Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

QKo

Old
QKo - Mon May 06, 2013, 01:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

Just got this hand in the open league, i know you shouldnt slow play trips but the board was dry and i was wondering can i check the flop here sometimes, especially against big stacks.

Last edited by mike2198; Mon May 06, 2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 04:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mike2198!

With KQo in the cutoff and a limper in front of me, I'm going to limp behind here. If I did raise, I'd need to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (240). Any smaller raise can give the opps the correct odds to draw to beat me, which is something that I do not want to do.

I flop trip Q and when it checks to me, I am going to make my standard value bet for two opps in the hand with me, which is a 2/3 pot bet (360).

Checking the flop here, especially in a league game will be nothing but trouble and early in a league game is huge trouble, as when I lose, I'm probably going to get stacked and a BIG negative league score. The opps that don't care about the end of the month leaderboard will be getting the correct odds to outdraw me... which means that I would DESERVE TO LOSE the hand.
When I'm ahead, I want to be making value bets where if the opp calls, they expect to lose chips to me. If I make plays that are too small (checking or not betting enough)... then the opps will expect to gain chips from MY bets... which is a big problem.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 05:22 PM
(#3)
Yh i thought as much i just wanted to get the max chips out of these hands and when they checked i knew they had nothing, i think worst case scenario there would be i checked they had pocket 3s or something and they bet the turn i raise and they call to hit there 3 on the river.

I can understand on a wet board i would never slow play was just thinking how often would they suck out on a dry board.

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 05:47 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
If a villain has pocket 3s, you're usually losing your stack, as he flopped a boat. This board is really dry, so villains can't have a draw as such, but there's still value to be had. Many villains won't give you credit for a queen, so they'll call with all pocket pairs and sometimes ace high too. Even though a pocket pair only has 2 outs to beat you, you don't want it having a free chance to do so. And if a villain calls with Ax and hit the ace on the turn, you'll be getting 2 or 3 streets instead of 1 or 2. I really wouldn't recommend slowplaying unless you had top boat or quads, and even sometimes with those hands you can get called by worse.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 07:36 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
If a villain has pocket 3s, you're usually losing your stack, as he flopped a boat. This board is really dry, so villains can't have a draw as such, but there's still value to be had. Many villains won't give you credit for a queen, so they'll call with all pocket pairs and sometimes ace high too. Even though a pocket pair only has 2 outs to beat you, you don't want it having a free chance to do so. And if a villain calls with Ax and hit the ace on the turn, you'll be getting 2 or 3 streets instead of 1 or 2. I really wouldn't recommend slowplaying unless you had top boat or quads, and even sometimes with those hands you can get called by worse.

Just realized what i did there if they had pocket 3s i would of lost anyway what i meant was on that board Q3Q if checked and they bet and i raised they would fold any other pair like 4s or they might just call my raise check the river i check behind if i dont improve but if i make a boat well then i can go for value.

What im saying is if i went that line how often would that underpair or over pair make a boat.

Oh i didn't realize when i put pocket 3s in that example that a 3 was on the board of my hand i posted up i should of checked the hand, i think thats twice i done a bad example like that now can you see what im saying surely i could milk a few extra chips out of pairs if i check that flop or a bluffy player id just have to put up with a big loss every now and again, i dont mean on every flop just the odd dry board with a few oops in the pot.

Im just trying to find a way to get big stack so i can play better preflop im sure if i had a stack big enough i could take pots down without seeing a flop with a nice chunky stack but when your a baby stack they just call you wider.

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 07:52 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Im just trying to find a way to get big stack so i can play better preflop im sure if i had a stack big enough i could take pots down without seeing a flop with a nice chunky stack but when your a baby stack they just call you wider.
In a league game... that's a losing proposition, as the one time you get a big stack will be well outweighed by the numerous times you get a LARGE negative point total. Having a big stack will NOT deter anyone in them, honestly, you'll probably get MORE action.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 05:25 AM
(#7)
Ok il just keep to my standard play then i just got fancy now and it failed miserably would of put me on a nice stack as well, just had an 8k finish very bad its a good job im in a 100th place overall.

I only want to finish above 500 thats why im using free rolls to practice with but you guys are right this fancy stuff don't pay off, just once in a while.

I guess i could just play standard i would probably be like 50th by now ive knocked myself out early 3 times getting fancy still you cant compete with these players playing like every game, the rules should be like your top 5 finishes a week count towards a final score that way it would be balanced and not who gets the most games in.

Last edited by mike2198; Tue May 07, 2013 at 05:30 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com