Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-Max - Bluff Catching vs Loose Passive

Old
2NL 6-Max - Bluff Catching vs Loose Passive - Sat May 04, 2013, 10:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey guys.

Looking back idk why I raised 13c, I would usually do 11c for 2 limpers when OOP.

C-bet 2/3 pot OTF and 1/2 pot for value on the turn. Now I'm at the point where only better hands would call a bet.

Throughout the hand I was putting him on a good flush draw, Ax Kx, or a made 1 pair hand like Jx. I would expect a made non monster hand to check behind, a made flush would probably raise me OTT which would have given me an easy exit but otherwise probably bet for thin value OTR.

When he shoves I literally snap called. A small or medium sized bet would have made me a little worried but I wouldn't fold at this point. The shove means he knows he cant win if he checks behind and doesn't want to give up the pot - as such he shows 88sh .

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I only needed to be correct 50% of the time.

Last edited by Low Rated; Sat May 04, 2013 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Addition ~

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 05:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Well played, good thought process as well for a NL2 Player imo, think you are gonna move up soon if you keep on thinking through hands like this.

Think a made J high or lower flush would have raised you on the flop already most the time, since it wants to protect and get value from high flush draws like the one you have. Giving that sets and most flushes should raise you on the flop his value range for raising the turn would have been very small, i can actually only think of KJ that would really made sense. But he should not bluff raise or semibluff many combinations on the turn as well, think only QT with the T of Spades would make sense to semibluff. But I think some weaker player as I assume the NL 2 villain is, might bluff raise here with some Kx or Ax with the K or A of Spades on the turn, so I wouldnt instant fold vs a turn raise but its close imo.

On the River you described your options well, I would lean towards valuebetting about half pot to get value from pairs but it is not a bad spot to bluff catch either. Was a bit surprised to see villain turn his third pair into a bluff on the river though, dont think that is to common on NL2.

Edit: Just read the title if he is passive postflop than valuebetting the river becomes the favourite play imo.

Last edited by almigthybald; Sun May 05, 2013 at 05:51 AM..

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 06:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by almigthybald View Post
Edit: Just read the title if he is passive postflop than valuebetting the river becomes the favourite play imo.

b/f river for me; If I think he is passive, I'm looking to fold when he raises us at any point in the hand. Looks like he's not that passive after all.

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 08:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I'd bet-fold the river. Loose-passives typically aren't capable of turning hands with marginal showdown value into bluffs.

If you do decide to check the river to induce a bluff, it's because you know villain is capable of bluffing. In that case, checking to induce and then snapping off the bluff is a very profitable line.

If this guy was a true calling station, I'd be fast-folding to the river shove, because he'll show you a flush almost always. (Loose passives don't raise with the nuts on the flop or turn. They love slowplaying early streets and overbetting the river).
This guy is a just a spew tard. I'd love to see his post-flop stats. Just based on this hand, I'd expect his per-street AF to be 1-1-5 or something like that. If someone's river AF is higher than their flop and turn AF, they are often bluffing missed draws etc. (Most winning players' AF numbers decline from street to street).

EDIT, for emphasis. You don't "bluff catch vs loose passives" (as per the thread title). You value-bet them, and fold to their raises. This guy might have had LP pre-flop stats, but it's clear he's not a total station post-flop.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun May 05, 2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old
Sun May 05, 2013, 08:19 PM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote:
Well played, good thought process as well for a NL2 Player imo, think you are gonna move up soon if you keep on thinking through hands like this.
I think I'm ready for 5NL but my bankroll is not. I like a big bankroll for the stakes I'm playing at in order to feel comfortable. Rushed and took shots at 5NL before but I didn't play my A game and the bankroll swings tilted me, many buy ins were lost, enough said.

Quote:
b/f river for me; If I think he is passive, I'm looking to fold when he raises us at any point in the hand. Looks like he's not that passive after all.
I would have folded to a raise on earlier streets as well. He called 2 Streets on that board w/ 88 so I think he is that loose passive, guess everyone has one bluff in them .

Quote:
I'd bet-fold the river. Loose-passives typically aren't capable of turning hands with marginal showdown value into bluffs.

If you do decide to check the river to induce a bluff, it's because you know villain is capable of bluffing. In that case, checking to induce and then snapping off the bluff is a very profitable line.
Honestly at the time I didn't think he would be dumb enough to call a bet with worse (let alone 88, not like one of the super stations) and did not want to be forced with a tough decision if I was raised. I was comfortable with the size of the pot at the time, that would have been very good value for KQ from the blinds imo. I just used the guideline "will worse hands call? will better hands fold" and trusted my reads.

Cheers.

Last edited by Low Rated; Sun May 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Quoting ~

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com