Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Zoom 2NL: 22

Old
Zoom 2NL: 22 - Sun Apr 28, 2013, 01:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011

I don't think I would normally play 2's this way, but the limp sort of enticed me to raise. Was a bit worried about the button's call.

Standard c-bet on the flop with the intention of check folding after that.

But then the set hits and now I'm looking to take the remaining villan to value town. My main question here is about my bet sizing. Could have I gotten more value? Did I get lucky getting the value I did?

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Saturnation!

I don't mind iso-raising here, especially if the limper plays fit-or-fold post-flop and will fold to a c-bet, but I'd make it 8c (3bb + 1bb per limper), as 6c doesn't have much fold equity and gives players behind a cheap price to see a multiway flop.
The button calls as well, so there's 21c in the middle when the flop comes KJ9tt (two-tone, with a flush draw).
I'm not betting this flop, because it's so damn wet, you have the worst underpair, and you have two villains in the pot. They are calling with any K, any two Broadways, any two clubs. You might even be basically drawing dead against a flopped straight. Since you have no fold equity, and only 2 outs, just check-fold, because betting just builds a pot you have almost no shot at winning.

As played, you bet half pot, the button folds and the limper calls. His check-calling range is mostly draws and one pair. He can have a lot of pair+draw combos with hands like KT or QJ. Fortunately, you bink your two-outer on the turn, so now you can bet for value instead of bluffing. I think your sizing is way too small here. The pot is 41c, and I'd go for at least 30c here, to get value from villain's range. Anything that called on the flop is also calling the turn, because that is a total blank. You have a big hand on a very wet board that villain hit in some way, so get some value. Note also that if he only has a flush draw, then he's not going to pay you off on the river if the flush doesn't hit. Since he'll check-fold missed draws on the river, get your value NOW, while he's still drawing.

The river is another blank. With 65c in the pot, I'd go for something like 45c. You almost certainly have the best hand (villain didn't lead out, repping a slow-played straight) and you can get called by lots of worse ones. Your small bet on the turn can make villain think just a king or jack is good, so a bigger bet here can look bluffy. Betting 15c into 65c will allow you to get looked up by very weak hands (maybe even ace high), but there's scope for getting much more value from Kx and two pairs.

Villain's hand isn't shown, but I'm sure he's calling at least half pot if he has a king, so you missed a lot of value here. Remember that with a hand like 22, you'll rarely hit a set, so when you do, you have to try and win a whole stack to make up for all the times you put in 6c pre-flop and then had to miss. You don't win a whole stack if you make tiny bets like 12c and 15c.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
Hi Arty,

Thanks for the good info. I'd usually bet .08 there, not sure why I didn't. Not c-betting make sense because I'm weak. I bet small for value because I had the villan playing pretty loose and didn't want to lose them, but your reasoning makes sense. In the end, the villan showed up with Jx.

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 04:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
The reason I don't like c-betting this flop is not just because your hand is weak. It's because you're nearly always getting called by better hands, or hands with a ton of equity against you.
If the flop had been a K83 rainbow and you're heads up, then it's a very easy c-bet with 22, because villains are much more likely to fold on a dry flop.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com