Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

TarekGG Open Skill League

Old
TarekGG Open Skill League - Sat May 04, 2013, 07:19 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
I'm going to play Open Skill League this month, and hopefully I can put in enough volume/games to make the 1st place, which is all that matters for me. I've played this league before and I made FT last time I tried to qualify to Premier Skill League, but I didn't play enough games to being able to take a shot at big money. But hopefully I will this month, considering I've lost a big part of my bankroll, and I could use the boost. See you below me at the leaderboard.

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 08:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
Best of luck to you this month in the OSL!

CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 08:13 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
Oh its ON tarek that top spot has my name on it

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 08:37 AM
(#4)
Thanks guys. Dr are you playing for 2nd this month? :P

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 09:09 AM
(#5)
Out of my first tournament, all in on the flop AA vs QQ river Q, that's the spirit!

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 09:10 AM
(#6)
We will see its only my first month already had a ft and top 100 so your on catch up

How come you not been on the hunters table? Get yourself on sometime

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 10:00 AM
(#7)
Busybusy, I'll get on when I have time. Nice results you've gotten.

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 01:36 PM
(#8)
Last tournament QQ vs AA vs 66 vs K3 vs QJ. Big pot in the beginning, but clearly I was waaay behind.

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 06:44 PM
(#9)
Finished 604th place, lost flip KQ vs 88, against his range I was flipping, and with money already invested I felt like calling there to sustain 10BBs+ lose or climb up to 20BBs. I don't really know how the point system works, if it's any significant difference between 36th place or 600th place. But whatever, give me a few days and I know.

Had a failed iso from BTN where I shove 14bbs to the initial raiser who is a big stack attempting to steal. Not only does the big blind come along and shows up with aces, but the big stack calls with K6s. So the big stack and me cover the BB so I am left with 9bbs. If the BB doesn't wake up with aces and folds, and the big stack still calls I would've had 15k around average and 30bbs, would've given me a greater advantage.

Old
Sat May 04, 2013, 07:07 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarekGG View Post
I don't really know how the point system works, if it's any significant difference between 36th place or 600th place. But whatever, give me a few days and I know.
Yes, there's a big points difference between those two places. But I think you usually increase your points total if you're in the top 1400 or so.

If you click your points total on the leaderboard (which hasn't updated since you busted the latest one just yet), you'll find out how many points you gained or lost in each tourney.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 01:03 AM
(#11)
Thanks =) I remember ITM and FT wasn't that big of a difference, much bigger in Premier Skill League.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 03:26 AM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2013
It's definitely got diminishing returns once you go past 400. Especially when you factor in the time it takes to play those later stage hands.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 04:51 AM
(#13)
EvokeNZ ye that's what I seem to remember, but obviously it depends on the rating.

Just finished 41st place, and I'm really annoyed the hand before I go out I lead out on a draw heavy board with 42 from blinds(had nice odds), flop is J32 anyway, I pick up open-ended turn, but doesnt get there. The other guy kept calling with A2, so that means I can't really outplay people. Had one 3bet bluff, but that was all. And I went out after 3bet shoving 23bbs 99, and KQ called, wtf. I'm just surprised over the fact that the skill didn't increaser deeper in the tournament. So I wont shove for fold equity from now on, since it's basically non-existence, so instead of 99 being e.g against KQ 50% + FE on 30% or something it's basically only a flip. So I'm really surprised to see KQ calling, but I remember first time I was playing that league, I guess I would do the same call. So I'd rather just call and either vbet post or fold, since outplaying isn't really and option.

However, I'm not really certain how big the difference between 1st and 41st really is, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 04:54 AM
(#14)
I was out 45th, my best finish to date. One guy won with KK in a hand I wasn't involved in, then next hand I had TT, so I raised. He shipped me so I called. He had AA, lucky guy two hands in a row. He also made an A on the flop, so the T on the river didn't help me.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 04:57 AM
(#15)
Haha, that stings mate. But atleast we had deep runs, doesn't really matter if we get 1st or not, since it's volume and a lot of deep runs that counts. Are you going to play this one that starts in 3minutes?

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 05:12 AM
(#16)
Ops out of the next one already, decided to shove AJo with 1limper to pick up blinds, but BB woke up with JJ behind me. Whatever, next one.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 05:19 AM
(#17)
yeh i'm playing. I can only play 40-50 of these a month, so definitely can't win on volume alone.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 09:01 AM
(#18)
It's impossible to win by only playing 40-50, sadly. Unless, of course you play and get as deep as you did the time we played together =)

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 01:38 AM
(#19)
I'm trying to accumulate chips fast for deep runs, I normally don't open as wide as I did this tournament, but it's extremely legit how I did it. I busted after like 20minutes, and listen to how it was done. I'm not complaining about bad luck or anything, I'm just illustrating how many profitable situations there are in these freerolls.

Sometimes you need to balance stuff, if you think you will always be 70/30 with your hand, you will in the long run win more than you lose, of course. But if it's the first hand of the tournament it's better to insta muck it since you will lose more points than you will gain by getting only 1500 more chips, imo. So if you want to think ahead you shouldn't stack off early with 70/30 since it will only ruin your score more than it will fix it.

But I ignored this and tried using the three profitable situations I found myself in.

1st hand I play: there are two guys who has confronted each other twice; one guy plays ATC, the other guy tilts. So I wake up with AJs both guys shove so I call and gamble, eventhough I know I'm infront, I win and collect chips.

2nd hand, I limp 99 to setmine, since it's extremely profitable. Flop is 843 rainbow, now this is where I play smart. With the odds on my side I just overshove the pot 3k into 300 pot. Because if everybody folds I pick up 300, which is enough for me, and if any two over cards call I am 75/25 favourite. Of course somebody might have 1 over + pair, or two pairs or set, but I didn't think that was the issue in this case. So I sort of gamble here again. And if somebody has str8 draw it's 70/30 so it's very profitable for me to do that. And by me overshoving the I give reverse odds to my opponents and they are already losing money in the long run. I get two callers A4 and AQs, the turn is another 9, but AQ picks up flush draw and hits it on the river, runner runner. I lost some chips here.

3rd hand, right after losing set to flush I get AQ, and a guy with 20k chips insta shoves and I'm in the BB. Having 20k already means that this guy has just shoved every hand he has seen and I know that I can now double up to 4k, and I am a bit tilty after the other hand, so I decide to call. AGAIN the correct decision my AQ is up against his Q3 flop Q3. So I lost the tournament.

This is why you dont want to stack off early because you need luck, or they need luck, which was the case in all my hands. The only problem is that I'm not shoving my hands all in preflop or OOP, I'm in blinds/LP. Or as I was with 99 post flop, this means that my odds for winning is REALLY BIG compared to people willingly stacking off too wide in these freerolls. However this tactic might not be the correct one to win Open Skill League, just figured I'd share my thoughts, so you guys could see that you don't always need to time bank and only play QQ+ AK+ because if you don't get any hands you will be stuck on the rating breakingeven(depnding on your rating). But if you start recognizing spots where you can profitably make money, and in the long run make more deep runs = MORE PTS, THAN DO IT. But you need to be picking the 70/30 or the 94/6(AA vs Ax) later rather than early.

tl;dr you should read, good reflection

Last edited by TarekGG; Mon May 06, 2013 at 01:41 AM..

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 06:12 AM
(#20)
You make good points tarek and it is a game that I am not used to playing strategy wise. I'm used to to playing aggressive and like yesterday if I think a big stack like you say is just shoving every hand they play to build a stack early I'm going to call with strong hands like I did yesterday I had AQs I made a small raise and big stack shoves obviously very light so I call he turned over J3h I hit my Q but 2 hearts on the flop and obviously the 3rd heart come on the turn and I busted early.

So we have pretty much forget our normal game at least for the early part of the tournament when the blinds don't mean much and just survive and avoid the lunatic big stack that just wants to beats on people.

I was reading some advice from JWK the forum league expert and he says it's best to limp(which I hate by the way) and see all 5 cards as cheap as possible and only get your stack in if you know you have the best hand at the river which I think will take some getting used to.

I have been wondering if the premier league plays as crazy as it might be better just to play the qualifier league but I'm not one for quitting but I do need to remember to reg for the league I keep forgetting to reg need to set an alarm or something.

Anyhow good luck tarek hope we both do well

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com