Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL1$ MTT: T9s two pair on draw board, bet?

Old
NL1$ MTT: T9s two pair on draw board, bet? - Tue Apr 30, 2013, 06:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013

Early stage of 1$ tourney, so still many passive ops.

No reliable reads on villains, winning villain is 79/4 after 24 hands. My image if they paid attention was rock.

Both villains checked around so I decided to bet turn after flopping 2 pair. But the board had many possible straights, esp. considering ops huge limp range.

Question: was it a good decision to bet?

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 04:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi sluchai22

I would opt to fold the 9 10s from this position. I would however like to play it if we were closer to the dealer button i.e middle or late position.

As played I think betting flop is best, we probably have the best hand and there are worse hands and worse draws that our opponents can call us with.

On the turn I like to check, when we bet what we are doing is we are essentially turning our 2 pair hand into a bluff! Our opponents need just one card for a straight, any 7 or any Q will be good for them.

When we bet the turn we are not getting called by worse hands. The only hands that will be calling us are hands like 7x and Qx. We may once in a blue moon be called by J5 or something but it is very very unlikely.

Again I like to check the river card. Now that our turn bet has been called by two opponents I am pretty certain that we are beaten, we are never getting called by worse hands on the river so for this reason alone I like to check.

I hope this helped. Cheers, Chris.

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 05:54 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi sluchai22,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!
Good luck at the tables!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com