Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL - KK on A high flop - Zoom.

Old
5NL - KK on A high flop - Zoom. - Tue Apr 30, 2013, 07:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Only have a few hands on villian. Nothing of note. This was the first hand we were involved in together and the first hand he was involved in while at one of my tables.

Pre-flop and flop pretty much play themselves. I raise and cbet and get calls both times.

I bet again on the turn, in hindsight I think again that I should probably be betting more than I did, but regardless I am min re-raised, and here I elect to call. Should I have shipped the chips at this point given that he is a relative short stack and accept that he might have Arag?

On the river he leads out. I again elect to call with the thought that if I re-raise that I should only get called by better.

I took a very passive line on this one and while I was scared a little of the ace given that he re-raised turn and bet river I kind of feel that I lost value after the hand was over.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 07:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Without reads i'd just fold to the turn raise, as he's usually gonna ship the river, and we can't really call with just Ks.

Although you were right this time, I doubt (even against fish) we should be calling this thin.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 08:43 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Without reads i'd just fold to the turn raise, as he's usually gonna ship the river, and we can't really call with just Ks.

Although you were right this time, I doubt (even against fish) we should be calling this thin.
I think against a proper re-raise or a sizeable river bet I could have folded fairly easily - and I have done in the past.

I find it hard to fold to either of the bits of action on the turn or river.

If I fold to every flop/turn with an ace on it when I hold QQ/KK I will be losing money over the long-haul I am sure.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 08:50 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Question is: What do we achieve by betting flop?
Clearly we will get called by Ax and fold out worse. Maybe we get peeled by a Jx.
I think with position we can check back flop, and call a turn bet/re-asses river to induce a bluff or a thin value bet from Jx or PP.

He's less likely to have KQ/KT since we hold two Kings and we don't need to worry about a QT since its less likely for a K to come on the turn also so there is little chance for our opponent to improve.

As played, I'm folding turn; we already bet flop and turn and now we are getting raised

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 09:13 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Check the flop, check the flop, and don't forget to check the flop!

You're in position here. Unless villain was a known super-station that would always call with worse than 2nd pair (so you'd value-bet Jx for 3 sts on this board), you're basically setting fire to your kings by betting the flop.
When you c-bet here, very few worse hands are calling, and absolutely no better hands are ever folding. So it's a bad value-bet and a bad bluff.
Your hand is often ahead and it has showdown value. Try and get it to showdown cheaply, but checking flop and betting (or calling) turn and river. After checking the flop, villain will think hands like Jx are good, so he will pay you off. He won't pay you off if you've repped the ace by betting the flop.

As played, after betting the flop, you definitely have to check behind on the turn. What are you beating, apart from flush draws and villain's actual hand? When he check-raises, this is an instafold.

Recall the two main reasons to make a bet:
1. To get value when you're called by worse (a value bet).
2. To fold out better hands (a bluff).

If nothing worse is calling, and nothing better is folding, don't make the bet!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 02:04 PM
(#6)
Ok guys, consider your advice taken, I wouldnt have thought this was too much of a leak in my game to be honest so it is good to know that it is.

After reading the analysis I looked through my database to see how many times I cam up agains an A high flop with both KK/QQ. Turns out the two hands I posted today that fit that scenario were the only time that I have been faced with that particular challenge. So, its not totally a shock that I made a less than optimal move, and good to know to correct it before it causes damage.

Thanks.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 03:24 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
After reading the analysis I looked through my database to see how many times I cam up agains an A high flop with both KK/QQ. Turns out the two hands I posted today that fit that scenario were the only time that I have been faced with that particular challenge. So, its not totally a shock that I made a less than optimal move, and good to know to correct it before it causes damage.
I wish I ran that good! Feels like I face it more than twice an hour when I'm playing. lol

I agree on checking back the flop btw, good analysis.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I wish I ran that good! Feels like I face it more than twice an hour when I'm playing. lol

I agree on checking back the flop btw, good analysis.
I'm pretty sure that HEM is playing games with me.

Depends on how I filter for it.

Its actually a considerable amount more - more in line with what would be expected.

Last edited by bhoylegend; Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 11:21 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Yeah, I figured maybe your date filter was set to "today" and not pulling your whole database.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 01:23 AM
(#10)
I had the date range for the whole month - it still only showed yesterday though.

When I removed the filter for A high flop it showed all my KK/QQ hands and I manually looked through to see what the flops were and there were lots more A high flops than the filter showed.

I guess it is a bug or something.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com