Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AA

Old
AA - Sat May 04, 2013, 07:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

Do you think i should bet the river or was i right in checking, got no stats on villain, he did seem like he wanted to get to showdown but i dont know if he was a trappy player

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 06:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Does it get any worse for AA?
I think if we bet the turn we should bet the river because nothing really changed OTR with the 9 since our concern is a Q and which had already made a straight OTT which he did not raise and did not lead the river for value. In which case makes me think we are up against a 2p hand that is also trying to keep the pot small.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
On such a connected board, you should bet more on the flop. Define your hand and get value from worse. This sort of board smashes a BB's pre-flop calling range. Ask yourself "What does he have that calls on the flop?"
When he calls on the flop, his range is heavily weighted to two pairs and pair+gutshot draws. If he had a set or straight, I think he'd donk or check-raise the flop. So I'd put him on AK, AJ, AJ, KQ, QT etc.

That turn card is pretty horrible. Any queen has you crushed. What worse hands are calling on the turn when you bet there? AK and AJ are probably the only hands you can get value from, because worse aces and kings are clearly losing to whatever you're betting on such a scary board.
I'd check the turn (pot control) for sure, because you'll get value-owned when villain has a Q and raises. He could price you out of trying to hit one of your 10 outs. Since you can still boat up on the river, you can check behind on the turn for a free card.
If villain bets half pot or less on the river, I'd call. If he checks, then I'd go for value, expecting all two pair hands to call. (They are more likely to look you up when you've said "I don't have a queen" by checking the turn).

But since you bet the turn, I think you have to check the river. It's pretty thin to bet here hoping that villain has a set or AK. Most of the time, if you fire a third barrel, he'll fold the weaker hands in his range, or raise - repping Broadway - forcing you to either pay him off or make a reluctant fold without even seeing a showdown.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun May 05, 2013 at 06:30 AM..

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 06:52 AM
(#4)
Yeah that makes sense to check the river i was scared of a straight since the flop which was why my bets were so little i think that higher straight that beat me earlier was having some effect on my bets here, yh i think in future i need to take the line you just said.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 06:57 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
Does it get any worse for AA?
I think if we bet the turn we should bet the river because nothing really changed OTR with the 9 since our concern is a Q and which had already made a straight OTT which he did not raise and did not lead the river for value. In which case makes me think we are up against a 2p hand that is also trying to keep the pot small.

Thats true but i didnt want to bet and get raised for the sake of an extra 40c if i was lucky enough for him to call i think artys right i should of checked the turn and if he checked back again just bet the river, its one of those hands you want to get all in with but that damn straight kills your action

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 06:59 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Playing scared is a losing play. When there are straight draws out there, make BIGGER bets, not smaller ones. Small bets will price villains in, so then you'll get sucked out on even more often. If villain has a worse hand or draw, you want him to make a mistake. If you charge him extra, then it's a big mistake. Big mistakes by your opponents means more profit for you.

When the obvious draw comes in, don't pay off the villain. Try and get to showdown as cheaply as possible (by checking in position).

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 09:30 AM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Thats true but i didnt want to bet and get raised for the sake of an extra 40c
That's what I was trying to say, the river was the wrong street to check. The turn is where you have to check behind since the Q makes the straight OTT and most rivers won't change anything unless you fill up.
If you were going to be scared, then the turn is where you should start worrying

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 01:28 PM
(#8)
Yh normally i check the turn i dunno what i was thinking, i completely messed that hand up.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com