Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

need help

Old
need help - Sun Nov 24, 2002, 05:49 AM
(#1)
Deleted user
I just joined the school and i am very interested. I am new to hold'em and serious poker. Can someone explain or direct me to information on calculating odds and how to implement them in a hand of poker. My math really stinks by the way :?

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2002, 06:49 AM
(#2)
Deleted user
Poombah, I highly recommend Mike Petriv's Hold'em's odds book. This is all the math you will need for Hold'em. Meanwhile, the internet has great sites to explore too. Try this link for starters: http://www.pokerportal.co.uk/, plus http://prock.freeshell.org/http://prock.freeshell.org/ and of course this forum.

I look forward to playing with you, Den

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2002, 07:05 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
THanks for the links, and i will get the book.
I need all the help I can get....lol

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2002, 10:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles
KK v AQs is just over around 2-to-1. Over 5-to-2 if not suited. These odds apply to any pp against 1 overcard. The odds are also very similar for any matchup where someone has a higher kicker, such as AKv AQ or KJ v K2.

KK v K5o is a huge fav.

Got the table below from Sklansky and Barbara Yoon so I assume they are accurate. I've still not got around to reading this lol. Maybe next year.

I haven't bothered reading it as most odds and situations are pretty similar. For example, just assuming 2 high card hands that do not dominate each other are around a 3-to-2 matchup. It won't be far wrong. For example AK v 56, AK v T5 etc. All about the same 3-to-2 matchup.

Most matchups fall within the ballpark of the following group of 6 odds. Evens, 3-to-2, 2-to-1, 5-to-2, 4-to-1, around 10-to-1 or more.

1. Pair versus pair...about...4 1/2-to-1...

2. Pair versus two overcards...about even money.

3. Pair versus one overcard and one undercard...about...2 1/2-to-1...

4. Pair versus two undercards...typically more than...5-to-1...

5. Pair versus one overcard and one of the pair cards...about...2 1/3-to-1...

6. Pair versus one undercard and one of the pair cards...10-to-1 or more...

7. First and second highest versus third and fourth...usually about...9-to-5...

8. First and fourth highest versus second and third...usually below 7-to-5.

9. First and third highest versus second and fourth...about 8-to-5.

10. First and second highest versus duplicate of first plus third highest -- Example...K-Q versus K-J. ...usually slightly below 3-to-1.

11. First and second highest versus duplicate of second plus third highest -- Example: K-Q versus Q-J. ...usually between 2 3/4-to-1 and 3-to-1.

12 First and 3rd vs 2nd and 3rd. Ex: A-J vs K-J. The odds for match-ups in this 'category' can vary from just slightly better than a toss-up for like 4s-2h versus 3d-2d, up to as much as 3.42-to-1 for like As-2s versus Kh-2d.
Precise odds are not necessary. The post above from Noodles contains most of the revelant information on pre-flop odds against vs hands. The tables in the reference section provides additional information to complete the essentials.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com