Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE Free Roll Tournament

Old
NLHE Free Roll Tournament - Wed May 01, 2013, 08:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,

I'm a new player and I've recently started to try to take my game up a notch.
I'd appreciate advice on the way I've played/should have played this hand.

p.s
I'm not sure I've added the hand replayer correctly so I've added a link as well - just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,
Michael

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=B70BE95BD2

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 10:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Zevinar1!

Welcome to the forum!

I'll assume that this is from a standard freeroll and not a league game (league games have totally different strategies compared to any other tourney).

With KQo from mid position, I get a limp in front of me. If I'm going to play the hand, then I need to make a standard raise, which for me at this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. Due to this, I'd normally raise to 3.5BB or 1050. However, this bet would almost pot-commit me, as I'm pot-committed if I put 1/3 of my stack into the pot. Being close to being pot-committed, it really turns this into a shove/fold preflop. If I'm going to play the hand, I need to shove to maximize my fold equity and also to not let an opp that would call a smaller bet see a card on the flop that could beat me, without paying the maximum to do so.

If I did see the flop that totally misses me, when the opp leads into me, I absolutely need to fold here as I'm not getting the correct odds to call. I'd have to put 300 into a pot that will be 2175 (13.8%). IF a K or Q would win the hand for me, I have 6 outs and from the rule of 4 and 2, each out is worth 2% equity to the turn. 6 outs is therefore worth 12%. Since the pot equity (13.8%) is higher than what my hand is worth (12%), I need to fold.

I want to be putting chips into the pot when I'm ahead, not when I'm behind OR I can call a bet IF my hand equity is worth more than the pot equity. When my hand equity is higher, I expect to gain chips on average by calling. When the pot equity is higher, I expect to LOSE chips on average by calling.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 11:25 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick and replay!
I still have some open questions:

I'm not completely clear regarding your comment in the first part on preflop shove, do you mean that since 3.5 BB raise will likely turn into fold / shove situation it would be better to shove rather than raise 3.5 BB and thus improve villain chance of folding ?

I didn't quite understand of you think that paying this hand (considering position and stack size) is the right call at this situation, do you think a preflop fold would be a better option ?

Regarding pot size I didn't quite follow your calculation, with 3.5 BB raise I'm getting to a pot of 3375 (225 ante + 150 SM + 300BB + 300 Limp + 1350 My Call And Raise + 1050 villain Call + 300 villain raise post flop) which with this pot Odds are better for me.

Thanks Michael

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com