Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

AK open league

Old
AK open league - Sat May 04, 2013, 06:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

Should i be shoving here?

I was thinking of min raising but i knew if i missed that big stack was gona just shove my tiny stack all in with ATC if i checked the flop, so i just shoved it all in i was card dead all game the best hand i got was AJ utg which i wasnt going to open i saw pretty much every hand going to showdown and all the hands i would of won would of been with trash hands like J4 in mid position.

I guess my question is should i be min raising my AK there and folding a shove pre by a big stack or folding that flop had i missed after min raising or was it the right play to just get all in, even if i decided to blind out all game i was probably gonna do another 200 places at best.

Last edited by mike2198; Sat May 04, 2013 at 07:42 AM..

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 06:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
In a regular tourney, this would be an obvi-shove with your 7bb stack, but league games are different.

JWK24 is the league expert, but he's away at the moment. I think he'd say the best play is to overlimp and see a flop, because in league games you should never put a lot of chips in the pot without a strong made hand. If you hit top pair, then you can go all in, but if you miss you should check-fold. When you limp, I think the guy with TT is probably shoving anyway, and it would be best to time-bank fold to the shove. As you say, getting out of the way here and blinding out will enable you to ladder up a couple of hundred places.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 07:40 AM
(#3)
ok Arty cheers il have to fold here then in future its really hard to fold though when you've been card dead all game i was just thinking though would i be better blinding out and going up 200 odd places or if i were to play this exact same hand in the same situation 5 times would i be more likely to be in a higher position if i doubled up 3 times and lost 2 times im not to sure.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 07:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mike2198!

If this were a cash game, it'd be an easy shove for me.... BUT... this is a league game, so the strategy for it needs to be totally different.

Because of this being a league game, especially since I'm not ITM yet, I need to be cautious here and limp behind. My plan for the hand will be to fold to any sizable raise preflop and to play fit/fold on the flop. If I hit the flop, then I can bet. If I miss, I need to fold to any bet.

In league games, I can never take chances, especially when I'm in negative point territory for the game.

I'm not going all-in unless I know I'll have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board... this means that if I flop a pair, I do not want to be all-in if there are any possible draws out there, which I won't know until later in the hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 07:39 PM
(#5)
Do you open raise for a min raise in the later stages? or is your standard still 3x

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 08:04 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Do you open raise for a min raise in the later stages? or is your standard still 3x
Hi Mike!

Here are the raises I used in every game... league, cash tourney, freeroll, satty... all tourneys.

I start at 3BB+1BB for each limper and stay there until 100/200 blinds. I then lower it to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. Then my last drop is at 1k/2k, where I lower it to 2.2BB+1BB for each limper.

The only way you'll ever see me min-raise is by a mis-click.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 12:11 PM
(#7)
Cool il set this up now was just watching a vid and they was saying good players see raising 3x pre in late stages as a sign of a bad player, good job i was min raising then il try 2.2 out though now cheers.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com