Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Suited connectors

Old
Suited connectors - Tue Apr 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
as a newcomer to the game I've been reading up and studying as much as possible. In my limited experience i seem to win my best pots in NL Texas Hold Em when I play with mid level suited connectors especially when in the cut off or on the button. At a FR table if in early position with this sort of hand is it best to limp in and see whether anyone raises/re-raises? if they do should i just fold or still bet to see the flop given the pot odds have improved? Thx for any enlightenment on this!

Swami Andy

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Suited connectors are nice speculative hands, but they play best in late position, especially in multiway pots, where you'll be often priced in to chase draws.
Out of position, these are tricky hands to make money with, and are better off folded. I certainly don't recommend limping these hands in early position.

I've recently posted a couple of blogs on this exact subject (hand selection pre-flop) and will be writing further articles on the types of hands you can call raises with pre-flop, and how best to play "drawing hands" if you see a flop. I'd recommend you have a read, and maybe Subscribe, so you'll get updated by e-mail when the next blog goes up.
Click here: The importance of position when forming your pre-flop strategy.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Suited Connectors - Mon May 06, 2013, 10:41 PM
(#3)
Thx Arty,
Appreciate the advice and enjoyed reading your blog which I've now subscribed to. I got carried out last night on semi suited connectors (KJs) when in the SB position, despite landing a nut flush after the turn. The guy OTB had 4 Aces (I thought he might have a set but didnt think that he had all four)... :'(
Best,

Swami Andy

Old
Suited Connectors again plus a bluff - Sun May 19, 2013, 03:42 AM
(#4)
Last night I played a hand from which I actually won a nice pot but wondered if I'd played it right.
I had KQs in SB and a LAG had raised 3BB UTG. One guy in MP2 called and so did I. The flop came with JT3 with 2 cards being Diamonds (although I was sitting on Spades). I bet 3/4 of the pot, MP2 folded and UTG called (I thought he might have a pair). Another low Diamond came on the turn so I bet the pot (pretending that I had landed the flush). UTG called again. The final card came which was of no help so I'm sitting on K high. I went all in at this point as I felt that from earlier hands he would have read me as a TAG and after several lengthy moments of deliberation he folded. Should i just have folded when my straight didnt come up on the turn or was I playing ok to bluff there? thx for any thoughts....
Swami Andy

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 06:40 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
Seems like you betted well enough throughout the hand to rep the flush but you would be gutted if he called and showed you the flush lol, Im not so keen on suited connectors i play them in late position but ive never connected once.

Most of my winning hands are all in preflop with aces kings sometimes queens and jacks,sets, boats and flushes with like A2s, Ive never got one flush with AKs suited or even AQs there all low aces when the price is right or i steal the blinds on the button and they call.

So ive started using speculative hands as a calling range now if i get two players early position raising and what not il call because if i hit im gonna be getting a stack but when i open like JT and flop a straight the player that just called me has a under pair or some other sort off junk hand thats not paying me off.

Its same again when i go set mining, i made 50c out of set mining yesterday at 2nl because of opening small pairs in mid position or the cut off and get just 1 caller whos got something like KQ and flops his K and i have to fold, thats a waste of 6c imo that soon tots up when you open 30 pocket pairs and you hit your set 3 times and dont get payed for it, So what i did was saw UTG open for 6c and a player called now if i hit my set of pocket 7s i know im getting payed when the board comes KT7 because you can pretty much guarantee the UTG has a king or better still pocket aces so now the other guy calls thinking hes gonna make his straight and i just raise it up and charge them more and hopefully get a stack at least.

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 11:37 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Sawmi Andy, I'd need a pretty good read/stats to fire 3 barrels with king high. I like donking out on the flop with an OESD + 2 overs, and I sometimes would try repping a flush (although I'd make it 65% of pot on the turn at maximum. Betting 65% of pot will have the same effect as full pot; villain calls or folds), but if a villain calls 2 big bets, I'll usually give up, because he has a real hand, and whataver calls the turn is usually calling on blank rivers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Suited Connectors again plus a bluff - Sun May 26, 2013, 01:12 AM
(#7)
mike,
I agree with you. set mining only seems to be worthwhile when in position and with a couple of others in the pot to make it worthwhile for the 1 in 8 times that you hit the set...
Best,

Swami Andy

Old
Suited Connectors again plus a bluff - Sun May 26, 2013, 01:13 AM
(#8)
Thx Arty. keep the blogs coming...really helpful!!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com