns their cards face-up to their opponents... something that I do NOT want to do.
If this bet is raised, then I'll muck. If it's called, then I won't put another chip into the pot unless I improve on the river.

The river is a blank and here, I'm going to check and go to showdown. Making a large almost pot-sized bet is not what I want to do here, as I want my hands to tell a consistant story throughout the hand. Preflop, I raised and then called a 3-bet which says that my hand is strong. On the flop, I checked, which says wekaness. The very small turn bet doesn't make sense and screams weakness, as the bet really doesn't accomplish anything, as it's too small to give anyone the wrong odds to draw. Then a very large bet on the river... it just doesn't make sense and when hands don't make sense... they're normally a bluff and will get called by an observant opp. Bluffing at micro games will normally just get players into trouble, as there are too many opps that don't know where the fold button is.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 03:24 PM
(#8)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 23, 2013, 03:58 PM
(#9)
Hey John, thanks for the analysis!

I didn't really know how to play that hand since I didn't hit anything on the board, and I was playing from the SB. I have a better idea of what to do now - Thanks!

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 03:21 PM
(#10)
List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

1) put pressure on opponents
2) bluff people off decent hands
3) gain value from strong hands

Old
Thu Apr 25, 2013, 11:21 AM
(#11)
Hi benxie,

Please let us know when you have passed the cash game course.
Good luck at the tables.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 01:21 PM
(#12)
Hi Joss, I have passed the cash game course.

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 01:25 PM
(#13)
Should I have made those bets for information? Or were those costly?

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 01:26 PM
(#14)
Should I have re-raised the river?

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 02:02 PM
(#15)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 03:50 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi benxie! Let's take a look at these two hands.

1. You have ATs in middle position, facing a raise by a player in early position. I'd actually recommend you fold this time, because ATs doesn't do well against the likely range of the villain. He'll have a hand like 99+, AQ+ or AJs+. You're not beating any of those hands. You actually decided to re-raise (3-bet). This is a mistake, because that further narrows villain's range. While he might fold the weaker parts of it (TT-99, AJ), everything that continues has you completely crushed. Another problem is that your raise isn't big enough. A standard size for a re-raise would be to make it 3 times the size of the original open, so that villain isn't getting a good price to call. Something like 18c is standard for a 3-bet. (It's a coincidence that a standard 3-bet is three times the size of the first bet).
As played, villain calls. Most of the time, I think he'll have a pocket pair of QQ-TT, but he might show up with AQs or AK. The flop comes K86, which is a good flop to make a continuation bet on. You shouldn't be betting for information here. We already know that villain opened in early position and called a 3-bet, so we know his hand is pretty strong. Information is a side-effect of betting, not its main purpose. To be clear, we should bet for value (when we have the best hand and think villain will call with worse) or as a bluff (when we don't have a hand, but think villain can fold a better one). So here, your c-bet is a bluff. By betting, you want him to fold hands like QQ-TT so that you win the pot with ace high. If he calls the c-bet, he nearly always has a king (with AK or KK), but occasionally he'll have the nut flush draw with AQdd.
Villain check-calls the c-bet, so you know you're you're beat (If villain has the NFD, his ace high is better than your ace high). Giving up is the right idea. The blank 2 on the turn doesn't change anything, so if you bet again, you're getting called again. When villain bets the river, he's doing it for value with his top pair, so you make a good fold.
You didn't lose too much money here, but whenever you're faced with a decision and are considering a bet or raise, always ask yourself "Can I get called by worse, or make better hands fold?" If the answer is no, then don't make the bet/raise. Villain's EP range is so strong that you had very little chance of getting him to fold, so it would have been better to just let this hand go pre-flop.
If this villain hadn't been in the pot, then ATs is a good hand to open-raise with in this seat. It's just not a good hand to call or re-raise with.

2. You're in the BB facing a minraise by the SB. He'll typically have a weak hand here, and you can call in position because you sometimes have the best hand. If villain was tight, or made a bigger raise, I'd just let this one go, because a king with no kicker is pretty weak. I basically wouldn't play K2o in any situation except in the BB vs SB, and when I do, I'm aiming to win a small pot, because playing a big pot with that hand (or even something like K8) would usually mean you were losing.
As played, you call and the flop comes 772, so you made a pair. Villain bets half pot and you call, which is standard. You have to be slightly worried that villain has an overpair, but since he'd probably c-bet this board 100% of the time (expecting you to have missed it completely), you get value by calling. The jack on the turn is slightly worrying, but villain bets such a small proportion of the pot that he's probably still got nothing. He might have picked up a flush draw, but I think your pair is good quite often, so calling again is good.
The river brings a king, so you made top pair. You actually have 3 pairs if could make a hand using 6 cards, but what the king actually does is cancel out your pair of deuces. You have two pair kings and sevens. This means that if villain also has a king, you will chop the pot, unless he has a king with a jack or better kicker, in which case he'll win it all. No draws came in, so your top pair is almost certainly good, especially when villain bets small.
There's no scope for raising the river. Ask yourself what happens if you raise. Villain will fold all his worse hands (including bluffs) so you don't make any more money, but will call (or re-raise) with all his better hands, so you lose much more. Like I said before, if you can't get called by worse, then don't make a raise. Just flatting here is fine. You caught villain bluffing and dragged a nice pot. You would have won this even if you hadn't made the king on the river, because your deuce beats his ace high. Nice call down, well played!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#17)
Thanks for the analysis Arty - now I know not to bet solely for information.

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 06:29 PM
(#18)
Hi benxie,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:41 AM
(#19)
I'm taking some time to get the requisite VPPs, because I'm playing quite tightly for fear of losing my bonus. Is there a time limit on the promotion?

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:17 AM
(#20)
Hi benxie,

Take all the time you need, there's no limit. Feel free to post any trouble hands that you would like analysed.
Good luck at the tables!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com