Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
I recently joined pokerstars and i would like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 07:57 PM
(#3)
Hi Nganafulwa,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll builder feedback - Wed May 01, 2013, 10:21 AM
(#4)
I watched both videos and completed the poker basics course.After that i played some hands and saved them using the hand replayer
Most of the players at the table were tight and passive
Here is one of my victories:

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 10:38 AM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 11:24 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Nganafulwa!

With QQ in the BB, I get 3 limpers in front of me. I'm going to make a standard raise here, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I'll raise to 6BB or 12 chips. I want to keep all of my bets and raises standard, so that I can conceal the strength of my hand and always keep the opps guessing as to what cards I'm playing.

I flop an overpair to a low board with a possible straight or straight draw. When it checks to me, I'll make a standard value bet. For 3 opps, I'll use 3/4 pot as my bet size (30 chips).

The turn completes a straight for anyone holding a 4 and I'm going to make another value bet here. With only two opps, I'll size my bet at 2/3 pot (107). If I'm called, I'll re-evaluate on the river. If I'm raised, I'll need to muck because the opp should have a flush.

The river gives me a set, but I can be beat by anyone holding 4x. I'm going to make another value bet here, but I'm going to make a thin-value bet, of about 1/3 pot (150 chips). I don't want to make a large bet here, as I'll only be called by a better hand. I want to try to keep the hands that are worse than mine in the pot.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 11:37 AM
(#7)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll builder feedback - Thu May 02, 2013, 05:08 PM
(#8)
I watched the video about bet sizing.Three reasons a player may make a big bet are:
1.To put a lot of pressure on opponents
2.To protect against strong draws and speculative hands
3.To bluff people off decent hands

I studied and passed the cash game quiz,then played at the $0.01/$0.02 real money tables.Here is one of the hands i won

Old
Bankroll builder feedback - Sat May 04, 2013, 01:33 AM
(#9)
Here is another hand i would like you to analyse for me
I tried to play in the style of Doyle Brunson

Old
Bankroll builder feedback - Sat May 04, 2013, 05:15 AM
(#10)
Its been over 24 hours and there is still no response.Did i do something wrong?

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 06:54 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 07:30 AM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Nganafulwa! Sorry for the delay. I'll look at this hand and then a mod will get you on to the next stage of the promotion.

You have A7o in middle position, and there's a limp in front of you. I can't say I've ever seen Doyle Brunson over-limp with a ragged ace. Doyle (or any good player) would either raise or (more likely) fold in this situation. Limping is a weak play that doesn't give you a chance to win the pot immediately. When you just call, you'll have to hit the flop and make the best hand if you want to make money.
A7 is a junk hand that is dominated by all the better aces (A8+) and can't make a straight or flush using both cards. While I'd sometimes raise here to isolate the first limper, because his hand is likely to be even worse than mine, and I'm confident I could outplay him by using my positional advantage, most of the time this hand is going into the muck. There are still several players yet to act and it's likely that at least one has a better hand than mine.
As played, you over-limp and so do two more players, and the BB checks his option, so you see a flop 5-handed. In a multiway pot, you'll need to make a much stronger hand than you would if you were heads up. A7 is unlikely to flop a big hand. Most of the time you'll have ace high on the flop, or one pair, bad kicker.
Here, you're exceptionally lucky. You flop trips with an ace kicker on a two-tone 773 board with a flush draw. You almost certainly have the best hand here. You're only losing to pocket 3s, but can get action from all the overpairs (88+) and flush draws.
The EP villain leads out for 60% of pot. For him to bet into 4 other players, he needs a strong hand. About the worst hand he could have here would be the nut flush draw, but since you have the , he's much more likely to have one pair. It could be anything from AA-88 (with big pairs, he might have limped pre-flop, hoping to use the limp-reraise trick), or hands like 87/76 or the same hand as you.
There's some merit to just calling this bet, because it may encourage other players to also call with weak hands and draws, since the pot will lay good odds, but I'd actually raise right away. I'm not a fan of slowplaying big hands, as it misses value and can lead to tricky spots on later streets when scary cards hit the board. For example, if you call and two other players call and the turn is another spade, you're either losing to a flush, or no one will call your bet because they think you have the flush.
So I'd raise the flop, and I'd make it 3x the size of the first bet, which would be 18c. I want to build a big pot while I'm pretty sure I have the best hand.
As played, you just call and everyone else folds. Unless villain has pocket 3s, you're winning. You can get value from all one pair hands and also flush draws. The on the turn doesn't change much. The only hands that improved are 55 and 64, but neither of these hands would have bet the flop. When villain bets about half pot, I'm confident he has one pair, and I'm definitely raising here. Your 40c bet is perfect, because not only is it likely to be called by 88+, it also means villain will be committed to calling a shove on the river.
That's exactly what happens. Villain only has 28c behind. While it's possible he got there with JJ on the river, he'll have to call with all his underpairs too. I wouldn't be worried about the diamond flush possibility, as this villain would never have bet flop and turn with diamonds. You put villain all in and he calls and shows kings, so you drag a nice pot.

You played this pretty well post-flop, but you got really lucky here. Villain tried trapping pre-flop with KK, but ended up getting trapped himself, because he flopped a big overpair, but you had trips. If he'd raised pre-flop (a much better idea with KK) then you wouldn't even be in the hand! When you have a hand like A7, you'll hardly ever get a situation like this. You won't flop a monster very often, and even when you do, an opponent won't have a hand that is willing to play for stacks. In future, I'd recommend you fold ragged aces pre-flop. Don't be results-oriented and think that, because you doubled up this time, A7 is a good hand. In the long run, no one makes money with this hand. It's an easy fold pre-flop.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 09:44 AM
(#13)
Hi Nganafulwa,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far. Sorry for the delay in providing the next step!

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Sat May 04, 2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old
Bankroll builder feedback - Sat May 04, 2013, 12:21 PM
(#14)
Thank you for the hand analysis and advice. I've almost doubled my money from the last bonus.However there was one troublesome hand in which i lost a lot of chips

Was there a better way to play this hand?

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 12:26 PM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 05:23 PM
(#16)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nganafulwa View Post
Thank you for the hand analysis and advice. I've almost doubled my money from the last bonus.However there was one troublesome hand in which i lost a lot of chips

Was there a better way to play this hand?
Hi Nganafulwa

Q10o is strong enough to open with from late postion. However, I strongly suggest making it a standard 3bb raise rather than 4bb. Making the larger raise just bloats the pot and means that any bets on later streets will be larger than neccessary. The only time this is good is if you have KK or AA and are facing a villain who "always" calls.

You get two callers which is not great. The flop offers a weak straight draw. C-betting is fine since you were the aggressor preflop. However, I strongly suggest folding to the min-raise. Your draw is not strong enough to contiue with. Moreover, min-raises post flop are often a tell of a very strong hand.

Finally, plan ahead. If you intend on check-folding the turn, it would be much better to fold to he raise on he flop. You only have four 9s as good outs and maybe three 3Qs- So, at best about 15% chance of improving on the turn. Save your chips for better situations.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Bankroll builder feedback - Mon May 06, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#17)
I have accumulated more than 10 VPPs.Here is one hand that really helped.We were playing shorthanded and the player to my left seemed like a weak player.I'd like to know,was my call on the turn justified?

Last edited by Nganafulwa; Mon May 06, 2013 at 05:33 PM..

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 06:35 PM
(#18)

VPP check says you still need to work on them. Keep up the good work!

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by HokyPokyToo; Mon May 06, 2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 06:07 AM
(#19)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again Nganafulwa!

You're down to 3-handed on this table. Playing short-handed requires a much different strategy to games played on a full table and can lead to big swings (variance) in your bankroll, because you have to play weaker hands as the blinds come round so often. It's much harder to put villains on a hand when they should be playing a much wider range. Since the basic PSO courses are based on full ring games (in which you can adopt a very tight style and exercise patience), I would recommend that you leave the table once there are two empty seats and add your name to a waiting list for a full table.

With K6s on the button, it's a good spot to try and steal the blinds. You're called by the BB and you get a monster flop. K84 with two diamonds gives you top pair and a flush draw. Villain checks and you check behind. This slowplay is "fancy play syndrome" and it is not advised. You were the pre-flop raiser, so you should be c-betting this flop in position whether you hit it or not. Since you actually hit it, you have even more reason to bet: You can get value from worse. It's bad to slowplay because not only does it miss a street of value, it can also lead to tricky problems on later streets, because you haven't narrowed villain's range. If there's betting on later streets, you don't know if villain is bluffing or has you crushed.
The turn comes a total blank 2s and villain leads out. Since it's unlikely he has a 2, his bet represents a better pair or a draw. Since you have top pair and good draw, you're usually ahead here, and the best play is to just call. Think about what happens when you raise: villain will fold all his worse hands/bluffs and only continue with his monsters. If villain folds, you don't get the value your hand deserves. By making such a large raise (4x is too big, a standard post-flop raise would be 2.5x or 3x the first bet) you'll get "valueowned": No worse hands will call. Only better ones! When you think you have the best hand, but it's only one pair, you should not often be raising. You should make a value-call. Villain puts in the third bet and it's a huge all in shove. At this point, his most likely hands are TPTK, two pairs or a set. He certainly has K6 beat. If we accept that top pair is no good and believe you have to make the flush, then we can look at the pot odds and compare them to the chance of hitting your draw.
Pot Odds
Villain has you well covered, so the shove is only for $1.63 (the amount you had before betting the turn). If you get it in here, the final pot will be 13c + 1.63 + 1.63 = $3.39. The amount you have to call after villain's shove is $1.27. For you to make a profitable call, you have to divide the cost of calling by the final pot size and see if that number is smaller than your winning chances. 127/339 = 37.5%
Hand odds/equity
With a flush draw, you have 9 outs. Using the rule of 4 and 2, we multiply your outs by 2, because you only have one card to come. This means you have about 9 * 2 = 18% chance of winning.

So can we call this shove? No way! You're only going to win 18% of the time, but you have to contribute 37.5% of the pot. This is a losing play.

You sucked out a flush and won a big pot here, but your play on the flop and turn was pretty bad. Slowplaying made this a really tricky spot. If you'd bet the flop, villain would usually just call, or maybe raise small, but with your draw you could call and see if you make a flush. When villain donks the turn, you can call again. Only play a big pot with this hand if/when you make a monster on the river.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Tue May 07, 2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#20)
Hi Nganafulwa,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com