Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Mon May 06, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
I would like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 06:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 09:44 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello DracoPTG,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 07:17 PM
(#4)

I have a few questions about this hand. First of all I'm not sure if raising pre-flop with AJ instead of just calling was a good decision. Second, I think my raise on the flop was pretty weak. I could have been more aggressive since I had top pair. And third, after the river I was afraid that villain_8 would have a Qx hitting a straight but I chose to call his bet. Was it a good call?

I watched the videos and I'm working on the Quiz.

Last edited by DracoPTG; Tue May 07, 2013 at 07:20 PM..

Old
Tue May 07, 2013, 07:39 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DracoPTG!

With AJ on the button, I get three limps in front of me. I'll make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I'll raise to 6BB or 12 chips.
I do not want to raise less than this, as I'll be giving the opps the correct odds to beat me, plus I will get no information about their hands.
Also, by keeping my bets standard, I will conceal the strength of my hand and keep the opps guessing as to the cards that I have.

I flop top pair on a board with flush and straight draws. I now get an abnormally small bet from the opp to my right. I need to raise here and the raise amount will be based on the number of opps in the hand. With 5 opps in the hand, I need to make a pot-sized raise and I will do so by raising to 27.
Raising less here does nothing but to give the opps the correct odds to try to beat me and they will expect to win chips off of me by making this bet... something that I do not want to do.

The turn gives me two pair and I have the same opp make another abnormally small bet. If I checked to me, with three opps, I'd need to make a 3/4 pot bet, so with their small bet, I now need to raise by 3/4 pot. Due to this, I will bet 59 chips.
Once again, any bet smaller than this here gives the opps the right odds to draw... which means that on average, I will LOSE chips by making the smaller bet... a play that I do not want to do.

The river brings a K, which could be big trouble, as the player on my right could easily have AK here. When they bet 68, since my hand does have showdown value, I'm going to call the bet and go to showdown.

The keys here are to make standard bet sizes (based on the BB size preflop and the size of the pot post-flop)... not more, not less.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have passed the quiz.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 02:23 PM
(#6)
I have passed the quiz!!

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 03:25 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant DracoPTG!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 08:40 PM
(#8)

3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet:

- to gain value from very strong hands
- to protect against strong draws
- to put pressure on opponents

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 07:05 AM
(#9)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Draco! You got a good result in this hand, but you didn't play it in a way that has a long term positive expectation. It's not +EV to play 66 in the way you did.

With 66 on the button, you're in a perfect spot to go set-mining. I'd be happy to call a standard raise of 3bb (6c) here and then if I flop a set of trips, I'll be betting and raising, trying to win a big pot. If I don't spike a set, I won't put any more money in the pot, because a lowly pair or sixes is unlikely to be the best hand at showdown.
As played, there's just a minraise to 4c UTG and a caller in the CO. You should be calling too, because you have a bargain price to go set-mining in a multiway pot. Making a minraise to 6c serves no purpose. Villains aren't going to fold for an extra 2c, and you'll still need to hit a set to beat them. With a speculative hand, you want to keep the pot small until you hit the flop. After your raise, the BB raises again. This re-raise represents a monster hand. I'd expect villain to have AK or QQ+ almost always. This pot is starting to get big now, and your stack size is getting smaller. It's a close decision here, because you only have to call another 4c, but if you hit a set, you could double your stack. With these implied odds, I think it's OK to call, but I'd never be calling 10c to go set-mining if I hadn't already put money in the pot.
You call and see a flop of T42 3-handed. The last raiser makes a c-bet of 6c into 35c. This is a very weird bet-size. It's standard to bet at least half the pot. Villain might be looking for action with QQ+, or he could genuinely be worried you have him beat, because he has AK. Nevertheless, I'd stick with the original plan. You failed to hit a set, so should fold at the first opportunity. "No set, no bet." and "You didn't spike, so take a hike" are sayings I use for this situation. The problem with calling is that even if villain has AK, he has a good chance to improve his hand, but you only have 2 outs to a set. It's not going to be profitable in the long run if you call on every street with an underpair.
You call and villain bets small again on the turn. Again, you should be folding. If you really think villain has AK, then you should probably raise now to make him pay for the chance to hit his ace or king. When villain makes a pot-sized bet on the river, I'm out of there in a hurry. It looks like he had QQ+ all along and was trapping you by betting small. I don't like your river call, even though you won the hand. If you turn yourself into a calling station with an underpair, you'll lose a lot of money in the long run. Villains won't be bluffing anywhere near as often as you might think. Their big bets will represent big hands, so you should give them more credit.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 11:59 AM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi DracoPTG!

Please let me know when you have passed the cash game quiz.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 06:26 PM
(#11)
Yeah, I figured I was lucky to win this one. I'll have to be more careful in the future. Thanks for the advice.

I passed the quiz!

Old
Thu May 09, 2013, 06:42 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello DracoPTG,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 07:04 AM
(#13)
What's the best way to earn VPPs? I've earn 2 VPPs since the last bonus and it's taking forever. Should I go for a SNG?

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 07:09 AM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoPTG View Post
What's the best way to earn VPPs? I've earn 2 VPPs since the last bonus and it's taking forever. Should I go for a SNG?
Hi there,

For this promotion ONLY play $0.01/$0.02 cent real money full ring tables.

If you play other formats it may mean that you won't be eligible for any more bonuses.

The target of 10 VPP's can be achieved and if you make it it's a good sign that you are applying what you are learning and well on the way to becoming a successful and profitable poker player.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri May 10, 2013, 09:30 AM
(#15)
Thank you for the clarification

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 12:07 PM
(#16)

I lost the money. This was the hand I lost most of it. I decided to take the risk and go for the draw but it was a bad call. I should have folded instead of going all in.

Last edited by DracoPTG; Sun May 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoPTG View Post

I lost the money. This was the hand I lost most of it. I decided to take the risk and go for the draw but it was a bad call. I should have folded instead of going all in.
Hi DracoPTG

With limping along and playing the hand as a speculative hand is fine, as well as raising as you did. However, when your get 3-bet and a caller I strongly suggest folding. You will far too often be dominated by an ace with a better kicker, or be facing a decent pocket pair. It is just not worth taking the risk. I prefer waiting for a better spot.

On the flop, you are not getting the correct odds to call the all in. You will only make the nut flush about 1 in 3 times. Any bet over 50% of the pot will be giving you bad odds. Here you are calling a bet slighly larger than the pot which means you will be losing these situations over time.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sun May 12, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello DracoPTG,

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 4th bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#19)

I lost again. I never expected him to have a high pair since he limped pre-flop. I was expecting him to have a lower pair or at least two facecards. I lasted way more this time though. I think I earned 5 VPPs from this bonus alone.

Old
Sun May 19, 2013, 03:29 PM
(#20)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com