Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL tricky turn

Old
2NL tricky turn - Sun Apr 28, 2013, 02:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
hand #6 in a 2NL cash game today. No major reads yet.

I didn't wanna go and fold two big blinds in a row and set a pattern that I'm easy to steal from, hence the call. On the flop, when he checks I don't put him on an Ace, he probably would've bet it. In retrospect, he did check the turn, and then made a big overbet with his check-raise. I'm kinda puzzled.

I think my fold is pretty much spot on. Or can anyone see the villain doing this with anything other than a made flush?

The Road to Fame and Fortune - Keeping track of my poker semi-career
Keep up to date: @Ov3rsight

Last edited by Ov3rsight; Sun Apr 28, 2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old
Sun Apr 28, 2013, 05:27 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Tough to really know what villain is up to considering the positions, the action, and no reads. It seems very plausible that villain is check-raising big on the turn with a better Q, flush, or slowplayed set that just filled up.

Something to consider in this hand: If you think Q9o was good enough to make a call here (for image reasons), wouldn't it be at least as good to raise with? A cautious assumption would be that Q9o is not stronger than villains opening range so there isn't much card value in calling. Some value is added from being is position though. Q9o is simply not very playable either. This hand is a good example of that. You tripped up on the turn and still hate seeing villain play back at you.

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Ov3rsight,

Don't defend your blind simply because you're worried about a pattern that you're easy to steal from being established... this thinking is a leak imo and will lead to you making mistakes. You know you're not easy to steal from, so if villains start to think you are, it will lead them into more mistakes when they learn the hard way... and if circumstances bring it to be that you don't defend for several orbits and it seems like they are reacting to this image to attack more, then you'll get more good resteal spots later on, so it's all good. And 2 times in a row is not a pattern imo, it needs to go on more than this for me to think someone in the blinds doesn't defend. On top of all that, at 2nl we can't even assume the villains are paying that close of attention or know what to do with the info if they are.

So on the flop, when he checks to me I think weak aces are in his range, Qx (hands that have showdown value but are not truly strong/can't get called by worse often when c-betting), or the occassional monster slow playing (AQ, 66, AA). While it's possible he check-called a flush draw, I would generally expect him to bet draws as a semi-bluff to rep the ace. And to bet air for the same reason.

Turn check-raise sure looks like a big hand to me, and with you taking the lead on the flop it's how I'd expect him to play one. (Betting the flop is something I would not have done here with Q9, you don't rate to get called by worse hands when you bet, nor will better hands fold, and most of his check-calling range will be beating you. If you are ahead, a free card isn't a disaster as only a K is concerning. Ask yourself why you're betting. You assumed his check meant no ace, so what are you getting called by?)

I think the big hand category is Qx+, not just flushes or boats, but even so most of his Qx hands are beating our kicker anyway, so folding here is fine.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 12:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm definitely checking the flop. You have position and a hand with showdown value. You can get value from worse by waiting till the turn before putting any money in the pot. Putting money in the pot on three streets with second pair, average kicker is not a good idea.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com