Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

7regniw

Old
7regniw - Thu Apr 25, 2013, 06:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,
I'm interested in taking part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
Thu Apr 25, 2013, 07:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Apr 26, 2013, 05:41 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7regniw View Post
Hi,
I'm interested in taking part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bank Roll Promotion Hand Question - Fri Apr 26, 2013, 01:11 PM
(#4)

First, am I being too passive by just calling pre-flop with suited JQ in late position?
Second, I thought this was pretty much a perfect flop for me (flush and straigt draws). Once the heart comes on the turn, should I have known to fold based on the quick all-in by the other player? Is there a reasonable thought process to get away from this hand?

Old
Fri Apr 26, 2013, 02:06 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Poker Basics - Fri Apr 26, 2013, 02:27 PM
(#6)
I passed the Poker Basics quiz.

Old
Fri Apr 26, 2013, 03:31 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi 7regniw!

With QJs from the hijack, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, if I'm going to play the hand. I'm doing this to try to lessen the field and maybe get the two opps with position on me to fold. If I limp, then I'll have to play the hand out of position, as they're getting too good of odds to fold. Therefore, I'll raise to 6BB or 120.

I flop 15 outs to a straight or flush and have an opp bet 80 that is called. Here, I want to call and not raise. I have a hand with great potential, but I only have Q high. By raising to almost the size of the pot, I'm acually giving myself the wrong odds to try to draw... something I don't want to do. I want to be making plays where I expect to gain chips, not lose chips. My 15 outs are worth 30% equity to the turn (from the rule of 4 and 2).... so I don't want to put over 30% into the pot or I will expect to LOSE chips from the bet.

The turn is good news/bad news. Yes, I have the 3rd highest possbile flush, but with a pair on the board, I can also be beat by quads or a full house, let alone a higher flush.
To call, I need to put 810 into a pot that will be 2750 (29.5%)... this means that I need to be ahead 29.5% of the time for the play to breakeven. Whether I call or not will be based on my read of the opp. If the opp is playing extremely tight, then I'm mucking, as they'll have a better flush, full house or quads. If the opp is playing loose and like a maniac, then I'm calling here, as I'll be ahead of more of their possible hands. The key will be my read on the opp.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 02:25 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I passed the Poker Basics quiz.
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
$.01/$.02 Question - Sat Apr 27, 2013, 03:46 PM
(#9)

Hi,

I played this hand, but wasn't comfortable with my decisions. This table seemed to be very passive, so I decided to be more aggresive.

First, raising from early middle position with AQ. Is that a strong enough had from that position to play and should I have made a larger bet with so many people still to act behind? What about making the call on the re-raise?

Second, on the flop I hit second pair. I decided to make a contiuation bet and stay aggresive, but wasn't sure how big to make it in this situation. I wanted to induce a fold and to be honest wasn't sure what I would do next if they called or raised. I am guessing a raise would mean I should fold(?), but if they had called what do I do on the turn. I'm thinking that means a weak Kx since it was a fairly large bet to call with just a draw.

Thanks for your help,
7regniw

Last edited by 7regniw; Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: mixed up how hand was played.

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#10)
List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

1. To apply pressure to an opponent.
2. As a bluff to induce a fold.
3. To build a value in the pot for a made hand.

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#11)
Passed the Cash Game quiz.

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 06:50 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 07:45 AM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:

Hi,

I played this hand, but wasn't comfortable with my decisions. This table seemed to be very passive, so I decided to be more aggresive.

First, raising from early middle position with AQ. Is that a strong enough had from that position to play and should I have made a larger bet with so many people still to act behind? What about making the call on the re-raise?

Second, on the flop I hit second pair. I decided to make a contiuation bet and stay aggresive, but wasn't sure how big to make it in this situation. I wanted to induce a fold and to be honest wasn't sure what I would do next if they called or raised. I am guessing a raise would mean I should fold(?), but if they had called what do I do on the turn. I'm thinking that means a weak Kx since it was a fairly large bet to call with just a draw.

Thanks for your help,
7regniw

Hi 7regniw

Thanks for posting your thought process! It helps me to help you better. Note, adjusting your play to fit the table is great - well done However, if the table has been passive, you should be giving the 3-bet more credit for being a strong hand. This alone is a strong argument for folding.

AQo is good to open with from early mid position and your bet size was standard. However, you get 3-bet by the btn. Calling 3-bets is not recommended when the raiser has position on you. I suggest folding everything except AA and KK and with these hands it is better to 4-bet rather than call.

As played, I was happy to see you lead with a bet on the flop. This was a great way to regain the initiative and win the hand. Your bet is a semi-bluff since you do not have top pair. If the villain calls you need to reevaluate on the turn, however I would normally be prepared to fire a new barrel. If the villain raises your bet on the flop or turn, you are beat and should just fold.

Keep it up!

GL and have fun at the tables§
Roland GTX

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 07:54 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Passed the Cash Game quiz.
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Poorly played hand... - Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:01 PM
(#15)

Well, I messed this hand up.
I know I should have raised pre-flop being in middle position. I was slow in acting as I have the Starting Hand Guide open to look at as I play and was running out of time to act. Anyway, flop comes and I lead out,am raised and call. Turn comes, bet and fold. Should I have called the turn bet, raise or was the fold the correct thing to do?
Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 7regniw; Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: fixed hand play

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 04:56 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:29 AM
(#17)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi 7regniw! I'll take a look at this hand.

JJ is either the 4th or 5th most profitable hand in holdem, depending on the game you play (cash/tourney, full ring/6-max etc). Provided there has been no raise before you act, you can always raise with this hand. Since there was a limp UTG, which usually indicates a weak hand, you should make a standard raise of 3bb + 1bb for the limper (8c total), to get value for your hand and to charge weaker hands if they want to try and out-flop you. Sometimes you'll just pick up the 5c of dead money in the pot, but that's not a terrible result. The problem with limping is that other players can get into the pot at a bargain price. The big blind can even check his option. If the pot is multiway, then you'll hate about 60% of flops, because they will contain an overcard to your pair, and someone is bound to have connected with a king, queen or ace. If you subscribe to my blog, I'm going to post some easy-to-read hand charts so you know which cards you can raise with in each seat, and I'll give you advice on how to play them.

As played, you just call, as does the button. The BB checks and you see a 4-way flop of T99. This is a pretty good flop for you in one respect, as you have an overpair. One problem with this flop is that anyone with a random 9 has trips, so you're crushed. Since there was no raise pre-flop, it's perfectly possible that someone decided to speculate with a hand like 98s or even T9, which flopped a full house. The big blind saw a flop for free, so might have 92o! Other likely holdings are QJ and 87 that have open-ended straight draws. Betting out is definitely the right play, but things could get tricky if you get called, because you won't know if someone has you beat with trips, or if they just have top pair with a hand like JT/QT, or just a draw with something like 8 high.
You make a decent bet of 8c into 10c and you get minraised. Here, a read on the opponent would be useful. If they are quite loose-aggressive, this raise could be just a ten or a draw, or even a total bluff. If they are usually more passive - just calling, not raising - then they are telling you they have trips. Since it's only a minraise, I don't mind calling to see what they do on the turn, but the only really good cards for you are the two remaining jacks. Middling cards like 6s, 7s and 8s could complete a straight.
Checking to the last raiser is correct on the turn. Villain only bets 10c into 41c. This is a very weak bet. Unless this player is slowplaying a full house or trips, I'd actually put them on just a 10 here. You're getting a great price to call, and you could have the best hand. I don't mind your fold here, but if you were going to fold the turn for such a small bet, then you should have folded to the flop raise.
Always have a plan for your hand. Before you make a bet, raise or call, think about what you'll do if you get raised or bet into again. If you feel your hand is beat, and you don't have many outs to improve, fold at the earliest opportunity.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old
Starting Hand Guide - Mon Apr 29, 2013, 03:59 PM
(#18)
Hi,
As I was studying the Starting Hand Guide in the Pre-Flop Essentials tutorial I noticed that 99 isn't on the chart. I'm just curious if they would fall under the mid pair or small pair category.
Thanks

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 06:19 PM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi,
As I was studying the Starting Hand Guide in the Pre-Flop Essentials tutorial I noticed that 99 isn't on the chart. I'm just curious if they would fall under the mid pair or small pair category.
Thanks
Hey there,

I would say mid-pair and like all mid-pairs I would usually open in late position if folded around to me preflop. Post flop play would depend on the texture of the flop (overcards, draws etc) and my actions would be based on the player actions before me. It's easier to make a decision when you're in position post flop and have the advantage for gleaning all that information before it's you're turn to act.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com