Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

what would you do?

Old
Default
what would you do? - Sun May 05, 2013, 12:36 AM
(#1)
loucetios's Avatar
Since: May 2012
Posts: 17
BronzeStar


so the villain was a predictable player in this tournament. bet when he had something he could win with and folded everything else. in this hand i suspected he had a flush draw.... so if my calculations were right at the time i had a 68% chance to win and he had a 32% chance to hit his flush. what do you guys think about this hand. ill let you know what he had if you havent guessed it already.
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 06:46 AM
(#2)
ArtySmokesPS's Avatar
Since: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,353
Can you let us know what kind of tournament this was? (SnG, STT/MTT, league game, freeroll, buy-in etc). The best play will depend on the structure of the game.


Bracelet Winner
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 07:55 AM
(#3)
Shichi-77's Avatar
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 607
Hi,
In a MTT I would raise preflop to 450 or 500, just calling isn't good game for me, if he calls there will be 1050 in the pot,after Cbet on the flop at about 400-500 and I would call his shove for sure, there are many weaker hands which may play that way. but there is possible set of 2's or 8's which where defending from flush draw also weaker flushes with jack or queen high.

Last edited by Shichi-77; Sun May 05, 2013 at 07:57 AM..
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 08:04 AM
(#4)
chuckkky's Avatar
Since: Dec 2010
Posts: 913
Raise or Shove Pre Flop
As played
raise , reraise shove any flop without an Ace.

too short to be tricky

Last edited by chuckkky; Sun May 05, 2013 at 08:07 AM..
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 08:20 AM
(#5)
Shichi-77's Avatar
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 607
I would shove any flop, even with Ace
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 12:19 PM
(#6)
loucetios's Avatar
Since: May 2012
Posts: 17
BronzeStar
its a $1.50 SnG
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 01:30 PM
(#7)
Shichi-77's Avatar
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 607
for how many players? for 18 or 9 I would fold .
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 02:50 PM
(#8)
loucetios's Avatar
Since: May 2012
Posts: 17
BronzeStar
it was 9 ppl. i was trying to be sneaky because the whole game i had crap cards and they wouldnt have suspected anything with me in the small blind
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 02:54 PM
(#9)
Shichi-77's Avatar
Since: Jul 2012
Posts: 607
I would fold, it's very important to get into ITM in sng's . 10bb's are playable there. Even understanding that big stack might push on me on the bubble even with an air .

Last edited by Shichi-77; Sun May 05, 2013 at 02:57 PM..
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 04:23 PM
(#10)
ArtySmokesPS's Avatar
Since: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,353
I don't recommend being "sneaky". There's much more value to be had by playing your hands straightforwardly. Slowplaying can put you in really tricky spots, because you haven't narrowed a villain's range by raising pre.

In this hand, I'd raise to 450 and call a shove (only one hand is beating you, and the next best is a 65/35 dog), but most of the time, you'll pick up the dead money, and 2.5bb will mean you're much closer to getting ITM.

As played, I'm folding to the flop overbet shove every single time. I have no idea how you worked out that you have 68% chance of winning if you call. With two black kings on a monotone diamond board, you're basically flipping with the nut flush draw, and you're virtually drawing dead against made flushes and sets. Hands like QJ with one diamond have a combo straight/flush draw with 47% equity against you.

Since the shortest stack has less than 10bb, you should NOT be taking a flip in this spot. Fold the kings and you have a much better than 50% chance of making the money.


Bracelet Winner
 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 04:33 PM
(#11)
loucetios's Avatar
Since: May 2012
Posts: 17
BronzeStar
my math got messed up somewhere.... anyway heres the rest of the hand. i was right about his flush draw

 
Old
Default
Sun May 05, 2013, 04:54 PM
(#12)
ArtySmokesPS's Avatar
Since: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,353
Hehe. I was going to guess at AA with the nut draw. You obviously got it in bad here, but I think it's a mistake to call this shove even if you think he'd make this play with something like Jh9d, because even a "junk" hand like that is a favourite to beat you!


Bracelet Winner
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com