Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

C betting

Old
C betting - Wed May 01, 2013, 01:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Should i be c betting open ended straight draws on the flop? i never bet a draw in position or out unless i got both a oesd and a flush draw, i never hit oesd very often so i never bother to bet its funny actually because im more likey to bet with nothing if it get checked back to me in position i geuss im scared of a raise and missing out on hitting a straight

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 01:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
If I'm heads up, I'm nearly always c-bet betting top pair or any draw. There has to be a specific reason for me not to c-bet, because c-betting is generally very profitable.

Please watch Dave's archived video or come to some live training sessions sometime. C-betting is such an important part of the game, that's it essential you understand why you're doing it, and when you should do it.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Wed May 01, 2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 01:34 PM
(#3)
Yh ive watched daves c betting vid i think my c betting is about average after watching it im definitely to aggro in alot of situations probably missing a tonne of value.

Think il start betting OESD then as for gut shots though there just junk in my book

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#4)
what do you make of a player with 47% flop cbet and 83% turn cbet

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 02:28 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
what do you make of a player with 47% flop cbet and 83% turn cbet
They don't c-bet the flop as the preflop raiser unless they've got something, mostly. Not c-betting air in other words. Once they do contest the pot with a c-bet, they follow through on the turn consistently (not a surprise if they've got something).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 02:57 PM
(#6)
oh right cheers.

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 03:53 PM
(#7)
I would love to play against someone that's 47/83 for c-bet flop and turn. It's really easy to know where you are with guys like that. It's the 75/55 guys that make life hard.

Bear in mind that these stats need several samples before you can trust them. I generally like the stats to be based on 10 c-betting opportunities, and that might take 100+ hands in total.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 04:24 PM
(#8)
i got 700 hands on him we always bump into each other the funny thing is we ha vent haven't really won a cent of each other, why is 75 50 hard? thats looking like mine, i normally only cbet the turn with a good hand, i dont always turn bet with tptk either, depends on the board.

Old
Wed May 01, 2013, 04:36 PM
(#9)
It's great if you're running 75/50 for barrelling, because if you're betting the turn 50% of the time, then it's hard to know how strong you are. An opponent won't know if you're betting for value or as a semi-bluff, or if you're checking for pot-control, or because you have air. Floating vs you would be risky, because you'll be betting the turn half the time. I don't really want to call on the flop when the likelihood of you checking the turn is a 50/50 proposition. I'd float someone who played 75/30, though, because it's much more likely they will check the turn.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 02, 2013, 11:54 AM
(#10)
Oh right makes sense i was just reading up on cbetting and apparently if you flop a good hand on a wet board you should bet big because if you get called, they will call half pot or near enough full pot so if i had KK on a flop of Kh 9h Qd i should bet big because if they hit a flush draw or a straight draw there gonna call atleast 1 street and normally i bet like 55% pot regardless of the strengh of my hand on the flop, only time i bet 85% in to a pot bet is when i flop a set with maybe pocket 7s and theres only 10c in the pot so i bet like 8c but if the pot was like 30c on the flop with the 1st hand i mentioned i would bet about 16c, i think i shall start betting a 3rd of pot on a hit dry board and around 2 3rds on a wet board regardless of the strengh of my hand i dont want people reading my hand.

I think if i bet 1 3rd of the pot on a dry board vs a lag he would 3bet me reading it as a weak bet like they do so i can just re raise and take the pot down i might even call and see if they fire again if i have position.

Old
Thu May 02, 2013, 04:05 PM
(#11)
JWK24 wrote a great blog about bet-sizing HERE.

But, yes, you should vary your sizing depending on how wet the board is and also how many opponents are in the pot. If a villain is on a draw, you should bet the most you think he will call, so that he's not getting a good price and is - in fact - making a mistake by calling without the right odds to do so. Remember also that if villain is on a draw and it misses, he won't call any bet on the river, so you have to get your value on the flop and turn.

In cash games, I'd never bet less than 1/3 of pot on the flop or turn. That size serves no purpose, other than it makes you look like a fish. Always bet at least half pot on flop and turn. You can make a smaller bet 1/3 of pot on the river if you believe villain is very weak, but will make a crying call.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 02, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#12)
Good read the half pot bet heads up seems abit low as for the rest it sounds spot on

Old
Thu May 02, 2013, 05:13 PM
(#13)
I forgot to say that JWK is primarily a tourney player, where bet sizes are typically a bit smaller, because of the shallower stacks.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com