Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Flopped Quads against flopped full house

Old
Flopped Quads against flopped full house - Wed Apr 24, 2013, 05:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013

I was playing in OSL, I decided to see a flop with pocket 55s, I flopped quads, slow played it, the other player had flopped a full house with his pokcet 99s. I think I had made the most profit out of it, hadn't I?

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 06:01 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 06:12 PM
(#3)
Sorry, I was looking for the right forum :/

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TeeKho!

With 55 from mid position in a league game, I'm either going to make a standard open-raise (3BB+1BB for each limper for this blind level) or fold preflop. I do not want to open-limp or raise less, as this shows weakness and is very exploitable by an observant opponent.... if they raise, I can't call and will have just leaked off 120 chips. The other problem with limping here is that I don't have the stack in front of me to setmine. When setmining, I need to have 15X the bet in both my stack and the opp's stack... and I don't have that many.
If this were a cash tourney, I'd need to open-shove or fold but with this being a league game and that I'm out of position, I really can't call a raise here. When the opp raises to 240, I do not have enough chips to setmine, so I need to fold. Only because it's a league game can I open-raise then fold... in any other tourney, I need to open-shove or fold.

If I saw the flop (which I would only do if I open-raised and everyone else called) and see that I flop quads, then I'm going to check/call the flop and hope that one of the other opps bets.

The same on the turn IF someone else bets on the flop. If they do, then I'll check/call. If they all check the flop, then I will make a value bet on the turn based on the number of opps in the pot and with 3 opps, I'll bet 3/4 pot.

The keys here are the preflop bets. I need to make a standard open or fold preflop and being out of position, I cannot call a preflop raise with a marginal hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
(#5)
I agree, although the reason why I tried to limp is because it's a league tourney, normally in a tourney I'd either shove or fold. But since I was trying to survive, I decided to limp (normally I wouldn't). Thanks for the info.

Old
Wed Apr 24, 2013, 08:00 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In a league game, I'm going to be more conservative with what hands I play, however, when I do play a hand, I still want to play it aggressively. Passive play will lead to me getting drawn out on more and more often, as I'll give the opps the right odds to outdraw me.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com