Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL 6max Zoom #4 - marginal hands OOP

Old
10NL 6max Zoom #4 - marginal hands OOP - Mon Apr 29, 2013, 02:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012

The villain is an unknown but at the time was playing 8 tables of zoom 6max. My question here is very simple. How do we play marginal hands like these OOP?? Can we call the river bet and have him show down a worse hand than our at least 25% of the time to make it a profitable call?

Old
Mon Apr 29, 2013, 07:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
We call preflop with baby pairs to set mine; since it's hard to play those hands OOP then the best plan is to be selective with our set mining and best to x/f if we miss. (unless we have a good read on our opponent and we can turn our hand to a bluff with a x/r) - Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We bet turn with our fullhouse after villain checks flop, and we get called. I'd start ranging him as JJ,TT,99,88,77 or Ax looking to bluff catch. We check river, and he bets slightly less than 1/2 pot (with that sizing I'd discount bluffs from his range) with the 9 on the river It's less likely he has 99.
22,33,55 would check back so he might be thin betting 77/88/JJ. I fold.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Tommy,

I don't think we're good often enough here, we're going to be looking at hands ranging from 77-KQ an awful lot I think they way this played out. I wouldn't mind turning our hand into a bluff to get him off 77/88/TT/JJ, which normally is probably a futile effort but against someone who is 8 tabling zoom it may not be. As played it's a fold imo.

Edit: An industrious line might be to check-raise vs. a known thin value bettor, who will bet JJ for value on the river. Again not normally against a 10nl random but vs. a zoom 8 tabler maybe.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com