Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Folding a flopped flush?

Old
Folding a flopped flush? - Mon Apr 29, 2013, 09:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012

Most of the table was bad.

I ended up being correct, (except making a straight flush), but is this the right play here?

I'm thinking I probably should have called.

Last edited by birdayy; Mon Apr 29, 2013 at 09:35 AM..

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Birdayy,

If the whole table is bad then I'm not a big fan of opening 54s here, we'll generally need to show hands to bad players so I like to start with holdings that make good 1 pair hands when they hit the flop (the most likely way to hit the flop is to make a pair), or play in position with these types of holdings.

As played I think your fold is good. V1 is going to show up with a set or flush virtually all the time unless they're really wild (a really wild player might be out of line with AhQx). You're drawing to 2 outs against non-nut flushes, 1 out against the nuts flush, and are ahead of sets but they still have a fair bit of equity. Over all it's a fold.

Sometimes we think when we are stealing pre and smash the flop to be at the top of our range, we shouldn't fold. Normally, that's true imo. But this action sequence isn't a normal situation. Extraordinary situations can call for such laydowns.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Thanks Dave.

A lot of the table was weak passive and had a high fold to cbet (with the exception of villain 1 who was playing solid), so I was opening a few more hands to get in more hands with the fish.

I think if villain 1 didn't 3b it would be an easy call. Thanks for the response.

Oh, and I guess if i'm ever gonna be results orientated, it's now (straight flush!! )

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com