Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How much worse can this get?

Old
How much worse can this get? - Wed Apr 24, 2013, 12:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
I guess what I'm wanting to know is what's the worst run everyone else has experienced. I play 18 man turbo SNGs, and just went 30 for 30 tournaments today without placing in a single one. This comes a week after busting out over 75% of my bankroll between tournaments/cash games (following strict BRM guidlines).

I'm not a terrible player, I've been top 20 on the weekly leaderboard (actually started in top 10 with 504 points which would have been good for top 10 in any week I had seen previously, and any week since, but ofc the week when I get it 10 more people find higher scores). This recent 30 tournament losing streak comes right as I was on pace for a top spot in the high orbit board.

I don't want to jump on the "Pokerstars/online poker is rigged" bandwagon, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm constantly losing dominating all-in matchups like AK vs Ax, KQ vs Q9, etc. I'd estimate that I'm winning less than 40% of these when all in, when I should be seeing about a 70% win-rate. I don't have the exact numbers, as I'm usually a cash game player, and not too familiar with Pokertracker's tournament functions yet. If anyone who knows their way around Pokertracker can help me out with that I'd really appreciate having an easy way to look at all of my tournament all-in hands in one spot so I can do the math on them.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Demz

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 12:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Demz!

Unfortunately, these streaks are going to happen to all of us. I've had plenty of 20-40 game streaks without cashing... it's a part of poker.

One thing that you can do is to do a review of the hands that you're playing in the tourneys and look to see if there were any situations (especially in position) that you may have missed. Also, take a look at your bet sizes to be sure that you're not giving away any tells there.

Use me for an example. I've been running sets of 100 play money 45's (I'm in the US, so I can't play on PS for cash right now) and thru just under 1k games, I'm running about 42% ITM and +120% ROI... BUT... I've had six streaks of 20+ and three of 30+ in a row that I donuted.... nada.

All you can do is to keep playing your game, look for leaks and plug any if you find them. If there are any hands that you'd like for us to look at, please post them in the tournament HA section using the hand replayer and we'll be happy to go thru them for you.

Hang in there and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com