Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL Zoom turn raise

Old
2NL Zoom turn raise - Wed May 01, 2013, 09:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Don't have any stats on villain, as i don't use HUD(i hear someone saying that i'm from stone age but i spose ill buy it when i move up the limits).
So the question is whether i am losing any value here, obviously i am raising because i dont want to see another heart or king, however, it would be hard to get called by worse.
Could it also be that this raise might seem as bluff?

Thanks!

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I don't think you should be playing AT in this situation. There was a raise in early position, signifying a strong hand. I'd expect villain to have 99+, AQs+ and AK. ATo is crushed by that range, so it's a very easy fold pre. On zoom, players tend to be even tighter, so AT is in even worse shape.

As played you call and flop middle pair, top kicker. Villain might be c-betting with AQ or QQ-JJ, but it's pretty thin to call here. If villain barrels, his most likely hands are AK, AA, KK and TT. The ten on the turn means he can't have a set of tens (or quads), but KK/AA/AK are still in the pot. You might get called by AK/AA when you raise the turn, but it's pretty clear you have trips or better. I don't think just calling is good though. I'd raise like you did, to try and get paid by villain's one pair hands, and I'd be very pleased that I hit a 2-outer, because most of the time, you're going to get taken to valuetown by this player.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I don't think you should be playing AT in this situation. There was a raise in early position, signifying a strong hand. I'd expect villain to have 99+, AQs+ and AK. ATo is crushed by that range, so it's a very easy fold pre. On zoom, players tend to be even tighter, so AT is in even worse shape.

As played you call and flop middle pair, top kicker. Villain might be c-betting with AQ or QQ-JJ, but it's pretty thin to call here. If villain barrels, his most likely hands are AK, AA, KK and TT. The ten on the turn means he can't have a set of tens (or quads), but KK/AA/AK are still in the pot. You might get called by AK/AA when you raise the turn, but it's pretty clear you have trips or better. I don't think just calling is good though. I'd raise like you did, to try and get paid by villain's one pair hands, and I'd be very pleased that I hit a 2-outer, because most of the time, you're going to get taken to valuetown by this player.
Yes, i know that call is rather loose and i am crushed by his range, then again its 2NL and people tend to raise with weaker holdings, though i agree its early position raise, and i probably shouldnt play this hand.
Obviously, if i dont hit ten, i fold OTT, played as calling station and got lucky

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com