Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16NL - QQ facing donkbet on wet flop 3way

Old
16NL - QQ facing donkbet on wet flop 3way - Tue May 07, 2013, 06:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Another QQ spot in a SRP where we are facing a donk bet.

This one's on a regular 16NL table. I decided to flat preflop because there was a fish on the BTN that I wanted to keep in.

CO is 20/18/1 (131 hands)
SB is 12/5/4 (61 hands)

Not so great flop for us multiway and we face a donk bet, I call to see a turn and re-evaluate. Any reason to raise now?

The turn is Th and action is checked to me; I was thinking of betting here but I was worried of getting blown off by a c/r - I think it was too paranoid from my part and a turn bet should have been in order to get value from draws + naked hearts.

When SB decides to fire this river I think our chances of being good diminishes a lot. 88 made it, sets that were planning to c/c turn continue to win against us, 77/33 are value betting.

Old
Wed May 08, 2013, 11:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi geo,

Flatting to invite a fish in has merit, as well as keeps the CO's range as wide as possible and allows you to play your QQ somewhat disguised in position against that wide range, so I don't mind this play at all.

I would generally raise this flop bet though. The donk out is typically indicative of a 1 pair hand trying to "protect" vs overs or a draw semi-bluffing. Since he didn't 3b preflop it's unlikely he has KK or AA. And since V1 doesn't raise the donk bet, it's also unlikely HE has KK or AA or a set. So I expect us to have the best hand right now quite often here, and by just calling we are giving both of them a free card to outdraw us. Which makes the turn quite difficult as we don't know which cards outdraw us and there are a lot of cards that are scary (A, K, 8, 7, 6, 3, 2, hearts) and almost none we love (just the 2 Q's). Raising now denies this free card and makes the hand much easier to play imo.

As played I would bet the turn, and fold to a check/raise. Your draw is fairly weak, don't be worried about being blown off weak draws, it's big draws we don't want ot be blown off of.

Fold river to this large a bet imo, all we have is a bluff catcher, and although our line has induced bluffs, I'm not sure what he could be bluffing with here other than a hand like A6.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com