Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

rake

Old
rake - Sun Apr 28, 2013, 01:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

whats this rake all about in the black box

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Rake is how poker sites make money. In cash games, every time a flop a seen, the site will take a small percentage from the pot. At the lowest stakes, rake is usually between 3 and 8% of the final pot and it's fixed according to a schedule listed in the terms and conditions. Pokerstars has the lowest rake in the industry. Some sites have such high rake, that's it's almost impossible to beat the games. :/
Games like Omaha can also be hard to crush, because the rake is high and you'll be playing more hands than you would in holdem. Nevertheless, if the players are much worse than you, then your edge is significant enough to beat the high rake.
At higher stakes, the rake is often capped at quite a low amount, but winrates also tend to be lower at higher stakes.

In tournaments, the rake is the "registration fee" and it's usually 10% of the buy-in. So if a 10-player tourney had a $1 buy-in inc 10% rake, then the site collects 10 * 10c = $1, and the prize pool is 10 * 90c = $9.
The amount of rake you pay is linked to reward points. The more pots you play, the more rake you pay, so the more reward points (VPPs) you gain.

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/rake/

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 01:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Oh i see so pokerstars made more money out of me than i have myself lol

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Yeah. I'm afraid that's fairly standard. Just be glad you're not a losing player. Rake often works out at about 5bb/100, so if you're winning at 5bb/100 post-rake, that means you'd be winning at 10bb/100 in a rakeless game, so you're clearly better than the average player.

P.S. I forgot to say that Stars' reward scheme is among the most generous in the industry. The FPPs/VPPs are a form of "rakeback", because you can trade in your points for cash bonuses. On some sites, you'd have to play about 215,000 hands of 2NL to collect $10 in rakeback. Stars pays out that amount for a much smaller sample size.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 01:51 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com