Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Wed May 01, 2013, 09:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hello!
i'm new member. I want to take part in this promotion

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 03:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 06:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello phammydung,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 10:42 PM
(#4)

Should I Call?

I passed the Poker Basic course

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 10:52 PM
(#5)

Can I do another?

Old
Thu May 02, 2013, 02:11 PM
(#6)
Thanks for that, we'll have the hand analysis done shortly (posting two hands is fine, and sufficient thanks), then I'll give you your next steps

Old
Fri May 03, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi phammydung! I'll take a look at these two hands.

1. You have QTs in EP, facing a limp. Although this is a pretty hand that can flop very nice draws, QT usually just makes one pair, average kicker. It's a playable hand in late position, especially in a multiway pot, where you'll have a good price to chase a draw, but in this seat, it's best to fold. When there's all that action behind you after you limped in, it's a very clear fold, because your opponents are representing that they have monster hands like QQ+ and AK. For more on the hands that are playable in early position, see my blog.

2. A6 is another weak hand that I'd only play in late position. It's just about OK to call with if your opponents are weak, but you'll lose a lot of money with this hand on real money tables, because there are so many better aces, meaning you have kicker trouble. On this hand, you make top pair, but you can't feel good about your kicker. You can obviously call the 2 chips that villain 5 bets on the flop, because this minbet is a tiny fraction of the pot-size. I'd actually make a small raise to 8 or 10 chips to try and get heads up in position against the minbettor. Another player raises and you call.
On the turn you make two pairs. While your hand is far from the nuts, it's probably best now, and you can get value from worse. There's also a flush draw out there. When villain 5 minbets, you put in a good sized raise, and both players call.
The river is a terrible card. It completes a flush draw, as well as gives A8 a better two pair. I'd be more cautious here. With two players in the pot, a flush seems quite likely. It's quite hard to get called by worse if you make a big bet on this river. You go ahead and bet, and villain 7 makes a terrible call with just a pair of kings. You got a great result here, but when you play real money games, a villain will show up with much better.

Good luck with the next stage of the promotion!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 03, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#8)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
All in. That's right? - Fri May 03, 2013, 09:48 PM
(#9)

Is that right?

Last edited by phammydung; Fri May 03, 2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 07:51 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again phammydung!

You have 99 in late position and there was a minraise by the player UTG. How I play this hand depends on my read of the player. If he's loose and aggressive, then his minraise can be a fairly weak speculative hand like a suited connector or small pair, so I'd often raise for value and to make it more likely I'll be heads up in position against him. If he's usually more passive, then this minraise can be a tell of a very strong hand, like AA or KK. Against monsters, it's far better to call and go set-mining for a very cheap price.
As played, you re-raise (3-bet) to 12c, which is good size, and villain calls. The flop comes 843 with a flush draw, so you have the worst overpair. Betting for value and protection is good, but ask yourself which hands will call. Villain will call with flush draws, but I'd be more concerned about pocket pairs. It's fine if he decides to peel one off with a hand like 55, but his range also includes TT+ and sets. Because your bet was close to pot-sized, I think villain is going to have a pretty strong hand here most of the time when he calls. The turn is a blank looking 2h. Villain again checks to you. At this point, I think we're in a "way ahead or way behind" spot. If villain is super weak, he's not calling a big bet, but if he's super strong (with a set or overpair) he'll be willing to stack off. Since it's a WA/WB spot, I'd go for pot control, and either bet small (about half pot) or check behind.
You decided to shove all in with a big overbet. This is a massive mistake, because it means you get value-owned. If you have the best hand, then villain is never calling this big bet. He's only calling with hands that beat you. When you're betting for value, you should choose a size that gets called by worse. That's how you get value. If your bet is not going to get called by worse, then don't make the bet! (Or at least don't make it so big).
It's very important you learn how to value-bet effectively. Try and put your opponents on ranges of hands. If you're pretty sure your hand is beating their range and can get value, then keep betting. If your hand is not in great shape against their range, or you're not sure if you're ahead or behind, then exercise some pot control and check. Only go all in if you have a hand that is close to the nuts. 99 on 8432 is an overpair, but it's far from the nuts. A villain is snap-calling your shove with TT or a set here.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 01:45 AM
(#11)

Should I Call or reraise or fold?

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 05:35 AM
(#12)
Hi again phammydung,

We'll have the hand analysis posted here within 24 hrs. To receive your 2nd bonus you just need to advise me when you have completed these two tasks:

2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

If you have any queries we're here for you

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 11:49 AM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by phammydung View Post

Should I Call or reraise or fold?
Hi phammydung!

This is a tricky spot with JJ. A read on the villain would help a ton! Normally decent players open from utg with strong hands only such as 1010, JJ, QQ, KK AA AK, and AQ. You are ahead of a few of these hands. However, a big problem with JJ is that overcards usually come on the flop. This makes for difficult postflop play unless you hit your set.

In spots like this you need a good plan for the hand. I would normally 3-bet prefop and fold to a 4-bet preflop. As played, the Q is a scare card and there are draw possibilities on the board. You may be ahead now. So, I would raise the flop and hopefully win the hand. Any spade, K or A on future streets is going to make play difficult for you.

Many villains will c-bet missed flops, some will fire a second barrel on the turn. Not many fire a third barrel on the river with nothing but high card. I think calling every street as you did is dangerous with a hand like JJ. I think you will do better raising an earlier street in the future. Or, if you are unsure if you are ahead, folding on the turn. You may win a smaller pot by doing this, but calling every street is taking a large, unnecessary risk. Nice pot here, but I think this line will cost you money in the long run.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Last edited by Roland GTX; Wed May 08, 2013 at 11:53 AM..

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 02:27 PM
(#14)
I hope you find the hand analysis valuable. One thing though, we noticed that it was a $0.02/0.05 game. Under the terms of the Bankroll Builder, if you play anything other than full ring (9-player) $0.01/0.02 NL cash games with your Bankroll Builder bonus money you could disqualify yourself from any further bonuses. We'll let it go this time but please bear that in mind from now on please.

All the best at the tables

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 07:48 PM
(#15)
Thanks for all. I'll play $0.01/$0.02 NL.

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 09:34 PM
(#16)
Answer question:
3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet:
- to put a lot of presure on opponents
- to gaine value from very strong hands
- to protect against strong draws

I passed cash game quiz

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 08:14 AM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phammydung View Post

I passed cash game quiz
Congratulations!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com