Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Next Pro

Old
Next Pro - Mon May 06, 2013, 04:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
BronzeStar
i want to take part in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 07:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybluffer View Post
i want to take part in the bankroll builder promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 09:34 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello joybluffer,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar

How could I have played this hand better?

I had already passed the Basic Course before i came to about this promotion. Do I have to take the quiz again or am i done?

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#5)
Thanks for that, we'll have the hand analysis done shortly, then I'll give you your next steps

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 07:25 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi joybluffer!

The first tip that I'd recommend is to always wait until the BB to start playing. Paying extra BB's over and over will be a HUGE drain to a player's bankroll.

With AKs in the cutoff, I will make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 6 limpers (and yes the post counts too), I will raise to 9BB or 18.

I totally miss a 7-way flop. When it checks to me, I'm going to check here for pot control. With this many opps, someone could easily have a pair and have me beat. If I did make a c-bet here, I'd need to make a pot-sized bet due to the abnormally high number of opps in the hand. I do not want to bet lower than this, as it gives the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me (if I'm not already behind). I want to be making bets where I expect to gain chips, not ones where the opps expect to gain chips.

When an opp raises the flop bet, I need to muck. I basically have nothing, as I've only got ace high.

If I was still in the hand on the turn (which I would never be), I need to call the bet of 4 here. Raising gives me the WRONG odds to draw, so the opps will expect to gain chips from this bet... not me gaining chips. When re-raised, I absolutely need to muck.

The key here is to muck unmade hands when I'm priced out to draw. By staying in hands like this, I'm going to lose chips on average, each and every bet that is made... which is something that I do not want to do.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 01:42 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I have completed all three steps

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 05:24 AM
(#8)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 12:14 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar

Should I have called his raise on the river? (btw i know my c bet on the flop was way too small, i wanted to bet $0.22 but did that accidentally )

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 02:35 PM
(#10)
Thanks for posting the hand for analysis, but I notice that it is from a $0.02/0.05 game. Under the terms of the Bankroll Builder promotion, if you play anything other than full ring (9-player) $0.01/0.02 NL cash games with your Bankroll Builder bonus money you could disqualify yourself from any further bonuses. We'll let it go this time so please post a 2NL ($0.01/0.02) hand.

All the best at the tables

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 04:54 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joybluffer View Post

Should I have called his raise on the river? (btw i know my c bet on the flop was way too small, i wanted to bet $0.22 but did that accidentally )
Hi joybluffer

Opening utg with is great and 3bb or 4bb is standard. Without a read I am inclined to put the bb on a fairly wide range of hands. Your flop bet as you pointed out was on the small side. Since the board is somewhat connected with the 6 and 7, betting 22 cents would have been fine. As played, you get min-raised by the bb. Min-raises like this are typically tells of very weak hands or very strong hands. Without a read and based on his preflop call, I would think a weaker hand most likely. Often villains will be semi-bluffing with a drawing hand.

Calling is fine, but you need to plan ahead. Your call tells the opponent that you still like your hand. When he checks the turn, I would recommend betting about 70% of the pot. This will usually win the hand right there. If you get called you need to be careful though. As played, you both check and the river makes a straight fairly likely. Without a read I strongly suggest folding to his bet. You have nothing but high card. So the only hand you would beat on the river would be a bluff. Don't take that risk.

AKs is a great starting hand, but it is not a made hand. Folding on missed boards like this is an important lesson to learn. Good fold.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 02:00 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
I am terribly sorry for my mistake. Here is another hand where i lost all my bonus.

How can you know when someone has hit a set? (The villain was playing loose and aggressive)

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 04:39 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

1) To put pressure on the villain
2) To bluff someone
3) To gain value from very strong hands

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 07:01 AM
(#14)
Great, thanks for posting the hand. We'll have the analysis for you shortly and information on the next step. Just let me know when you pass the Cash Game quiz

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi joybluffer! I'll take a look at your latest hand.

A villain you describe as loose and aggressive opens with a standard raise UTG. This guy would have to be extremely loose for me to call with KJ here, as you're in pretty early position yourself. KJ is a "rookie hand" that doesn't make much money, and if you call here, there are still 5 players still to act, and it's likely that at least one of them has a better hand than yours. There's also no law against the LAG villain having a real hand. I would recommend you fold KJ in this spot. In fact, the only hands you should really be calling raises with pre-flop should be pairs JJ-22, suited aces, and some suited connectors like 76s. With all of the above "speculative hands", you're much better off calling in late position. In MP1, I'm folding nearly everything, because someone could make a squeeze play (a big re-raise) and force you to fold.

As played, you call the 6c and surprisingly no one else calls, so you see a flop of 542 in position. This flop is really bad for your hand, and pretty good for villain's range. If he has any ace, he has at least a gutshot draw and an overcard. If he has a pocket pair, it's an overpair, a set, or an open-ended straight draw. He can also have a flush draw. You've just got two overcards and no draw. Since you have a maximum of 6 outs, you should be folding on this flop. You can't call and hope to get lucky.
Calling here when you have little equity is called "floating". The float play can work well if the villain is a "one-and-done" c-bettor, meaning he'll c-bet the flop, but give up on the turn, allowing you to take the pot away by betting with any two cards. But this is quite an advanced play and it's not recommended unless you have a good read on your opponent. At 2NL, floating won't work all that often.
On the turn, you get kind of lucky and make top pair. Villain makes a pot-sized bet here. That show of strength indicates the king does not scare him. Villain either connected very well on the flop, or he just made top pair and feels good about it. There is no scope for raising his bet here. On the rare occasions he's bluffing, you won't get any value by raising, because he'll fold all his bluffs. The correct play here is to just call, to try and keep the pot at a manageable size. Raising means you're "value-owning" yourself. Since no worse hands than KJ are calling the raise, villain is only continuing with hands that beat you! Your raise allows villain to play perfectly against you. He loves that you apparently have a king, because his set is way ahead. In fact, you're drawing dead. Getting all in when you're drawing dead is not profitable.
You asked the question "How can you know when someone has hit a set?" and the answer is you don't know, but you can narrow a villain's range based on his betting actions. If you'd been the player with the betting lead, then villain would probably raise the flop or the turn. Turn raises in particular tend to mean "I can beat top pair". Since villain was leading out, it's slightly harder to put him on a hand, but the fact that he made a full pot-sized bet on the turn, when a king would usually be a scare card, shows that he must have a very strong hand, which on this board would be AA, KK, AK, A3, 55, 44, 22, 54, or the nut flush draw + gutshot with . Watch out for bet sizing tells. Villains tend to make their bets a little smaller when they have weaker hands. A pot-sized bet, or a big raise, is a tell of a very strong hand. One pair, jack kicker is not a very strong hand, so you should be folding.

In future, be more careful with the range of hands you call pre-flop raises with, and be aware of your position. Stick with more speculative hands that either smash the flop, or miss completely, so you have easy decisions. Calling raises with KJ (or AT, or QJ etc) will not be profitable. When you see a flop and you completely miss, get out of the way before it costs you a whole lot of money.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu May 09, 2013 at 01:10 PM..

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 12:01 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
i have completed all three tasks from step 2

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 01:20 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
I have passed the cash game quiz and completed the other tasks as well

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
i have completed all three tasks

Old
Sat May 11, 2013, 05:37 PM
(#19)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello joybluffer,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
I have earned 10VPPs

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com