Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KK open league

Old
Smile
KK open league - Mon May 06, 2013, 07:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

This is one of those moments where i think even if i shove my kk this big stack is calling, not sure but do you think instead of raising the 1st bet 2.5 just to get maximum chips back i should just shove them all in with my stack size i think i might of just had a big enough stack to get him off those 2s not sure though.

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 07:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mike2198!

With KK from MP, I get a limp in front of me. With a premium made hand, there are 2 ways that I can go about this. First would be to make a standard raise to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper (4200) or since I have a premium made hand, I can shove (the only hands I'd even consider shoving preflop in a league game are AA, KK and possibly QQ if my stack's small enough).
I would absolutely NOT bet less than 4200, as all that will do is to give the opps the correct odds to try
to outdraw me... which I do not want to do, as the opps will expect to GAIN chips from me by calling my bet!

While I do want to be cautious in a league game, I do not want to give the opps a +EV draw to beat me and due to that, in the small number of hands that I do play, I will play them aggressively. Betting too small and inviting others into hands is only going to increase the % of the times that I lose, as I'll lose more often, the more opps that are in a pot.

I want to play these very tight, but aggressive... I do not want to be passive in them.

I don't know if shoving would get the opp off the pair of 2's (probably won't), but I'd be much happier shoving and getting 2-outed, than betting small and giving the opp a +EV draw where they expect to gain chips from me. At least with a standard raise or a shove, they expect to lose chips to me by calling.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon May 06, 2013, 07:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
For me, with the blinds on 600/1200 with only 7 BB left, this is a super easy shove. You don't want to raise small here as you are giving the correct odds for another player to call with a hand like 2s, and even more so when the big stack will inevitably call.

Shove the hand, so you don't get in a multiway pot, and increase your odds of doubling up through the big stack.

The other point is, once you raise to the amount you did, you are then pot committed as you will have less than a pot size bet once the big stack calls. Better to get it all in pre-flop. Unlucky to run into a set.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com