Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

Finally flatted that red line

Old
Finally flatted that red line - Tue Apr 30, 2013, 01:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 03:17 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I think I am allowed to post the link below here as it is 2+2.

If not, then the mods may remove it of course, but I think it is a nice article on why for most people trying to 'flatten the red line' is actually pretty pointless and unrealistic. Not to say it wont work for some.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/78...t-ever-791734/

Filter your database to take out the blind positions. If your red line is still downwards then maybe you have a problem. Think about it though - most of the time in the blinds we are facing action with a pretty poor hand and are folding it. Thus our 'without showdown' line takes a plunge each time.

I filtered mine for this and the red line is very much upwards because I tend not to open poor hands.

Last edited by bhoylegend; Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Added correct link in.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 03:36 PM
(#3)
That was a good read bhoy but he was calling raises in the blinds i am not i just steal them there and then and if there showing weakness im just taking the pot down, im basically playing lag in some spots and the rest im tight, im not gonna call a min raise from a fish with junk.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 03:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
This could just be small sample variance, unless you've altered your game to improve your non-showdown pots. If so, what exactly did you change?

FWIW, I once made profit in the blinds for 3000 hands, and my redline was positive for that sample, and it was basically all down to being dealt aces and kings several times in perfect squeeze situations.

As bhoy says, focussing too much on the redline is pointless and unrealistic. I think you're playing a fair bit of 5NL 6max now, so your redline won't be as "bad" as my full ring 2NL one, but the advice I posted in my Valuetown blog remains pertinent, I think.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#5)
Im not really focusing on it,was just like happy to see it breaking even im just exploiting weakness alot and stealing/restealing i got a few regs trying to steal my blinds and with my steal stat showing there stealing alot i just 3bet if they call and i miss i just go check/fold mode if i hit then were all good but its not very often im getting caught out so its profitable.

FWIW, I once made profit in the blinds for 3000 hands, and my redline was positive for that sample, and it was basically all down to being dealt aces and kings several times in perfect squeeze situations.

I haven't been this lucky yet, im keeping off 5nl for abit anyway im not going on with a small stack and a 5 dollar stack is to big for my roll on those tables because il end up playing weak with my pocket pairs like i did other day so il just wait abit

Last edited by mike2198; Tue Apr 30, 2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 04:01 PM
(#6)
I would like to be able to wipe my stats to see what im playing like now because i reckon im smashing 6bb/100 now.

Old
Tue Apr 30, 2013, 06:08 PM
(#7)
I'm sure Pokertracker has some help files or tutorial videos on the website. You can run all kinds of filters to check your results over a particular number of hands, or a specific limit/game type (eg. 1.50 tourneys, or 5NL zoom), or between two dates.

But I detect a lot of results-oriented thinking in your posts. Looking at the graph (or cashier) too often is a leak. Focus on making good decisions, and the money will look after itself in the long run.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 12:06 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Hey Mike,

I made a blog post a while back about the red line and the micros. It was an attempt to try and describe my understanding of the red line.

If you're interested, it can be found here:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blogs/post/?id=42142

If you feel you are winning at your current micro limit then I wouldn't worry about the red line too much.

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 06:02 AM
(#9)
It won't let me comment on that blog page, Rocker, but I want to say that you explained it all much more succinctly than I could. Nice one!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 07:35 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
That was a good read bhoy but he was calling raises in the blinds i am not i just steal them there and then and if there showing weakness im just taking the pot down, im basically playing lag in some spots and the rest im tight, im not gonna call a min raise from a fish with junk.
It was linked to more for the concept of why red lines are what they are for different people rather than for his analysis on his own line. I think reading through the while thread brings immense knowledge.

At the end of the day the green line is the important one over the course.

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#11)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
It won't let me comment on that blog page, Rocker, but I want to say that you explained it all much more succinctly than I could. Nice one!
Thanks Arty!

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 11:41 AM
(#12)
I cant find the post i saw a month back of a player that was a supernova on stars he had both the green and red lines positive they were along side eachother, he posted a load of his hands and basically 3 betted with anything if someone was representing TPTK he was just raising again and saying i got 2 pair or better, you think about it if you got KQ and you got top pair with a good kicker and cbet the flop then an ace roles out on the turn and you check he knows you more than likely dont have an ACE your basically saying raise me and il fold.

Ive done this to people and they just fold other players wont let go of that king and you get caught but i bet you make more money than you lose and it pays off if you get caught anyway because then you stop bluffing and when you got something they call you down and you win a nice pot.

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 12:57 PM
(#13)
Feel free to make bluffs at 2NL, Mike, in order to get your red line into positive territory, but don't blame me when your overall winnings take a nosedive. Nanostakes profit comes from value-betting, not bluffing. It's really as simple as that.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 01:20 PM
(#14)
No need worry im not gonna be going over the top with bluffing and if i lost about $6 fast i would knock it on the head anyway.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com