Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder - Predanni

Old
Bankroll builder - Predanni - Sat Apr 27, 2013, 01:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hello,
I would like to apply to the promotion.
If I do qualify, will I be still eligible for first time deposit bonuses?

Last edited by Predanni; Sat Apr 27, 2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 02:12 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 05:43 PM
(#3)
Hi Predanni,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 07:59 PM
(#4)
I've watched the getting started and completed the Basics and Cash Game courses.

Here is the hand:

Not sure if played it right. I probably shouldn't be calling a 3bet with KQo, but it was a small one and I have position, and it's a play money after all . On the flop I hit my queen and the original raiser c-bets less that half a pot, so I call. He bets less than 1/3 on the turn. It seems to me like he isn't sure about his hand and I likely have the best one. He doesn't have much left so I just put him all-in.

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 10:53 PM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 27, 2013, 11:50 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Predanni!

With KQo from mid position with a limper in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 4BB or 800.

The SB now raises to 1800 (more than a min raise, but less than a standard raise). Here is where a read on the opp would be needed. If the opp was playing tighter, then even with position, I'm going to muck here, as I could be up against AK or AQ.
If the opp is loose, then I'll call and see the flop in position.

I flop 2 pair, but there is a pair of 6's on the board. The opp now makes a smaller than normal c-bet of 1800. A normal bet for a HU situation is 1/2 pot (2k). It's also the same bet they made preflop, ironically. Many opps will try to bet small if they are on a draw (to price themselves in)... but with this flop, there are no draws, so the bet is really weird. I'm going to call here with caution and re-evealuate on the turn, as something definitely doesn't look right.

The turn 10 now puts straight and a flush draw on the board and the opp makes an abnormally small bet (once again, a standard bet size for this situation would be 1/2 pot, as that will give the opp the wrong odds to draw to a flush). Their bet also is very close to pot-committing the opp too (this happens at 1/3 of their chips being in the pot). With this being the case, against a loose opp, I'm going to raise here and my standard raise size is to between 3X the opp's bet and a pot-sized raise). Either of these are going to have the opp pot-committed, so I'm just going to shove. Yes, sometimes the opp will show up with a 6 or AQ here, but there are so many lesser hands that can call that a shove here will be profitable in the long run.

A number of opps if they did have a 6 or AQ here, would over-value their hand and try to bet too big (this opp does not do that). When playing an opp that would do this, I need to muck anything except a hand that would have them beat (here I'd need to have a hand that would beat trip 6's). These are the types of bets that I do not want to call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 12:53 AM
(#7)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 04:07 AM
(#8)
Thanks for the hand review. It was a zoom table and I didn't have any reads on the opp but with his weird bets I expect him to be a weaker player and he is either have a strong hand and afraid to scary me away, or makes a weak bets with weak holding. I've seen both kinds of players at this game but I think statistically I'll run into a weak hand more often that into a monster.

Now to the task )
The reasons to bet big are to bluff opponents from a decent hand/to gain value from very strong hands/to protect against very strong draws.
Cash game course and the quiz done.

I've been on the table for 2 orbits. The guy on the button plays almost every hand, 2/3 of them for a raise. In this spot, when it's folded to him I'd expect him to show up with any 2 cards. I decide to 3bet for value with ATs. I miss the flop, but expect the opp to miss it often enough as well and go for a cbet. I think it was a bad decision vs this opponent. He is aggressive and I didn't really had a plan what to do if he re-raises. It is probably better to go for a check raise. The opp tends to make small stabs into pot (2c into 8c, 4c into 20c) and folded to a re-raise few times during this session. I'd expect him to bet something like 4-6 cents in this case.
He now min raises my cbet and I just call. Luckily I made 2nd pair top kicker on the flop. Now my plan is to bet fold. I expect him to call often enough with worse like worse pair or worse kicker or a draw, if he re-raises again I think he has at least a pair of jacks or better and I fold. He calls and on the river comes 3rd club. If he was calling with club draw he got there now and I check to him. If he ships I think I fold, but most of the time I expect him to either check or make his usual small bet.

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 09:52 AM
(#9)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 05:47 PM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanni View Post
Thanks for the hand review. It was a zoom table and I didn't have any reads on the opp but with his weird bets I expect him to be a weaker player and he is either have a strong hand and afraid to scary me away, or makes a weak bets with weak holding. I've seen both kinds of players at this game but I think statistically I'll run into a weak hand more often that into a monster.

Now to the task )
The reasons to bet big are to bluff opponents from a decent hand/to gain value from very strong hands/to protect against very strong draws.
Cash game course and the quiz done.

I've been on the table for 2 orbits. The guy on the button plays almost every hand, 2/3 of them for a raise. In this spot, when it's folded to him I'd expect him to show up with any 2 cards. I decide to 3bet for value with ATs. I miss the flop, but expect the opp to miss it often enough as well and go for a cbet. I think it was a bad decision vs this opponent. He is aggressive and I didn't really had a plan what to do if he re-raises. It is probably better to go for a check raise. The opp tends to make small stabs into pot (2c into 8c, 4c into 20c) and folded to a re-raise few times during this session. I'd expect him to bet something like 4-6 cents in this case.
He now min raises my cbet and I just call. Luckily I made 2nd pair top kicker on the flop. Now my plan is to bet fold. I expect him to call often enough with worse like worse pair or worse kicker or a draw, if he re-raises again I think he has at least a pair of jacks or better and I fold. He calls and on the river comes 3rd club. If he was calling with club draw he got there now and I check to him. If he ships I think I fold, but most of the time I expect him to either check or make his usual small bet.
Hi Predanni,

Interestng hand! Your thoughts on the hand seem pretty good. However, I think I would have called preflop rather than 3-betting. Firstly, this villain is very laggy. It seems unlikely that they are folding preflop. A10s is a bit weak to be raising with. We dont want to inflate the pot with a somewhat marginal hand. In general at 2NL, and against very loose opponents in particular, I play straight forward preflop, only 3-betting my strongest hands, and wait until I have a made hand post flop. You can take this type of opponent to value town when you flop top pair top kicker or a stronger hand.

Your post flop line is good in this hand. Since you raised preflop, I like that you lead with a c-bet on the flop. Min-reraises are often a tell of a very strong hand or very weak hand. Against an super laggy opponent I am leaning towards a weak hand. Therefore calling was fine. The turn gives you middle pair and betting looks fine here. Checking the river was good too. If the villain has nothing, then they will usually fold to a river bet. So, it was unlikely that you would win more. You have showdown value but not a huge hand. You don't want to bet and get raised out of the hand.

You played this hand well and your logic is on the right track. Well done Remember though, high risk spots like this ought to be a rare exception at 2NL. It is safer and quite profitable to play straight forward ABC poker. Value betting your strong hands and folding in unclear spots.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:40 PM
(#11)
Hi Predanni,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
(#12)
8 more points to go. It takes long in micro stakes.

I have another hand I'd like to post for a review. Not sure how it should be played.

I limp on the button after 2 another limpers with 77, generally to setmine. I have a small overpair on the board on the flop. It checks to me and I make a pot-size bet. I probably have the best hand now and position, want to narrow the field to make it less likely that someone hits a better pair on turn or river, or take it down now. BB is new to the table, I think it was the first hand he got involved. He donks the turn with a large bet and I fold. It seemed to me like he has a 4 and wants to get stacks in on the river, less likely to be a bluff or a Q. But my main question is on the flop play, no sure if it was better to check it and give up to a bet on an overcard on further streets.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 07:10 PM
(#13)
Hu Predanni,

He will do this within the next 24 hours.
Keep up the good work!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 07:43 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Predanni! I'll take a look at this 77 hand. From your earlier posts, it's clear you're definitely thinking about how to get value for your hands, and are playing solidly.

On the button with 77 is a great spot to just call and go set-mining at the cheapest possible price. While I'd sometimes make a raise to try and pick up the dead money without a fight, or to isolate one of the players that limped before you, calling in position is fine too. When you're building a bankroll, you don't want to play big pots without very strong hands, so keeping the pot small where possible is great for now.
As played, you call, the SB gets out of the way, and the BB checks his option, so he can literally have ATC. The flop is pretty good for you. You didn't spike a set, but you have an overpair. When it checks to you, I think betting is good and your sizing is fine, as that will disincline loose calls from hands that have decent equity against you (specifically, any two overcards to your pair).
This is one of those weird spots where the purpose of your bet is to win the pot immediately. It's not a bluff, because nothing better than 77 is folding, but it's not really a value-bet, because almost no worse hands are calling and giving you value. When you get called in two spots, you have to shut down on the turn, unless you hit your 2-outer.
Your decision on how to proceed is made very easy when the BB donks out on the turn. Although occasionally he's doing this with a random flush draw that made a very loose call on the flop, I think it's more likely he hit a "big blind special" with a random 4 when he checked his option pre-flop. This is a clear fold, because not only do you only have 2 outs, you'll be sure to face another big bet on the river, which will probably be another card higher than a 7. Well played!

Best of luck on the next stage of the promotion!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 03, 2013, 07:28 PM
(#15)
Hi there
I've finally reached the 10 VPPs.

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 01:20 AM
(#16)
Hi Predanni,

Good for you! When the system detects that you have made 10 VPPs since the last bonus, the next one will be credited to you. Be patient though, it can take up to 48 hours...

Keep up the good work!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 10:44 AM
(#17)
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the hand analysis forums in the Poker Education section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on Bankroll Management at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com